Vassalage because keeping only one city is silly

Naokaukodem

Millenary King
I think a system of surrendering should exist in future Civs.

You can already sign a peace treaty in your favor, the AI giving you all its cities, but there's always one city you can't have from peace treaties.

I think it would be cool (yeah, just cool) to be able to conquer a whole civ in a peace treaty. Anyway, a civ with one city left only is pretty dead already.

In the case of city states, they should be able to surrender with the promise of no pillaging / letting their people safe. I don't know what kind of benefit it could translate on in game, sure. But I'm sure some of you could have ideas about that.

The same type of advantages could occur with a civ giving us EVERY of its cities.

Because let's face it, giving all its cities with only one left is not some kind of sweet move. It's already a dead end. Actually, the only reason I can see so far to a civ doing this, is that it still acts as a voter, be it for united nations (which seems broken in Civ5 as no civ is voting for no other) or... denouncings. And as far as I know, denouncing serves pretty... nothing. So an AI giving us all its cities except one is still one of a silly move we should no see in future Civs.

In Civ4, there was something near that : Vassalage. I don't remember the benefits it was giving to the king, I think they were too weak, but I know that the vassal had the possibility to build an army and then rebel. I think it would be a cool thing for that idea. But, I think also that the advantages for vassalizing should be greater than in Civ4. I think that every bit of science production should go to the King, at a rate of 100%.

The vassal should not need science for example, as the King's civ science would become his. (He may be able to build more modern units) If the vassal rebels, he start off anew with base of start his ancient King's civ science. I think that situations like Japan catching up with everybody else in some years would be possible then.

Gold would remain to vassals. But you could fix a tax. If the tax is too high, the vassal may rebel.

You could trade food for free or for an advantaging price.

Production would remain the full property of vassals. They could build more money buildings and become richer, in that case you can tax them more. They could build science buildings, in that case it's all good for you.

Vassalaging could grant you instant great benefices. You would earn a whole civ science with only one move. But, you had to beware that the army of your vassals do not grow too much : they could quickly become a threat.

You could assign quests to your vassals, army quests. Like, defending this, attacking this, supporting war against X, etc... as to make sure their army does not grow too much.

Do you have any idea as to how vassalage in future civs should work ? Or how it should work in Civ5 ? Do you think in the state it's OP or do you have additionnal data to communicate ? thx.

In some games I wouldn't mind paying some tax to another empire for them to handle military matters and barbarians while I retain Sovereignty.

However, I don't think AIs or players aside friends are trustworthy enough to make that work: if I have to maintain a military just in case they backstab, it kinda defeats the point.

On the other hand, if it was somehow made more profitable than puppeting and without any unhappiness gain, some might hold true to such deals.

Its not too far removed from a formal Alliance system based on something other than the erratic behavior of AIs.

I thought vassals in civ 4 worked perfectly, but I know a lot of people disagree, so I'm sure some kind of compromise could be made.

Vassaling was awesome to me, and it served to keep things more immersive and realistic, b/c yeah, keeping one city IS silly. However.. if i recall there was a stupid vassaling exploit or something that was done a lot. Maybe that's why the concept went away, idk.

I liked vassalage a lot à la civ4. There definitely was room for improvement but I would heartily approve the return of this feature with some tweaks.

Vassalage in Civ4 was good particularly because it allowed to shortcut the nasty "newly conquered culture is overrided by remaining cities culture", making key cities capture useless and war effort enormous, not even considering war weariness.

In fact, it was giving such an anecdotic benefit (compared to true conquest or razing / founding) that translated into Civ5, the advantages wouldn't jump into our faces.

In this topic I translated it into Civ5, which translates into more concrete benefits (100% science transfers) vs more concrete cons. (still able to build units and rebel like in Civ4, plus earning all vassalaging civ science in case of rebellion)

In that design vassalage is meant to be a short term benefit, as to help simulate the realistic transformations of geopolitics in the world into the game as I always wanted to do. (power changing from a civ to the other, with no gamey dead ends like with Civ5 liberated civs that have a bad science)

Top Bottom