VP (4.7) Promotion Trees Reference

L. Vern

Warlord
A lot of people were sad about promotion tree leaving and since it was bugged (didn't show all promos) and people wanted an alternative, I wrote a quick graphviz script to pull promo structure out of latest game db and draw with full default settings. Looks a bit rough but gets the job done. Also, note that these visualizations only show promotions that have a connection as the purpose is to see the relationship structure. One-of promos you get from things like wonders aren't included.
Feel free to use and copy/redistribute freely

Btw, as a CS major I feel compelled to point out this isn't a tree, as that implies each node has at most one parent. This is a Directed Acyclic Graph

Spoiler Archer :

UNITCOMBAT_ARCHER_FULL.png

Mounted Only
Requires >=2 Base Range

Spoiler Armor :

UNITCOMBAT_ARMOR.png

Spoiler Bomber :

UNITCOMBAT_BOMBER_FULL.png

Spoiler Carrier :

UNITCOMBAT_CARRIER_FULL.png

Requires >0 AirInterceptRange

Spoiler Fighter :

UNITCOMBAT_FIGHTER_FULL.png

AirSweepCapable Only

Spoiler Gunpowder :

UNITCOMBAT_GUN.png

Spoiler Gunpowder (Full) :

UNITCOMBAT_GUN_FULL.png

Spoiler Melee :

UNITCOMBAT_MELEE.png

Spoiler Melee(Full) :

UNITCOMBAT_MELEE_FULL.png

Spoiler Mounted :

UNITCOMBAT_MOUNTED.png

Last edited:
Spoiler Naval Melee :

UNITCOMBAT_NAVALMELEE_FULL.png

Spoiler Naval Ranged :

UNITCOMBAT_NAVALRANGED_FULL.png

Spoiler Recon :

UNITCOMBAT_RECON_FULL.png

Spoiler Siege :

UNITCOMBAT_SIEGE_FULL.png

Requires >=2 Base Range

Spoiler Submarine :

UNITCOMBAT_SUBMARINE_FULL.png

Last edited:
Some restrictions other than tech (that matters in VP):
  • MountedOnly = 1 - only IsMounted = 1 units can pick this promotion
  • MinimumRangeRequired != 0 - need at least this attack range to pick this promotion
  • InterceptChanceChange != 0, NumInterceptionChange != 0 or InterceptionCombatModifier != 0 - need AirInterceptRange > 0 and being on the right domain (= not embarked or being a ship that's in a canal/city) to pick this promotion
    • Fun fact, a ship in a canal/city cannot intercept
    • Can't pick intercept chance promotions if the resultant intercept chance is > 100 either (not possible in VP)
  • AirSweepCombatModifier != 0 - need to be able to air sweep (have an AirSweepCapable = 1 promotion) to pick this promotion

Some restrictions other than tech (that matters in VP):
  • MountedOnly = 1 - only IsMounted = 1 units can pick this promotion
  • MinimumRangeRequired != 0 - need at least this attack range to pick this promotion
  • InterceptChanceChange != 0, NumInterceptionChange != 0 or InterceptionCombatModifier != 0 - need AirInterceptRange > 0 and being on the right domain (= not embarked or being a ship that's in a canal/city) to pick this promotion
    • Fun fact, a ship in a canal/city cannot intercept
    • Can't pick intercept chance promotions if the resultant intercept chance is > 100 either (not possible in VP)
  • AirSweepCombatModifier != 0 - need to be able to air sweep (have an AirSweepCapable = 1 promotion) to pick this promotion
Thanks, I've updated the posts to include this information. Let me know if there's anything else you can think of to make this complete/correct

Could these be added to civilopedia?
We could actually make a mini promotion tree in the civilopedia. Instead of showing all promotions, it can show where that promotion leads (only the next one, not need to show the rest of the tree to save space).
It just probably requires skilled manpower who understands how to adapt it from Promotion Tree to the pedia. UI stuff is rough to develop.

Or can we just have it back? I had never noticed problems with it. Maybe there are a few errors in the mod, but I wouldn't care if I could just use it again as it was. At my own risk, without complaining if something doesn't fit.
It's no small loss. Some people have a worse memory than others, and some people play much less often than others. We just need some support.
It's really very nice of L.Vern to at least provide us with the graphics, but compared to using Promotion Tree it's rather cumbersome and sometimes more difficult to read.

Why just dont release this thing as a modmod like it was in the past? Ppl who like load in the save ppl who don't like don't load.

Reactions: 4CV
Top Bottom