What exactly are theming bonuses and how do they now affect France?

Thanks for your answers, guys!

That actually sounds really complicated, especially to a noob like me. It sounds like France is extremely situational. If you manage to fill those slots and get those world wonders, great. If not, you're kind of screwed. Also, those effects come in so late you're going to be missing an edge against other civs until later in the game. Is that right or do people disagree? I guess the chateaux give an early defensive bonus to stop you getting wiped out before you can dominate with culture.

I also didn't realise you could dig archaeological sites outside of your own territory. I have been playing this game so badly, haha.

To add to the convesation about Brazil, I agree I'm underwhelmed. Like France, they seem extremely situational. If you can get wonders like Chichen Itza and keep happiness high, then great. If not, you're probably going to lag a lot behind other nations.

I think Portugal is my new favourite. They're so good at producing money AND happiness. Venice is excellent at producing money, too, but I found playing with them so boring because with one city almost every turn is automated.

in fairness, my attempts with Brazil were probably not the best. but their unique tile upgrade i found was lame regardless. however, i probably underused the GMusicians (and you get a lot of GMusicians if your Golden Ages work out) to go "On Tour" in other civilization's lands. but i will say that the main reason i was reluctant to go On Tour with them was that IIRC you actually need to have Open Borders with the other civ. pretty freaking useless imo since it's not too often that i'll have Open Borders with a neighbor, and ESPECIALLY not after Archaeology.

Thanks for your answers, guys!

That actually sounds really complicated, especially to a noob like me. It sounds like France is extremely situational. If you manage to fill those slots and get those world wonders, great. If not, you're kind of screwed. Also, those effects come in so late you're going to be missing an edge against other civs until later in the game. Is that right or do people disagree? .

I think they are really only "situational" in that you need to be going for culture victory. In that situation, you're going to have wonders in your capital. If you can't build wonders in your capital, you probably want to choose another VC in the first place.

Tourism is all about the late game anyway, so don't worry about that.

Top Bottom