What Civilizations Should Be In The Mod?

Blue Monkey

Archon Without Portfolio
Should we pick real world names like Lakota, Hun, Sami, Tuareg, etc. or something more generic like "The Horse Clans"?

Which of the civ traits are useful to a nomadic civ -which should not even be bothered with?

How should the culture groups be set up?

I prefer real-world names for civs. I think these civs are musts:

-Mongols
-Huns
-Scythia
-Kushans
-Magyars
-Tuareg
-Lakota
-Hun
-Polynesians
-Orang Laut (the Sea Gypsies)
-Wako (the Japanese pirates)
-Aborigines (the Australians)
-Sami
-Messegate (A Scythian tribe)
-Saka (A Scythian tribe, possibly another name for Scythians)
-Avar
-Uihgurs (SP?)
-Kara-Khitai
-Turks
-Seljuks
-Bantu

And that's 21 (mostly Eurasian-orientated) civs from me.

Culture groups wise, I think what you outlined in the main thread was good, apart from the last one (Chariot->Wagon->Air), because many of the Steppe cultures were both Horse-tamers and Chariot->Wagon peoples.

Great list! You pointed out some i hadn't heard of, like the Avars & Wako, and named some others I was aware of without knowing what to call them, like the Orang Laut.

Also worth considering:

Apachean people of the Southwest USA (Apache, Dineh, etc.)
San (Bushmen)
Mbuti (rainforest "pygmies")

The Avars were a Turkish tribe, and came just after the Huns into Europe. However, unlike the Huns, they were excellent at maintaining their state, and they were vastly important in European military, trading and waring with the Byzantines frequently.

"Wako" aren't exactly nomads, but are bands of pirates. "Wako" (also known as "Wokou" in Chinese and "Waegu" in Korean) is an umbrella term for the pirates that infested East Asian waters in pre-modern times. The name literally means "Japanese enemy"; the character "Wo" / "Wa" / "Wae" was a derrogatory term for Japanese people and "ko" / "kou" / "gu" means "enemy" or "brigand." Wako originally referred to the Japanese marauders that frequently assaulted coastal towns and shipping lanes all along the Korean and Chinese coast. They would set out from the coastal regions of southern Honshu and Kyushu islands and they used Tsushima island as a base to attack Jeju Island and the Korean peninsula. As East Asian trade expanded, the term "Wako" also came to include Chinese and Southeast Asian pirates.

Other possibilities for nomad civs could be the Cheyenne and the Bedouin.

Could we name the culture groups based on geography - Desert Dwellers, Plains Nomads, Forest Assarters, Seafarers, Tundra/Mountain Herders? Similar life styles would thus be clustered. For the forests I was thinking of the Mbuti. The Tupi and Guarani were also pointed out to me as possibilities.

Could we name the culture groups based on geography - Desert Dwellers, Plains Nomads, Forest Assarters, Seafarers, Tundra/Mountain Herders? Similar life styles would thus be clustered. For the forests I was thinking of the Mbuti. The Tupi and Guarani were also pointed out to me as possibilities.
This sounds good enough for me!

Should the Inuït be in?

Thanks for reminding me. I was thinking the Inuit could be in the same culture group with the Sami.

If you add the Inuit, then you need to add Whales to the coastal hexes, as they use the beluga, a shallow water species, the narwhal, a near shore species, the bowhead, and prior to its protection, the gray whale. All of this was done and is still being done from the shore using small boats. Along with this, you boost the food and shield value of the Whale to cover also the seals, or have a separate Seal resource. You might want to give the Inuit the curragh to start with, while the Polynesians should get a catamaran with a transport rating of 2, but maybe no combat power. War canoes would function as galleys.

For other Seafaring groups, you might want to consider the Aleuts in Alaska, and the Tlingit and Haida from the Pacific Northwest.

If you add the Inuit, then you need to add Whales to the coastal hexes, as they use the beluga, a shallow water species, the narwhal, a near shore species, the bowhead, and prior to its protection, the gray whale. All of this was done and is still being done from the shore using small boats. Along with this, you boost the food and shield value of the Whale to cover also the seals, or have a separate Seal resource. You might want to give the Inuit the curragh to start with, while the Polynesians should get a catamaran with a transport rating of 2, but maybe no combat power. War canoes would function as galleys.

For other Seafaring groups, you might want to consider the Aleuts in Alaska, and the Tlingit and Haida from the Pacific Northwest.

I'm working on an Alaska mod -- I should have some work posted within the next day or two -- so maybe we can collaborate. For northern seafaring peoples, really the Aleut need to be included since Aleut baidarkas could venture into deep ocean and cover long distances.

Definately need to include whales as a resource. Inuit peoples ought to have walrus as well; I'm including walrus in my own mod as a resource that gives both food and commerce (ivory).

I know a bit about Sami as well. The best reference source I've found is a book called "People of the Eight Seasons" -- it's out of print, but you might be able to order a copy through your local library's interlibrary loan service. Lots of great illustrations of clothing and Sami-made objects. A Sami mod might have some sort of archer UU or scout on skis -- maybe remove movement penalties for moving on tundra and forest. Make sure they get reindeer as a resource!

Top Bottom