Warmongering loop!

S.O.T MAHak

Warlord
While playing a deity game as Germany, I was at war with Portugal who had settled some annoying cities close to my capital(come on, annoying AI you got plenty of good spots 4x times closer to your capital), so I decided to punish him. We're in the renaissance, there is a bay separating MY LAND and Portugal's land. My military conquered Portugal's cities on my side and kicked his unit out in the water where his medium sized(deity standard) fleet ruled, as I got no navy we're playing on a oval map. So he's last coastal city got captured back and forth. I captured it in my turn and deserted it so as not to lose any unit when he would recapture it with his navy in his turn. This went on for several turns until it hit me, every time I conquered his lame city, I would incur a warmonger penalty, a MINOR one! Apparently it hit the other civs to as well, they all denounced me soon after and 3 of my neighbors formed a coalition and DoW'ed me. I had been on good terms with all but one, America whom the other civs hated anyway.

So my point is that warmonger penalty for capturing a specific city should only be applied one time during a war.

Why not just sell the city right away after you capture it to a 3rd party? After many back and forth capturing the city is at 1 pop and useless anyway.

Hhhmm your right or I could had burned it, since it was a 1 pop city the second time I captured it. Guess I wanted it to be a death trap for his navy and it ended up been a reputation death trap for me :eek:

Does the warmonger penalty, for conquering cities, count if you get a city in a peace agreement?

Does the warmonger penalty, for conquering cities, count if you get a city in a peace agreement?

It doesn't. It would have been preferable diplomatically to try to end the war before taking it (or when you had maybe 2 cities left to take, if you really hammered Portugal hard, but I don't know if the AI is as amenable to such deals on Deity as it is on Emperor) the first time and ask for it (or even the two last cities he had on your landmass) in the peace treaty. Razing it after capture carried a penalty, but I think it was still a lesser one than stacking minor penalties by capturing it a few times.

Top Bottom