Who doesn't hate late-game slowdown?

Cupric Leane

Chieftain
Nothing is more irritating than investing hours building up an empire on a huge map only to have the computer crash. After the nth iteration of this irritation, I finally realized that I can go into WB and remove a few units from several of the AI civs and the computer can magically handle things again! I don't have a problem doing this as long as I am not intentionally nerfing an enemy I am currently fighting at the moment. I also tend to delete the excess of bears that crop up so that more interesting barb attacks can happen. I can't be the only one who does this, can I?

I play on Standard/Large maps. My comp is fast enough, besides, I can always read a book in the interturn or something.

Yeah, on large maps my computer can keep up fine. It's only on huge that I run into problems.

I don't play Huge exactly because I don't want to deal with lag and crashes.

Lag is tolerable to me so long as the game doesn't crash. That's what makes this workaround so great to me. By taking away a few of the excess AI units (not many, just enough) it keeps the game playable and my enjoyment extended.

I can't be the only one who does this, can I?
Sure you can. Other people might choose to play on smaller maps when they realize that their system is crashing because it can't handle the size they are currently using - for example.

Yes, but for those who choose to play on huge maps because that is what THEY enjoy, because large expanses of unclaimed territory into the mid-game is fun, the problem with crash-from-too-many-units is just irritating. So removing a few units from a group you, the human, are not in conflict with is just a good way to extend gameplay. Some might consider that cheating, but personally Keelyn's opinion doesn't really matter to me. :D

Isn't there somethin' called CARS? some sorta mod that speeds up teh game? Tell me, you Amurite mages!

Its a nice way to play games while doing homework. But then the chatrooms/window mode combo comes into play....

Yes, I don't play on maps larger than standard because of this.

Large is the largest map I play on. It nicely fits all 19 civilizations on a Tectonics map. Huge is way too big for me, even if there was no lag. When I want a quicker game I go Standard/Small Pangea

Top Bottom