Why doesn't the map center around your Capital once the map is explored, and...

s0nny80y

Emperor
Why doesn't the map center around your Capital once the map is explored, and what does it mean to orient icon faces left versus right?

For instance, Battleship and Sub icons face left but the Destroyer icon looks to the right? I'm sure the designers have a subtle but symbolic meaning behind it and I'd like to understand why.

I don't think it does. Think spearmen, for example, which is perfectly centered. Facing one way or another probably doesn't mean anything.

Maps are usually fixed in RL too, why the need to center it on the cap?

I'd say BS and Destroyers face in different ways so you can tell them apart easier since icons are very similar.

I think the Amer. bald eagle on the US presidential seal clutches fig branches in it's left claw and arrows in it's right. The eagle head looks left (west?), perhaps favoring peace over war.

hmm

The minimap should be scrollable, so that you could orient your capital anywhere you like. And there should be greater color contrast between land and sea tiles. Maybe for Civ 6?

I think the Amer. bald eagle on the US presidential seal clutches fig branches in it's left claw and arrows in it's right. The eagle head looks left (west?), perhaps favoring peace over war.

hmm

A lot of people miss that the bald eagle is actually looking RIGHT. The right, even as in the right hand. Look from it`s point of view.

p.s. You`re right it does stand for peace and war and it faces peace.

It would be nice to reorient the map. Some times a continent gets cut off or I'm in a weird spot and I'd like to change where the center is.

Realistically it should center around whatever civilization discovered every civilization first, like how our world maps are centered on the UK.

Dude, as long as my city or unit is centered when I'm using it, that's my main care. If I want to center my capital or nation or someone else's nation, I'll just scroll on over to them. It works fine just the way it is. Although this post is entertaining in that it's a microcosm of sorts of the centuries-old argument of how Earth's maps should be represented. Anyway, back to my map in which I'm somehow at the center of all because I am the chosen one and I rule all that is golden...

Top Bottom