why does this mod delete custom assets or other mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thornburgh

Chieftain
The download page says: INSTALLATION: (Warning: This will remove any mods currently in place. It’s recommended to backup your old CustomAssets folder.)

Why would this be so? Can't you keep all your mods, but only run one at a time?

Does it delete Blue Marble?

It removes your CustomAssets folder when you run the setup file. If you download the zip and copy to Mods/BUG/ and rename CustomAssets as Assets, you can play it as a MOD, but have to start it up with each load, and can only play those games through the MOD, just like any other.

If you want to keep this as your CustomAssets folder, and your other MODs you'll have to do a bit of merging of files to make it work.

No it does not delete BlueMarble but it should be installed on top of BlueMarble to retain the ship scale, instead of installing BUG and then BlueMarble.

It removes your CustomAssets folder when you run the setup file. If you download the zip and copy to Mods/BUG/ and rename CustomAssets as Assets, you can play it as a MOD, but have to start it up with each load, and can only play those games through the MOD, just like any other.

If you want to keep this as your CustomAssets folder, and your other MODs you'll have to do a bit of merging of files to make it work.

No it does not delete BlueMarble but it should be installed on top of BlueMarble to retain the ship scale, instead of installing BUG and then BlueMarble.

Uhm... maybe it's better to put in the readme for the 1.00 release a more detailed version (like this one) of that warning, including also a note about the possibility to install the mod inside MODS folder. :crazyeye:

Also you can put in the ini file of your mods the option that they don't see custom assets.

That way you can have BUG in custom assets, and it will not clash with your mods.

Thanks Mice. You mind putting the string needed for this in the thread?

I dont know what a string is but ,

Beyond the Sword/Mods/Rise of Mankind(for example)/Configuration settings/

change; No Custom Assets = 0

to No Custom Assets = 1

Hope that's clear and correct.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm still a bit confused. If it removes my custom assets folder, how can it not remove Blue Marble, which is in that folder?

I think I will try the mod folder route.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm still a bit confused. If it removes my custom assets folder, how can it not remove Blue Marble, which is in that folder?

I think I will try the mod folder route.

But BUG doesn't remove the Custom Assets folder!
At least, I don't know about the exe version, but for sure the zip version doesn't. And I don't see why the exe should do it.

But, of course, if you have in your CA folder some files with the same name of the files used by BUG, they will be overwritten.

The current setup program actually just overwrites the files which are in the Archive. I still want to keep the message up though, so people will backup their directory.

Can you at least change it to "overwrites your CustomAssets" directory instead of "removes"? It's still just as clear that danger exists while being factually correct. Plus it just looks hokey that we nuke your CA folder, like we're mean or lame or something, when most people know we shouldn't need to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom