Where and when to settle?

thefran

Chieftain
I'm consistently awful at picking good city spots and take way too much time to settle at the ones I pick.

Ok that's great I guess, can you give details on what you do?

I basically only settle on resource clusters.

I play 4 city tall; and try to found cities on the four best city sites I knew about at the time.

In my current game, that ended up being 3 sites with Salt; lots of sheep in two of them; one of them with horses on my starting landmass, and then later on the 4th and and last self founded city on a different landmass right next to the natural wonder that provides 10 gold plus a unique luxury; much later than the first 3 (right after I completed all early national wonders other than Heroic Epic)

I skipped the following sites the AI would have founded: A one tile island with unique luxury [but nothing else], a site with several bonus resources but neither luxuries nor strategic resource, a 2 Iron site near the north pole with nothing else.

Not sure if this question should be its own thread, but it seems relevant to the topic at hand: how useful are the advisor's indications for placing new cities? (that little yellow icon on tiles when the Settler is selected)

Not sure if this question should be its own thread, but it seems relevant to the topic at hand: how useful are the advisor's indications for placing new cities? (that little yellow icon on tiles when the Settler is selected)

Not really. Always try to settle on a hill or along a river. If you can manage to get both it is worth to move your settler around a bit.

In Vanilla CD release; pretty awful. Some of the sites it would list would be good, but it listed many inferior sites including those 1 and 2 tiles away in addition to the good spot.
I turned it off pretty quickly.

Chances are that the fall patch that increased minimum fertility requirement for the AI to consider a city spot has thinned down the list some as that is using the same code.

Somewhere, I have a (recent) screenshot with three advisor indications, none of which is the riverside hill tile next to a mountain giving access to exactly the same set of resources. You can't trust the advisors.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I'd like to ask, if nowhere but the capital has a good patch of river and no/very little food resource available in the luxes/strategic area inland, would you still try to expand or would you just sit it out and goes 2 cities supported by caravan or even occ?

I'd like to ask, if nowhere but the capital has a good patch of river and no/very little food resource available in the luxes/strategic area inland, would you still try to expand or would you just sit it out and goes 2 cities supported by caravan or even occ?

Personally, I'd restart. I don't have time to play games in which my starting condition would be as poor as you've described.

Top Bottom