Vel's Strategie Guide

I assume by 'strategy guide' you are referring to the msg posted there and not a separate, downloadable guide?

And while on the subject - is the Prima guide worth the money?

Man, that's quite a read. Some good points made. Highly recommended.

------------------
"The death of the science driven Prime Minister comes quickly when I shove a research beaker in one ear through to the other."

Hear now, the Word of Hippo

But it's so loooong..... zzzZZZZ

I might read it later on but not right now, even if I might actually need some help in SMAC - I don't know if it's just because I haven't really play a game to get a high score yet, but all my games seem to stop at about 300-400%. Which is very unlike me in other games like Civ2!!!

------------------
Veni Vidi Vici.

Oh my god, there are so many smilies here.

Well anyway, I've read Vel's guide and it is totally worth the "long read". It helped me a TON. I especially like the ZOC wall idea, that is awesome.

Oh, this is so sweet, you get to see the posts AND there is a spell check here.

Yes now that I have read it to, I can only agree with the rest of you - it's a must for new and medium players of SMAC. And some hard level players might also learn a thing or two from reading it.

------------------
Veni Vidi Vici.

Coolbook:
Håkan Eriksson, Stormerne, vladmir_illych_lenin, Cunobelin Of Hippo, Bluemonday.

Vel's guide is well worth the read. It helped me improve my game immensely, and I learned to develop more flexible strategies.

------------------
"Shake the world beneath your feet up"
--Johnny Clegg

if youre an experinced player the guide dosent help much

I hadn't gotten much into the depth of SMAC, mostly letting governers and automated units do my work, before this guide helped me formulate a strategy and take more control over my faction..I find it very helpful

Well, I am an extremely experienced player and the guide was three fold. The bulk of it was not helpful (learned myself). A small portion was great. It gave ideas I had not come across on my own. The last bit was worthless. All the talk about spending creds early to get turn advanced killed any game I used it in. Overall though, I say it was worth the read.

By the way, this was the review I submitted of the guide.

"I got the smax guide by Velocyrix and now the BABES are all over me. I having so much sex now I hardly have time to work. Every time I read a new chapter, I get a couple of new super models or other hot babes. All this and I have not even read the chapter on fusion powered implant enhancement or quantum powered sex toys yet."

But they did not post it. :(

Originally posted by lbores
I assume by 'strategy guide' you are referring to the msg posted there and not a separate, downloadable guide?

And while on the subject - is the Prima guide worth the money?

Well I lended it from my library and if its under $10.00 I'd say yes.

Funny that this thread popped up right when I started binging on SMAC again... Here are two versions of Vel's guide I came across recently, accessible for free as of January 2024.
Despite the lower version number, the WePlayCiv guide does seem like "the" thing, it's authored only by Vel and is more consistent in style and presentation. Also, the forum format is easier to navigate. OTOH the GameFAQs version has a lot of reference material (stats, hotkeys etc.), and ends with a diverse collection of tips by different players - so take your pick.

Last edited:
I think the archived 4.0 is probably the most up to date and the actual final one, yes. I'll ask Vel and re-host his guide on WPC or Apolyton as a Markdown file or something when I have the time.

Top Bottom