Whats the Difference?

jefmart1

Prince
Between this and the original game?

Better graphics and the Master Rancher as far as I can tell, oh, and its much harder to win, less fun to play, and way to short to build any real colonial empire.

What a waste of money!

Whats the Difference? Between this and the original game?

No Custom House. No Fountain of Youth.

But if I had it to do over again, I would still buy this updated version of Colonization.

And some tweaks in fighting (promotions and such), and elaborate FF system.

But I agree, if I had to pick one over the other, it's this one. With the mods, you can create a game that can get pretty close to the old system. Plus, if you think of it, taking this as a stand-alone game, it's not so bad. The big problems is that it's not quite as intricate (hmm, maybe not the right word, but it's not quite as something) as Col 1, and it's not as long or advanced as Civ 4. Unfortunately, those are the 2 games it compares to most. It's still a decent enough game in its own right.

Why not go play the old one for a while, you'll notice a lot more changes. Feels like trying to ride a bike uphill after driving a car.

Why not go play the old one for a while, you'll notice a lot more changes. Feels like trying to ride a bike uphill after driving a car.

I have gone back and played the old one, and except for the game being slow performance-wise by today's standards, and the occasional freeze, it is superior to the new version in almost all aspects except combat, which Colonization was never primarily about anyway.

It really is kind of pathetic when a 15 year old game has nicer looker colony and European screens than a "sequel" made in 2008.

Time and time again just harsh opinions on how Col2 stands up against Col1. Truely it is just your opinion so I can't say no your wrong, but there are a few things that make me scratch my head at what you said.

A nice looking colony, and Europe screen. I am going to assume you don't mean graphically (If ya did, I can only count the pixels in Col1 to show my point of why it is not)... I would agree the Europe screen does look a bit different, but it seems (to me at least) that they did that to add more functionality/clarity to the system. Sure now people don't "stand" on a dock waiting.. but the same thing is there just displayed in a smaller area so they can display more. I could go on, but the reasoning would be the same so I just mean that as one example.

The city screen is crispish (Better the Col1).. looks good, and is very functional. Not to mention the multi-button support for the Map/Production/Trade that gives you lots of information at a fingertip.

If you don't like the mechanics.. cool.. I get there are somethings wrong with the game I don't want to cover what has been covered over and over :)deadhorse:), but to say Col1 is...

it is superior to the new version in almost all aspects except combat

It really is kind of pathetic when a 15 year old game has nicer looker colony and European screens than a "sequel" made in 2008.

Wow.. I mean I have to not only strongly disagree, but it confuses me that someone would even truly believe this. But as I said earlier this is my own opinion..

I like the new Colonization better than the old one. Better graphics, crispier graphics, and the Civ IV engine, which i love (i'm biased, i love Civ IV). My biggest gripe was the turn-limit of 300 turns. It barely gave me time to SOMEWHAT develop my colonly, SOMEWHAT interact with the natives/other EU civvies, and SOMEWHAT arm myself to be able to SOMEHOW beat the dreadded ZOMGITSTHEREF!! at the end. Now i did an experiment: i changed the turnlimit from 300 (normal) to 500 (normal) and it seeem to work well (500 is actually way to much, but hey), since now i have enough time to even do some nice quabbles with the natives and other Europeans: erased the second biggest tribe on the continent along with their 'protectors' the French, who now have only one small settlement in all. It's now turn 200 (300 to go :lol:) and my little empire is doing fine, starting the preparations for further economical expansion and slowly starting to produce libery bells. I think the game has potential, just the whole balancing thing was a big messup. With one hefty mod/patch like the one some CivCol hardcore gamers already did, the game will finally start to shine from its own light :)

Top Bottom