World Congress Delegates

blitzkrieg1980

Octobrist
I can't find a decent source on how the number of delegates for each civ are determined for the World Congress. On the Wikia entry, it gives a brief description about # of delegates by era (for example Renaissance era, each member only gets 1 delegate and the host gets 1 bonus delegate) and a little info about delegate-boosting wonders. But I just don't see that playing out in my games. I've seen the host have upwards of 5 delegates in the Renaissance and other members get anywhere from 1 to 4 of their own.

Here's a more specific example:

I'm watching Berg787's most recent deity playthrough (on YouTube) as Arabia and in 840AD, the host has 13 delegates (!!), Berg787 has 5 delegates, the Byzantines have 5 delegates, Russia has 3 and everyone else has 2. Considering Berg is pretty far behind in tech and has not reached industrial era (IE he's not getting those delegates from being in a more advanced era nor from city state allies) and he hasn't built any of the delegate-boosting wonders nor has a world religion been chosen... I just don't get it.

So can someone please explain, fully and completely, how the # of delegates for each civ are determined for the World Congress?

Ok. To start with, everyone gets one delegate in the renn era when it's founded. The founder (host) gets two delegates. Whoever builds the forbidden palace gets another two delegates. If a world religion is picked, everyone who has that religion as a majority gets another delegate.

Then the modern era hits. Now, everyone gets two delegates, plus one extra delegate for each city state ally. The host still gets extra delegates. If a world ideology is passed, everyone from that ideology gets an extra two delegates.

Then the info era hits. Now everyone has four delegates (iirc). Allied CS now give two delegates per ally instead of one.

(Sorry if there's inaccuracies, but this is off the top of my head.)

Ok. To start with, everyone gets one delegate in the renn era when it's founded. The founder (host) gets two delegates. Whoever builds the forbidden palace gets another two delegates. If a world religion is picked, everyone who has that religion as a majority gets another delegate.

Then the modern era hits. Now, everyone gets two delegates, plus one extra delegate for each city state ally. The host still gets extra delegates. If a world ideology is passed, everyone from that ideology gets an extra two delegates.

Then the info era hits. Now everyone has four delegates (iirc). Allied CS now give two delegates per ally instead of one.

(Sorry if there's inaccuracies, but this is off the top of my head.)

Thanks for responding. Yeah, that's what the Wikia article stated, too. But it just doesn't jive with what I've seen in my games as well as what I've seen in the "Let's Play" games I watch on YouTube. For example, I am in the Renaissance Era, am not the host, have not built the Forbidden Palace, no World Religion has been chosen, and yet I have 5 delegates... why? How? It just doesn't make any sense from the available info.

The fact that you are still in the Renaissance is irrelevant. What matters is the latest era reached by any major civ. If any civ is in the Industrial Era, every civ (not just those who are also in the Industrial Era) gets 2 votes plus 1 vote for each CS ally. So, if another player is in the Industrial Era, and you are not the host and don't have any of the magic wonders or passed resolutions, your 5 votes must consist of 2 (for yourself) + 3 (from CS allies). Do you have 3 CS allies?

Also, if any civ is in the Modern Era, each member gets 3 votes plus 1 for each CS ally.

If you are not sure whether any civ (or which civ) is in the Industrial or Modern Era, you can check the Global Politics tab.

The fact that you are still in the Renaissance is irrelevant. What matters is the latest era reached by any major civ. If any civ is in the Industrial Era, every civ (not just those who are also in the Industrial Era) gets 2 votes plus 1 vote for each CS ally. So, if another player is in the Industrial Era, and you are not the host and don't have any of the magic wonders or passed resolutions, your 5 votes must consist of 2 (for yourself) + 3 (from CS allies). Do you have 3 CS allies?

Also, if any civ is in the Modern Era, each member gets 3 votes plus 1 for each CS ally.

If you are not sure whether any civ (or which civ) is in the Industrial or Modern Era, you can check the Global Politics tab.

Perfect! That's exactly what I was missing from this whole equation. You hit the nail on the head. The lead civ is in the industrial era and I had 3 city state allies. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

7 ways to get delegates
1. Be a civ (1-4 based on era*)
2. Be the host (1-2 based on era*)
3. Control the Forbidden Palce (2)
4. Have CS allies (0-2 per ally based on era*)
5. Have >50% of your cities following the World Religion (2)
6. Be following the World Ideology (2)
7. Get the most or second most votes for world Leader, where noone reaches the level (2 for each time)

*era means the era of the Congress, not your era...which is NOT highest era reached by anyone
Congress era rules are
Once 50% or more of civs are in X era, the Congress is in X era
OR
Once any civ reaches X+1 era, the Congress is in X era

5-7 depend on the results of world congress votes.

7 ways to get delegates
7. Get the most or second most votes for world Leader, where noone reaches the level (2 for each time)

*era means the era of the Congress, not your era...which is NOT highest era reached by anyone
Congress era rules are
OR

Thanks, Krikkit. This is how the entry in the Wikia should read. It explains how the World Congress actually determines what era it is in (which is of prime importance to understanding delegate counts). Thanks again.

Congress era rules are
OR

Well, for most games, 2nd condition usually holds near the end of game where the player will have to tech hard to information era to win diplo (pushes congress into atomic) Only exception is if the player manages to eliminate enough civs so that 1st condition holds, but usually difficult to do on high enough difficulty.

Well, for most games, 2nd condition usually holds near the end of game where the player will have to tech hard to information era to win diplo (pushes congress into atomic) Only exception is if the player manages to eliminate enough civs so that 1st condition holds, but usually difficult to do on high enough difficulty.

Well that depends, if player is the tech leader, they need to reach information era.
If player is behind, they just need to focus on getting those CS/liberated civs, sources of votes to try and get it on the first or second vote.

7 ways to get delegates

Congress era rules are
OR

What about spies being diplomats?
What era is that where you get the extra delegates?
Also, what era do CS delegates begin?

I cannot answer the specific questions you ask, but I am not sure you are asking the right questions!

After you research Globalization, each diplomat is an extra vote, and not just for World Leader. Also, as compared to spies, diplomats let you negotiate for the AI vote and they generate tourism pressure.

In most situations, in order to win the World Leader vote you need all the CS votes plus two. How many delegates each civ gets is almost always irrelevant because: (1) each civ gets the same base number of votes, and (2) the count needed to win keeps increasing proportionate to that base number.

With Globalization plus several diplomats, you no longer need every CS allied. Each civ you recall to life is worth two CS allies.

Globalization tech as answered above (I guess there are 8 ways to get delegates)

Era:Votes for being a civ, votes for CS ally, bonus votes for leader
Renaissance (founded by Printing Press+knowing everyone): 1, 0, 1
Industrial: 2, 1, 1
Modern: 3, 1, 2
Atomic (UN): 4, 2, 2

(no change to UN when 1/2 of people reach Info era, instead the first person to reach Info will make the Congress Atomic/UN if it wasn't already)

Top Bottom