Why do "feminists" still mistreat women so much (and use racist slurs)? Episode 4: SPLC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhm... if i am made to speculate, i think their position is that he never was a "feminist" in the first place. Just a liar.

But hey, those two things are easy enough to confuse.

Also, i feel, we are left with the problem that... how shall i best put it?
It is possible that this Hannah Martin lady from Nova Scotia is a proud young Conservative.
But i feel inclined to hazard the guess:
She's probably, like, not.
I don't think she is. Apparently gone are the days with this event when Kim Campbell (the only female PM we've had so far) can make a positive speech and mention how significant her office stationery was, whether she wanted to use "le" or "la" for the French portion - and that she opted for "la" because she expected that some day there would be another female PM who could use it.

Trudeau has no respect for the people who go to his events only to turn their backs on him. He said in a town hall meeting that if people want his attention, they can look him in the face. To do otherwise is childish and disrespectful. He didn't stand for that as a school teacher and he doesn't like it now.

You should read all the ballyhoo over Trudeau supposedly betraying the indigenous people of Canada because of turfing Jody Wilson-Raybould. Apparently her immediate elevation to cabinet after the 2015 election was supposed to mean she would always be in cabinet in the position she was first given, and the PM is never, ever allowed to change his mind.

That's not how federal politics works. I'm tired of the indigenous bleating about this. Yes, I understand they're upset about pipelines, and that's reasonable. Yes, I get that they're upset about inadequate infrastructure (nonexistent in some reserves, but that begs the question of what are their chiefs doing with the money they're given) and inadequate access to health care.

But using the Daughters of the Vote event for some personal political agenda and not to actually learn about Parliament is dishonest.

As for Michelle Rempel (the one talking about bribery/prostitutes), she is one of the most foul-mouthed MPs ever, and some time back she went on a Twitter tirade against the Mayor of Calgary, calling him derogatory names, whining that he was condescending and didn't treat her like a lady (because he pointed out that since he was a municipal politician and she was federal, that he just might know more about property tax issues than she did).

Michelle Rempel and Candice Bergen are a tag-team in Parliament and I have zero respect for either of them. Rempel is like a foul-mouthed pit bull as far as her obsession with going after Trudeau is concerned. Trudeau has no claim to sainthood, but some of the accusations and over-the-top exaggerations these two come up with are beyond ludicrous sometimes.

The Reformacons are just using the JW-R and Jane Philpot firings to score political points about Trudeau and feminism/indigenous. If the cabinet ministers in question had been male and white, they wouldn't have said anything.

In my opinion, of course.

One thing I can at least say here that I can't on CBC.ca is about JW-R in her role as Minister of Justice. She allowed a wrongfully-convicted man to languish in prison instead of immediately dealing with his file. Funny how his file sat on her desk for months, and her successor took less than a week to expedite it. The thing I can't say on CBC.ca is this: If the wrongfully-convicted man had been indigenous, I think she would have dealt with it immediately. But he wasn't, so she didn't. It's a reasonable suspicion to have, since she's repeatedly been more about indigenous issues than others, and apparently her firing from cabinet has the indigenous population in high dudgeon because they think it was a deliberate slap at the indigenous rather than firing a disloyal, unethical cabinet minister.

Being a hypocrite doesn't make one wrong. We're all hypocrites. Pointing out hypocrisy is an exercise in making one feel better about oneself, and nothing more. It's a convenient duck from having to discuss anything substantive.
The convenient duck is actually the hypocrisy itself. And that comes with very concrete danger.
Countless times have hypocrites - white American liberals in particular - faced problems, not rarely tied to their own privilege, and rejected the blindingly obvious yet inconvenient correction only to embrace alternative "solutions" that don't just not help but cause substantial additional damage.

You know, instead of doing nothing (which a heartless cynic may be fine with) the hypocrit can't help themselve but make feces worse.

Trudeau has no respect for the people who go to his events only to turn their backs on him. He said in a town hall meeting that if people want his attention, they can look him in the face. To do otherwise is childish and disrespectful. He didn't stand for that as a school teacher and he doesn't like it now.
Trudeau might want to learn that he's not a teacher anymore. And he should get to that before the campaign or you'll be knee-deep in trouble.
You should read all the ballyhoo over Trudeau supposedly betraying the indigenous people of Canada because of turfing Jody Wilson-Raybould.
I agree with you on that.

The gender angle is more valid, though.
In order to have this gender-equal cabinet Trudeau appointed some women who would not have been chosen otherwise. As tokens. And over the course of the term there's a visible pattern of him treating them as such.
I agree on that with Senator Batters.
[...] for some personal political agenda and not to actually learn about Parliament is dishonest.
Call me a cynic but it may be argued that those are perfectly reconcileable or even the same thing.
Michelle Rempel and Candice Bergen are a tag-team in Parliament and I have zero respect for either of them.
Love them.
If this was sports we should buy them.
The Reformacons are just using the JW-R and Jane Philpot firings to score political points about Trudeau and feminism/indigenous. If the cabinet ministers in question had been male and white, they wouldn't have said anything.
Oh, come on. If both of them were white men Conservatives wouldn't have that particular angle but they'd be all over this just the same.
They want to roll blame uphill, they want to side with the former cabinet members, they want to exploit the scandal as much as possible.
The added gendered angle is of course very much of Trudeau's own making, which is why i quoted the Zauberlehrling in said post.

The convenient duck is actually the hypocrisy itself. And that comes with very concrete danger.
Countless times have hypocrites - white American liberals in particular - faced problems, not rarely tied to their own privilege, and rejected the blindingly obvious yet inconvenient correction only to embrace alternative "solutions" that don't just not help but cause substantial additional damage.

You mean conservatives who called themselves liberals out of ignorance or a desire to fit in. I don't consider anyone whose animating principle is protecting their own wealth and status to be "liberal."

Last edited:
You mean conservatives who called themselves liberals out of ignorance or a desire to fit in. I don't consider anyone whose animating principle is protecting their own wealth and status to be "liberal."
I don't. And you knew that.

But we got a nice definition out of this.
Which i will totally not remember and bring up at some later time...

Moderator Action: Thread closed for review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom