[BNW] What causes this?

unfairlane

Warlord
Strange. Suddenly (to me) the game has changed the rules and I can not see what causes this. As it is now I am only able to place one military unit in each city, that close to ruins the city defence.

Made a backup of my xml, deleted and reloaded the game but it is still limited to one defending unit pr city. This kind of kills the game and I can`t see how to adjust this. Does anyone know how to get rid of this limitation?

- a defending unit limitation might not be too wrong, should be linked to the citys size

You are describing normal Civ V game rules. What changes to the game files did you make (or what mod were you using) that allowed multiple units in a city?

Oh I forgot to mention, global defines are modified, plot_unit_limit are set to 12. Been playing it like this for a long time, then suddenly..

Started a New game without mods and the problem is gone. Has to be from one of the later mods

Ok, so the "Super power crash of civilization"-mod causes the problem. why would anyone limit a citys defence to only one company, twelve men?
A total gamekiller. If citys defence should be limited it should be linked to the citys population, one military unit pr city-size

Obviously 1UPT was highly controversial. But you are complaining about a subset of that, just the city hex.

You characterize the usual game behavior, which is well balanced and works well enough for almost everyone for several years now, as a “total gamekiller”. Obviously, that is not true.

So how about trying to understand how it is that almost everyone enjoys the game well enough with just being able to garrison one unit inside the city?

About "trying to understand", that might be your approach to this game. Me I find this game to be so far from beeing any kind of realistic that it simply has to be modded to be playable. And one single unit or squad to defend a city makes the gameplot totally unappealing to me, but mybe childs can accept it

There is quite a lot of abstraction to the game. And it is a game after all. 1UPT makes no sense from a scale point of view. But it all works pretty well as a game.
Why would anyone limit a city’s defense to only one company, twelve men?
There have been some interesting threads trying to figure out exactly how many men are being represented. But a company would be more than twelve men.
…that it simply has to be modded to be playable.
Obviously, that is a minority opinion. It sounds to me that 1UPT is breaking your sense of immersion, which I can totally understand, since there are somethings that will happen in-game that really trigger me. If you think of each unit as essentially being a whole battalion, which is closer to what I think the developers were imagining, you might be able to make your peace with what the UI is presenting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom