why won't civ ii advances come up for me to pick. Setting? a certain key?

Hello,

here's an answer ;) :

In the base game, the technologies are split into 3 groups, 0, 1, and 2 (tech.id %3 gives the group). Each tech you acquire increments the hidden group by 1, cycling between the 3 groups. However, the tech with the lowest id number is always available for research, even if it "should" be hidden. I'd guess that tribe.numTechs%3 == tech.id%3 determines the techs that are hidden, but the game might use some other count of the number of technologies.

Tech hiding is important in early game strategy for the base game, since Monarchy (or sometimes Republic) should be achieved as quickly as possible. The tech tree happens to be set up so that one "off path" tech must be researched on the way to each of these governments. Ideally, you get that tech from a hut, but then you may want to avoid exploring other huts (or getting techs from other tribes) until you have Monarchy, since a second off-path tech might hide the on-path technologies again. I forget the exact details. But this was also one of the reasons Great Library is held to be a wonder that can actually be harmful, since it can disrupt your planned technology path (not to mention, you have the increased costs of the worthless technologies).

Ok, but that doesn't answer (at least doesn't appear) to answer the problem. Before when I would start game, I make my settler unit a city. Start with militia or whatever. It pops up what do I want to research such as ceremonial Burial, horseback riding, etc. It isn't even popping up for me to do that, so unless I land on a hut, or take a city from an enemy, I can't get advances

Ha ! Sorry for not understanding.

Which version of civ2 (with which patches) are you using please ?

Have you checked about your tax rate (Shift+T) ?
It may be possible that a null (0) output in science is making the choice of a tech delayed ?

so checked tax rate. Was at 0%, but changed it, didn't do anything. Far as patches, don't know because my brother installed this. (I'm technology challenged). I feel like it's a setting or a key keeping it from coming up, but don't know, and makes the game hard to play

Welcome! :)

If it's a new game your starting city may not be making much or any trade.. and with no trade then there's nothing going into tax and science.. and if there's nothing going into science then you won't get asked to pick what you want to research. It's been a bunch of days now so hopefully you kept playing, built some roads around the city to generate trade, which then lead to some science beaker generation and it all started working.

Top Bottom