WARLORDS (& standard)- Out of Sync Errors in game on LAN PC vs MAC

Vespa Jester

Chieftain
Me and my partner recently bought Warlords for Civilization IV. We have had Civ4 for over 15 months now.

I have a PC (Acer, over 2Ghz, 512MB RAM, Geforce 6600 Go nVidia graphics card, all drivers fully upgraded), my partner has a MacBook (very new, no idea of the specs, but both our machines can play Civilization IV on full graphics etc, full speed, its all great.)

We have been playing through a direct connection via a high speed Ethernet cable.

Now here is the deal, we had been experiencing Out of Sync errors in the later part of the game, whilst playing Civilization IV (standard no mods, no expansions), they just randomly appeared, this happend with or without barbarians, with various settings, and players and maps etc, no commonality to speak of. This was not such a problem as by the modern age we were mostly bored with it and had acquired vast empires, which would have taken too long a time to bring down, so we just quit and started new games.

However it would please me greatly to know what on earth the problem with the out of sync errors is. They appear out of nowhere, we are both affected (regardless of which of us started the game), it doesn't matter who quits and restarts etc etc etc, the game is pointless from that point forth.

We bought Warlords two days ago. We've updated etc, now we have attempted to play games against each other, we have tried LAN and IP Direct connections, by our direct ethernet link (as before with civ4 vanilla). It does not let us get past around the year 2052 BC on marathon. Basically any game on marathon early on gets the OOS errors pretty much right away. We have not yet tried Epic or Standard, nor have we tried it without Barbarians. But we should not have too. We have bought the games, we have checked all the specs and have met all requirements and surpassed them. We have even bought extras (like ethernet cables) in order to play their game. I should be able to play what size map I like, with what players I like and how many I like, with what settings I like. I don't mean to sound arrogant or unpleasant it just frustrates us both.

Now we have done nothing out of the ordinary, we have patched correctly too. There is no help from the makers, no support online, no official mention or support for this cause or a solution. The game becomes unplayable and this is not right. I have tried some obscure fixes (clearing the cache etc) and nothing has had success. Whats more, not many people seem to be experiencing this (or they have not mentioned it), they only talk about mods, or Beyond the Sword.

If anyone could please help me this would be greatly appreciated. I am very computer literate and so can handle detailed fixes etc. I just want a response to get results, not running around in circles - I don't mind "I have this too" posts, since it drags attention, but please don't flood this thread with them. REAL help would be really greatly welcomed. I just want this sorted out!! So I can play as I wish to play!

Thankyou in advance!

which patches are you using? Also please open the civilizationIV.ini files (in the respective users\<name>\My Games\ directories) for both Vanilla and Warlords on both computers and change everything that has log in its name to 1 (the entries near the bottom of the file). also set hydepythonexceptions to 0 in that same file. IF the oos error occurs again post the content of users\<name>\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\logs or users\<name>\My Games\Warlords - depending on which you played here (preferably as a zip file).
Now to prevent oos from happening it might be a good idea to delete the content of users\<name>\Application Data\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\cache and users\<name>\Application Data\My Games\Warlords\cache.

And:

:):):)Welcome to CFC:):):)

For Civ4, i'm using the one prior to the 1.74 patch (the latest, i'm not sure exactly what it is.) My girlfriends Mac has the same update. I know the 1.74 mac patch has just come out to make it compatible with the PC, and we may do that soon. Only problem is i've left my installation disc at home, and if we both patch and it doesn't work, we can't roll back the patch (so i've heard) so there is no point updating that yet, i think.

For Warlords, I have the 2.08 (PC) patch, and she has the Rev A (Mac) patch. Apparently, Rev B and C cause problems, so we've not put those on. There is apparently no patch for the mac yet to make it compatible with the 2.13 PC patch, (which i've obviously not put on yet).

I will switch all the logs on and post back after we've played another game. It is very frustrating to test solutions as you must play whole new games! Obviously i'll do it! But it is still frustrating, I could be waiting an hour or two to see it appear, and every turn you think "damn is this about to break?". Anyway i'll have a go and post back, it's late here in England, so it may be tomorrow.

Also I have cleared out my caches in both Civ4 and Warlords, exactly as you described. It did nothing, BUT I have been testing this solution on a "load game" that I knew had an error coming up. Maybe I should test it on totally new games.

One more point, how do you clear the cache on a mac? Do you have any experience with that? I've done all the PC things, but we haven't touched her Mac yet. She's knew to it, and so isn't quite confident with it yet.

Anyway thankyou for your very speedy post back, and useful suggestions!
Glad to be here!

Oh one more thing, i'm far more concerned with Warlords, rather then Civ4 standard. But both would great (I imagine they have the same solution.)
Cheers.

Log Files:
I've had to attach two zips, since my Warlords log folder is 5mb, at maximum compression, only goes down to 314kb. Apparently the limit is 300kb, so i'm attaching the folder split in two parts.
I reloaded my save game I knew had an error coming up. I hope you can get something from these txt files, I couldn't see anything!
Cheers.

Attachments

• Logs.zip
    73.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Logs 2.zip
    241.2 KB · Views: 51
:hmm: the log does not give much information - the network log does not include any oos stuff - only that one of the players disconnects at the end of the log.
The only real error that is in there is that one of you computers runs out of virtual ram for the graphics card (I doubt that it is related to the oos stuff though).
I'll have to dig through the Civ4 Mac Forum here for the cache thing. I would actually recommend you to post your problem there as well, since I gather that there are more Civ4 Mac players with experience of playing with PC players there than in this Tech Support forum...

Top Bottom