Venatian strategy, Pacifism and Free Trade

NJC

Chieftain
Venice is perhaps the most unique faction that exists in the latest Civilization V expansion, 'A Brave New World' requiring a unique campaign strategy non-existent in other civilizations.

THE FIRST FEW TURNS
Yes, we all love exploring for ruins but never allow your starting warrior to stray too far away from the capitol (especially in raging barbarian mode).

WHY
Venice can only directly control the production of one of its cities, its capital, making it the foundation of all wonder-production (which Venice will need a lot of!!!). This is especially important since Venice can only expand by making puppet states through its Great Merchant bonus. Without a well-guarded capital, Venice is done for

SCIENCE RUSH
Technology is central to all civilizations, especially Venice who with a slow rate of expansion through great merchants will rely heavily upon its capital and great people against larger nations who's libraries, universities and population outnumber their own. Attain philosophy as early as possible for the "Collage" which increases scientific points by 50%, from their gather other necessary techs for technology and then its straight to universities

SOCIAL POLICY AND EARLY EXPANSION
Both liberty and tradition should be invested in, liberty solely for "collective rule" so the "merchant of venice" may be attained and tradition for its small civilization bonuses including 15% wonder production (especially when combined with the 15% ancient-classical wonder production increase from the pantheon 'wonders of the gods'). From here, its time to wonder spam due to the inherent bonuses they grant to civilizations and more importantly, the great people points they grant.

THE MEDIEVAL-RENAISSANCE ERA
By the renaissance or hopefully earlier, nearby barbarians will be almost completely wiped out, great people productions excelling from a vast array of wonders and Venice holds one of the highest yields of tile output in the world.
If so, you've played your cards right, a few galleys should protect sea lanes from which trade cogs could expand upon.

FREE TRADE
These trade cogs should always play a duel role of trading with other civilizations for gold + science and promoting internal growth (food + production). Remember, Venice has double the amount of trade route's, providing them a unique opportunity to grow cities safely so long as trade routes are protected. They are literally the lifeblood of Venice from the Medieval-Renaissance era onwards.

THE MILITARY
As the capital focuses heavily on civilian production, the great merchant can attain armies from city states early game whilst mid games rapid growth in gold production provides an alternative route based almost solely on purchasing units, a strategy made possible by staying out of almost all wars in the early era of the game. (Note, if you start next to the Zulu's and are new to the game simply restart, Venice requires a long-term game strategy of pacifism and trade easily interrupted by militarist civilizations short term strategies).

PUPPET STATES
Puppet states attained through great merchants provide valuable resources for Venice and are best located along coastlines for trading purposes unless ofcourse a major resource like coals spotted inland. They are largely capable of looking after themselves in the new game and don't solely focus on producing coin as they did in previous games, often prioritizing scientific and cultural production. However they do lag behind military building and unit production. To get around this, simply buy them in the puppet state(its one of Venices special abilities,)

TRADE ROUTES WITH OTHER NATIONS
Despite Venice's ability to double potential trade routes its advisable (particularly if your playing raging barbarians in the advanced settings) to wait until trade lanes are made safe by your own or other nations. In terms of production they are very expensive early game (particularly trade lanes) and can throw back Venice's development if its looted by pirates or barbarians.

TRADE ROUTES WITH VENICE'S PUPPET STATES
Internal Trade is fundamental for Venice's growth as a nation, by placing merchants home city in the capital and its puppet states, each may provide massive food and production bonuses to one another based (particularly if along sea trade routes). This makes Venice distinct to other civilizations as its 'Serinisimo' ability doubles the number of trade routes available, making it possible to support internal growth and foreign trade at the same time so long as its routes are protected

AFTER THE RENAISSANCE
By now Venice's culture and economy should be leading the world. Generally its advisable to focus from here on either a technological, cultural or diplomatic victory (thence making Freedom its obvious ideology). The game here onwards would be of your own making, the only advice I could give is to switch trade ships based on local trade to foreign trade as cities should be well established by now.

I rolled a fully random game today and ended up with Venice, which I hadn't played before. Never seen anything like it - I was well in the lead almost from the start, earning over 150 gpt before using my extra trade routes to boot. I rushed to key Wonders and then to Currency to spit out Merchants as quickly as possible. I even won the World's Fair despite having only one city I could use to produce it.

I opened with Tradition - I was in a tundra area with some marble, and taking that and the Tradition belief I raced through some key early Wonders, including the Lighthouse and Stonehenge (to which I've since added Djenne, Globe Theatre, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Hanging Gardens, The Oracle and am just finishing Porcelain Tower. Only missed out on Mausoleum, Notre Dame and Forbidden Palace of the ones I aimed at. I'm now at war with Austria in alliance with France and the Aztecs, so hopefully I'll get a chance to take the Palace from them).

I followed early Tradition policies with Piety, and ended up with the following religious beliefs:

Pantheon: Fertility Rites (obvious utility for a single-city civ)
Founder: Tithe (I find it hard to justify anything else in BNW, but with Venice particularly)
Follower 1: Mosques (other buildings were taken)
Follower 2: Religious Community (lots of hammers for building those Wonders, and a city that reached 15 followers almost as soon as I took this).
Enhancer: Religious Texts
Reformation: To the Glory of God (so I can bypass Commerce and go straight for Rationalism and still faith-buy MoVs on demand).

It helped that Buddhism was spread to La Venta, with the pantheon giving faith for tundra - when I took it, I promptly created a missionary there and sent it to Venice so that I could add that pantheon to my bonuses.

Just about to enter the Industrial era, so I should be spamming MoVs any minute (so far I have three CSes, and lucked out a little - Geneva had the Great Barrier Reef in its borders, so that was the target for the first MoV spawned after I found it, La Venta has Mt Fuji). The third CS, Zanzibar, is somewhat substandard in its tundra placement, but I ended up settling Venice in an area that turned out to be blocked by ice at either end, so I needed an outlet to the sea quickly. Plus I got an early We Love the King boost from Zanzibar's furs.

As for trade, I'm now earning 270+ gpt - I just buy cargo ships as and when I need them, I've built maybe one.

I agree! After playing a few Venice games myself I want to add that getting the Hanging Gardens wonder provides a huge boost for Venice. Since you get the extra food, you can focus on production.

I rolled a fully random game today and ended up with Venice, which I hadn't played before. Never seen anything like it - I was well in the lead almost from the start, earning over 150 gpt before using my extra trade routes to boot. I rushed to key Wonders and then to Currency to spit out Merchants as quickly as possible. I even won the World's Fair despite having only one city I could use to produce it.

I opened with Tradition - I was in a tundra area with some marble, and taking that and the Tradition belief I raced through some key early Wonders, including the Lighthouse and Stonehenge (to which I've since added Djenne, Globe Theatre, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Hanging Gardens, The Oracle and am just finishing Porcelain Tower. Only missed out on Mausoleum, Notre Dame and Forbidden Palace of the ones I aimed at. I'm now at war with Austria in alliance with France and the Aztecs, so hopefully I'll get a chance to take the Palace from them).

I followed early Tradition policies with Piety, and ended up with the following religious beliefs:

Pantheon: Fertility Rites (obvious utility for a single-city civ)
Founder: Tithe (I find it hard to justify anything else in BNW, but with Venice particularly)
Follower 1: Mosques (other buildings were taken)
Follower 2: Religious Community (lots of hammers for building those Wonders, and a city that reached 15 followers almost as soon as I took this).
Enhancer: Religious Texts
Reformation: To the Glory of God (so I can bypass Commerce and go straight for Rationalism and still faith-buy MoVs on demand).

It helped that Buddhism was spread to La Venta, with the pantheon giving faith for tundra - when I took it, I promptly created a missionary there and sent it to Venice so that I could add that pantheon to my bonuses.

Just about to enter the Industrial era, so I should be spamming MoVs any minute (so far I have three CSes, and lucked out a little - Geneva had the Great Barrier Reef in its borders, so that was the target for the first MoV spawned after I found it, La Venta has Mt Fuji). The third CS, Zanzibar, is somewhat substandard in its tundra placement, but I ended up settling Venice in an area that turned out to be blocked by ice at either end, so I needed an outlet to the sea quickly. Plus I got an early We Love the King boost from Zanzibar's furs.

As for trade, I'm now earning 270+ gpt - I just buy cargo ships as and when I need them, I've built maybe one.

Strong start mate, play your cargo ships and navy right then you should end up with a gpt of +500-1000. The military path for Venice is a difficult one though worthwhile if it connects you to the sea. Also to note is that most of Venice's unhappiness is derived from pops living in puppet states rather than the number of cities or population altogether so don't overstretch your borders, I almost made that mistake last game but stopped before it was too late.

Did military expansion for you begin before or after the Renaissance era?

I agree! After playing a few Venice games myself I want to add that getting the Hanging Gardens wonder provides a huge boost for Venice. Since you get the extra food, you can focus on production.

too true Elric445, hanging gardens boosts pop which is the main drive behind venatian scientific development from its collage and library buildings, achieve that and its smooth cruising

Venice needs three things to flourish: food, gold and Great Merchant points. With that in mind the four big ancient/classic wonders for Venice are:

The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus: If you have at least two stone/marble then this is a must have. Not too far off the tech path to civil service, it helps generate GM and gives them a small gold boost when annexing a CS. It's cheap to build, comes early and the AI doesn't build it very often. My first pick for wonder choice.

The Colossus: A bit far off track, but this one is also handy for generating GM. Best taken when you have lots of CS/Civs in range. If I have stone, then I'd rather build the MoH as that probably nets you more gold over time as it comes earlier than the Colossus. Consider this your back up wonder.

The Great Lighthouse: Again it's handy for getting those GM's out, not only does it generate a GM point, but it on the crucial tech path to getting your first free GM. Best taken if you have lots of sea resources as the free lighthouse helps food and production. The extra naval movement is handy, but not the real focus of getting this wonder. The AI seems to focus on this wonder however, so to stand a chance of building it, rushing to optics is advised. It is possible however to go to masonry for MoH first, but a bit risky (difficulty 6).

Hanging Gardens: If the lighthouse is gone or you don't have sufficient sea resources, this ones not a bad idea. Rather than looking at this wonder as extra population for science, it should be viewed as a way to power your artist guild. In the early game, you can use it to work those hill mines, but once you hit guilds, switch over to GA production for starting golden ages.

I generally try to build at least two of the above, so a good production start is needed. The wonder boost from Tradition is recomended as an early policy choice too. Regarding policies, obviously I'd go tradition, but rather than building a monument at the start of the game, I'd rather get a free one. Great Writers, and thus the ampitheater, are not crucial to Venice. Start off by building a worker to get your production going as soon as possible.

I can't help but love it's insane economy.

I agree with most of what NJC especially the part of taking both tradition and liberty. I usually never do that, but with Venice it pays off.

I suggest to start with the tradition opener, since it provides a culture boost it only slows down your MoV by a few turns and in the meantime your borders expand quickly. You really need that augmented borders expansion because you can't buy lands with puppets and you can't settle where you want.
After that beeline to get that free Mov, it should come at the same time of optics so you can get two cities in one go with already worked resources, a worker and some military units.
You'll be ahead of any other civ.

I would advise to not complete the liberty tree until late. The main disadvantage of Venice is that it can't settle where it wants so if you reach industrialization and you don't have any coal you're in a bad situation. Same if you don't get any oil. So you want to have options to get a MoV quickly and puppet a CS with the resource that you need, and completing the Liberty tree is one way to achieve that.

You don't really need it early, if you do everything right three cities will grow enough to completely use up all your happiness and by the time you'll have more the MoV should appear naturally.
Remember to get the currency tech fast so that your puppets will start producing MoV early.

the extra trade route should be used to buff your capital, have at least one sending food to it ALL the time. Late game you might want to even have three more sending hammers. In my game I was producing bombers in 2 turns standard speed.

Venice will get a lot of money once you manage to produce all those cargo ship (It's actually pretty hard to reach the max in the beginning). It is better if the capital focuses on stuff that can't be bought and use your huge amount of money to buy regular buildings.

Best wonders are Hanging garden, Colossus, Notre Dame, Tower of Pisa.
You really want to get those four. There are other ones that are pretty good but are situational, those four are a must.

Notre Dame is generally a pretty awesome wonder that let you get enough happiness to get one more city just when you need it the most, and for Venice there's the added benefit that it gives another merchant point.

Tower of Pisa boosts your great person production rate by 25% in every city and gives you one free great person right away.

I'd say that Venice can go for any victory condition, it could actually go for conquest because it will still get tons of money from its many puppets and you can still trade with civs that hate you.
Diplomatic victory is fine as long as you don't puppet too many CS. make your calculations and you should know what's your limit. Remember that you can get additional votes with the world ideology, world religion and the forbidden palace. I won a diplomatic victory as Venice at the very first chance to be elected, so I didn't even had globalization yet. Venice can really get a diplomatic victory easily with all that money. It's insane really.
Science is absolutely feasible if you get the freedom tenet that allows you to get spaceship parts with money.

The victory condition where Venice is not suited for is actually the cultural victory. The main problem is that you'll have only your capital to build all three of your guilds. Eventually you'll have enough population to fill all your slots without crippling your growth but it will take a while when other civs can go for it faster by dividing the burden in two or three cities.
It's not impossible at all but you'll be a bit handicapped on that, and you have a lot wonders to build already without adding the cultural ones in the mix.

Top Bottom