What changes would you like to see in DuneWars Revival?

Hello.

Great mod. Underestimated.

I would like a more balanced mod.

Few factions are much stronger than others (Ix Confederation for exemple). Benedexerite sucks.
Spice industry is much better than Arakis Paradise, unless you have really ZERO chance on spice spawn.

With lots of practice, the balance problems are easy to see.

Hello.

Finally this is getting updated. Best civ mod and dune game ever. Seriously, it is a very well thought adaptation and full of nice details and mechanics to represent the feeling of each faction, and to make you actually play like they should. I have put, easily, some 500 hours in this mod over the years.

- Some kind of narrative mode, with assymetrical starts, that loosely follows the events of at least the first books. It always bothers me that in the game, we start in a completely unpopulated arrakis, like if we were colonising it, i feel that there should be cities and some harkonnen infrastructure there. Maybe there could be scenarios (or something more like starting configurations of the map), so that you could play it with a heavy-lore approach. Things don't have to go just like in the books, but they could surely start in a situation that is actually true to the lore. So, if harkonnen starts with some cities and infrastructure, since they were there before, atreides would start with some settlers and armies to represent that they are moving in, corrino would start inside harkonnen's territory with a few armies (some sardaukar but no settlers) and have to conquer something quickly to stay in the game, this kind of thing.

- Some wonders that we have to build in the cities could already be in the map by the start, and factions would have to race towards it, be it by diplomacy, culture, espionage or war. Things like tuek's sietch (if i remember correctly). In my games, i always feel inclined to race towards the center of the map (the pole), so that i can use the snow melting and water shipping buildings to grow the rest of the empire, it would be nice if there were other "objectives" like this, valuable empire changing features that you would have to compete to have in your side.

- Changing factions as scenario events: Imagine that we start as leto, for the atreides, get wiped by the harkonen-corrino plot, then the game asks us if we want to respawn as paul for the fremen. We then recapture our old capital and get the option to change to alia, or keep playing as fremen while alia spawns in that old capital as our vassal or ally. Also, since Alpha Centauri, i miss the option to freely change sides whenever i want (it is heaven for roleplayers)

Of course this would be hugely difficult to balance, but sincerely, who cares? it's much more important to feel "duneish" that to feel "balanced". Also on that: I respectfully disagree with the above friend's statement that bene gesseritt sucks and that the game "needs" balance. I have played bene gesseritt inumerous times, and i actually find them very good, better than atreides or harkonnen. The thing is, you have to make the others fight between themselves while staying neutral to everyone, something that is generally impossible to do in a 4x game. Bene gesseritt can consistently stay in peace during the whole game (something that i understand might not appeal to everyone, but it's what they do, they puppetmaster the powers while staying low profile). Prana bindu, inspiration, kwisatz haderach, truthsayers... very powerful and very unique features, excellent to play "tall" instead of "wide". I really don't know exactly why would they "suck". Just because they don't have some robots? :p

This mod is the reason i still have civ4 in my pc. Looking forward for your answers.

My wishes for DuneWars Revival.

To open up the diplomatics in the world editor. That is not possible in the moment.
To save a game of the mod and start it as a scenario. That is even not possible in the moment.

And a question.

How many single player games are made and how many multiplayer games. I think there will be thousands of single player games startet for 1 multiplayer. I don't think that's why you have to do everything the same way.

I think differences in civilizations are better than adapting everything for multiplayer.

Greetings John

We sure have some ambitious people in this thread!

The one change I'd make to DuneWars Revival is: I'd remove the sandstorms, or at least I would make them not destroy tile improvements, or at least I would make them not destroy improvements not on sand.

I mean, sure, they do feel Dune-y, and they fit a theme of being at the mercy of a very inhospitable planet, and they do kind of add a bit of depth to the worker game...

... but their main effect is that they make me feel like a janitor, not the leader of a faction looking to be in control of the Spice and therefore the Universe. Putting up the the dew collectors that had got blown over yet again was so annoying to me in my first game that it nearly turned me off the entire mod.

Last edited:
My 2 cents:
1. Faction balance. Not enough experience to say anything other than that
1.1. Harkonnens are not as strong as some other civs. I don't find Oppression useful at all, more so harmful. Maybe if they had a unique Water Cache improvement to enable faster pop growth and provide extra health. Palace slaves are fine but could be buffed further IMHO. Uniques come in play very late.
Edit: I was wrong... the Harkonnen are just fine.
1.2. Atreides should be able to build spies. Thufir Hawat was Head of assassins, and the House did a great deal of espionage in the first book on Arrakis.
1.3. Otherwise some factions are stronger than the others of course, but there are ways to play around their strengths and compensate. Also I agree with @defactoid on Bene Gesserit. They are incredibly strong. Don't buff them further :)
1.4. A way to extend the imperial mini-golden ages?
2. Sandworms and sandstorms. I agree with @Ari Rahikkala that the mini games of sandworms and sandstorms are too much. In the early game this is fine, so you can keep yourself busy. But then... Maybe make it so sandstorms and later sandworms stop entering borders after a certain tech era or with a certain building (mushtamal against sandstorms maybe?).
3. Worker automation. Is their a way to make it so there's a button to let a worker auto-build mirrors around a city, and another one to auto-build cottages? The button to build spice harvesters on auto is awesome.
4. Arrakis Spice is a lot stronger than the Paradise path (because of the turn advantage, commerce, and later research and espionage wonders). And especially because every AI goes for Arrakis Spice and you alienate everybody by going for terraforming. Then once you build the reservoirs you are a pariah forever.

P.S. I am doing a deity LP with Fremen on YouTube at the moment so there may be more input.

Last edited:
Following Vintage Strategist's LP, I am playing this great mod now. Below are some of my though.
1 Update the mod's BUG mod. It would make the UI more user friendly, for example, bigger advisor screen and customization of city screen.
2 Make the original UI an option. Although I understand the use of a theme UI, I prefer the original simple UI better. The original one is more clean. I think this should be easy to do. Just delete some background picture. I means just the picture background in some UI elements, such as picture background of the left bottom in which the model of units are showed. Also the background picture in city screen.
3 Promotion such as combat I and II should show only the highest one. It is a small QoL feature.
4 Religion should alter the appearance of improvement, such as farms and mines, on the map. This would make religions feel more impactful. It may requires some work. The idea comes from Fall From Heaven.

Last edited:
I found a small thing that may be intended but it can be abused to some extent: troops loaded in carryalls can exit by moving out of the carryall (righ-clicking vs the "unload" button). This way they spend only 1 movement point on flat terrain and can act/move/attack after that. It's fun to transport workers this way for faster land improvement and to launch quick offensives with troops, but maybe this is not intended.
P.S. Actually, when I think about it, it's a feature that only a human player knows how to use. If somebody wants an easier game, they can use it. Probably not worth spending time to change this behavior.

Last edited:
To open up the diplomatics in the world editor. That is not possible in the moment.
To save a game of the mod and start it as a scenario. That is even not possible in the moment.

Agreed, that would actually solve many things, and it would be awesome to play people's scenarios.

I think differences in civilizations are better than adapting everything for multiplayer.

Absolutely.

We sure have some ambitious people in this thread!

I guess that would be me? It's funny how hyped i was last time lol

troops loaded in carryalls can exit by moving out of the carryall (righ-clicking vs the "unload" button)

I love to do this, AI says it's bullfeathers. Hey, I'm starting your LP now :}

Agreed, that would actually solve many things, and it would be awesome to play people's scenarios.

I realise it's been a while coming but these things are now fixed in version 5 of the Villeneuve Inspired Patch for Dune Wars:Revival.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/reso...euve-inspired-patch.28465/update?update=30876

I would be very interested to hear any feedback on the World Builder and scenario making.

Is there any lore-friendly basis for Rockburner/atomics tech being used to make peaks buildable?

Is there any lore-friendly basis for Rockburner/atomics tech being used to make peaks buildable?

I assume this is inspired by Paul's use of atomics to breach part of the Shield Wall in the original book.

Top Bottom