Volcanic Conquest

FortyJ

Deity
This may have already been reported, but I thought I'd post it anyway. I was experimenting with some demographics calculations when I was presented with the victory message.

To summarize, the volcano near my capitol just went active, and I assume it erupted and destroyed the city. I concluded this from the playback which indicated Paris had been destroyed. Rather than announce my defeat, however, I was presented with a victory message and a nice score.

Note: This occured while playing C3C, version 1.15 beta.

It's kind of known that when your capital is destroyed (and it's your last city), it's an automatic victory. (same for starving). The DyP team found this one a year ago. :)

In all seriousness, if this has been known for some time, and it hasn't been fixed, is it intentional then?

If so, I must say that it cheapens the thrill of victory knowing that the AI will not eliminate you from the game. It also allows for some interesting new strategies in the early stages of the game. Not to mention, it certainly makes One City Challenges quite a bit less impressive.

Originally posted by FortyJ
If so, I must say that it cheapens the thrill of victory knowing that the AI will not eliminate you from the game.

If an AI Tribe takes your last city, you don't get a victory.

I think the DyP team discovered that if you (say) build a worker from your first and only city when its still size 1, subsequently abandoning that city with the pop. loss (with no settlers obviously), you get a victory message.

Not sure if abandoning your only city with the city-screen option has the same effect.

It's a fun bug - reminds me of the 'Suicide Squad attack!' scene from Life of Brian :D

... but seriously, yes this should be fixed. I can imagine it's an annoying bug for the MP crowd too.

Originally posted by FortyJ
In all seriousness, if this has been known for some time, and it hasn't been fixed, is it intentional then?

I'm sure not. It's probably just a case of priorities. There are a few more bugs that Firaxis needed to focus on.

Last week I played the game (unpatched) on difficult level Regent playing the English. My starting point was next to a volcano and I built my capitol right there next to it. On the very first turn the volcano erupted and destroyed my capitol. I was awarded the victory with a nice 17000+ score. :king:

Top Bottom