What are some of your "civ rituals"?

I do, uhh, play drunk civ a lot... not very well...

When I was heavy into playing this game, my ritual was to crank up the music, drink some beers, and play Civ6 after getting home from work on my Friday. I usually leave in game music on, but not on my Fridays. Friday was beer, metal (actually sometimes the random mixer threw everything in), and civ6.

I've gotten a little bored of the game since then. I often only play after new content comes out. And plus my work schedule has been crazy the last few months as well.

When I was heavy into playing this game, my ritual was to crank up the music, drink some beers, and play Civ6 after getting home from work on my Friday. I usually leave in game music on, but not on my Fridays. Friday was beer, metal (actually sometimes the random mixer threw everything in), and civ6.

I've gotten a little bored of the game since then. I often only play after new content comes out. And plus my work schedule has been crazy the last few months as well.

Yeah, I think I talk about civ more here than I actually play it these days, although I still do usually have a game to throw up in the background when I watch a movie or something. I just don't play it for like 6 hours every day after work and then all weekend like I used to lol

For some reason this thread showed up in the "Similar threads" to a thread I was viewing, and it's a neat idea that I'm surprised didn't last more than 22 posts. Thus I'll :bump: it and see if it has a second life.

I also like to make cuisine that matches the civ I'm playing, either in Civ itself, or in other historical games. Recent entrants include a Polish stew when playing Poland in Civ VI, and a nice vegetarian channa masala when playing Gandhi in Civ III. I really ought to acquire some garum and go exploring Cyrenaica in search of silphium to better-prepare myself for my next game as Rome...

Other rituals? Does staying up until the sun rises playing just one more turn count?

I don't know if it's a "ritual" - but I absolutely do not play after 8 PM... Pulled too many all-nighters in the early 90s!

I have a habit of reading/narrating the leaders' unspoken dialogue to myself, a bit like I'm actually negotiating with them. Naturally, big timeline events are also a good chance to break out the ᴇᴘɪᴄ ɴᴀʀʀᴀᴛᴏʀ ᴠᴏɪᴄᴇ
Not food related, but a sort of ritual i like doing while playing civ is looking up how a civ's orthography works before/as I play as them, and when possible use dictionaries to name units in their native language. It ends up giving me a lot more content each time a new civ is added - best recent example was Vietnam. Also helps me remember IPA symbols, since it just feels wrong to me to have founded a city I can't pronounce, and the most reliable pronunciation guides I find for foreign languages usually use at least some IPA.

For two examples, I usually name my first name-able scout something like "The Mapmakers", and last time I played as the Mapuche, I spent a good few hours deliberating on how to translate that, referencing a dictionary, checking how other similar words are structured, etc. Eventually settled on calling the unit "Adentumapufe", which is at least supposed to mean "Those who make an image of the land". The other example is pretty similar - as Kongo, a Korean city named Gwangju (meaning something like "Light Province") flipped to me, and I renamed it "Mbanza Ntemo", which (hopefully) means "City [of] Light".
I did this (renaming cities to match the language) once while pursuing a Domination Victory as Rome because of how many modern cities (including those in America) have official or at least easily translatable Latin names. It was a real challenge when it came to the Cree cities, though, and I had to really dig deep into the internet to find the meanings of certain words/placenames in Cree to even get an idea of what to translate. I wish I could remember specific ones, but I know there was something like "place of rivers" for one of them. It was fun.

Sometimes I like to play as if I'm actually that Civ. For example as Norway I play as if I'm a viking and ignore things that are not for vikings. I pillage all the time, focus my military on naval units and go on coastal raids but for the most part ignore Great People and Art.

I don't know if this counts as a ritual, but I say a sarcastic "Thanks, Obama" if anything doesn't go my way in the game.

I try to research and get any religion at a reliable time but with research in mind.

I moved house and I've lost the melodic call of a particular bird at around 6am when I thought it was still only 2am.
Now I just hear the first planes take off.
I miss that little guy.

Looks at my above post, damn, I've been playing this game a long time. And I'm still playing it. When I get bored I take a break for a while, but sometimes I get back in the mood.

As I've gotten older, I've slowed down in some ways. No longer drinking the beers and cranking up the thrash metal. These days I like to start a game with a cup of green tea and my music of choice is stoner/psychedelic rock/doom metal these days (even though I don't smoke dope). I enjoy the more mellow sound, and I've really been enjoying gaming with this music on (I also enjoy BG3 with this music). While both of these games have fantastic soundtracks, I'm pretty burned out on both of them at this point.

Be sure to make tuh'u the next time you play as Babylon! :D I made it a little while ago--it's delicious. I also make a Persian okra stew called khoresht bamieh pretty frequently.
I didn't get the civ coordination right - I'm playing as the Ottomans - but I made this tonight, and it is indeed delicious! Makes me want to start a game as Babylon, build a pasture around some sheep, build a farm next door, and enjoy the leftovers tomorrow. Thanks for expanding my cooking horizons several thousand years farther back into history!

My other new Civ VI ritual is to always declare a surprise war on Cyrus when he is my neighbor. He tends not to be amused on the whole, but he does like me a bit more because of the surprise war (though also a lot less because he was the target of it). Kind of funny seeing that "+3, likes your surprise war" modifier on the opinion screen.

Top Bottom