XP or Vista

Hived

Chieftain
I have a licence of Win XP-Professional and one of Vista Home Premium (sadly not 7).
At the moment I run Ubuntu, but consider to setup a "new" Windows-partition just for CiV. As my hardware isn't that fast, I guess it'll be XP:

CPU: 2x 1,6GHz
Graphics: Nvidia 8600 256MB
3 GB RAM (667MHz)

But I am not sure concerning the RAM, what would work better: XP or Vista... some even say, CiV works on Ubuntu (some screenshots even proof this), but I am not that Linux-Crack to find out how... (especially not with my hardware ;)).

Would be nice to get some feedback... maybe some others are interested too :rolleyes:

Greetz, Hived!

XP over Vista in general, but particularly with that setup and the desired application.

Running Vista and CiV with 3GB of RAM would be brave bordering on the heroic, and not in a good way.

XP over Vista in general, but particularly with that setup and the desired application.

Running Vista and CiV with 3GB of RAM would be brave bordering on the heroic, and not in a good way.

You should use WinXP ;)

And even then you will probably have to stick to low settings and small maps.

So many thanks for your tipps... then it will be "good ole" XP :mischief:
Also thanks for the hint with "low settings and small maps"... I already supposed this... Hopefully, I will have a newer computer soon... but for now, there's no money :-/

Greetz 'n' Thanks Hived

I have one computer running Vista 32 and one runing Vista 64, and both handle the game just fine. I would use XP though since your CPU is only 1.6 GHz.

Anything under 2.0 is going to run this game laggy, no matter what settings you use or even the map size. The game becomes laggy due to the amount of cities and units, not graphics. The graphics issue is in not flushing the memory correctly; not the speed of rendering. Of course if one plays on a huge map, it goes without saying that there will be more cities and units than on a smaller map.

The game does render turns slightly faster if the interface is not focused on the current graphics being rendered, ie the AI is duking it out, somewhere off-screen.

Top Bottom