Xtended 5.0 Quick Guide

I concure on winter court...
and is there (as it ws before) a needed cumulative use for winter and summer before being able to switch to eternal court ?

I believe the Epic Destiny quest requires 150 turns in summer, winter, and eternal.

1. The winter court seems all-out terrible. Is there some trick to it that I haven't noticed or is it really that bad?

It's very good for waging wars. +Production, +Cold damage instead of ubiquitously resisted Fire. And it's cool seeing the land transformed into ice/snow :).

Is Winter Court "freezing" population of the cities or merely preventing them from growing? If the former, it might be the best in fending off -health from plagues.

It's very good for waging wars. +Production, +Cold damage instead of ubiquitously resisted Fire. And it's cool seeing the land transformed into ice/snow :).

Is Winter Court "freezing" population of the cities or merely preventing them from growing? If the former, it might be the best in fending off -health from plagues.
Winter Court gives Fallow trait to player, making the cities can not grow from food.

War bears with stacked nature mana are much better than anything else anyway, so Moon Faerie vs Sun Faerie doesn't matter much imo. The production bonus is way too small to make up the money loss due to the way both mechanics work : 15% more production will mean 15% faster building, maybe a bit more or less depending on your civs and other buildings. And due to the rather low max unit limit + the big strength difference between experienced and unexperienced units, extra production never really helped me in war. +20% Maintenance on the other hand can easily half the money you're getting per turn or even put you into the negative.

But what is truly worst is the freezing itself; In civ, playing well usually means expanding, but new cities are absolutely useless if they stay at size 1. Similarly, you generally want the other cities to be able to grow, too. Other fallow civs have some other way to grow, as of my knowledge as the Aos Si, you don't.

Of course, it might be useful in fringe cases (like temporary health problems, but these shouldn't be too frequent if you play well), but isn't it too bad that something that is supposed to be a major mechanic is delegated to a gimmick that you use maybe once per game but generally you want to change back as soon as possible? In my game now, the only reason to use it was to build winter restoration for the eternal court.

that's my memory of playing Aos SI too.
maybe Winter court could get a further bonus / incentive ?
(+spell research ? +faith ? increased culture ? can summon frostling/ice-golems/yetis/cyclopes ? / access to GE "freezing" ? / all units have a "frost aura" : give to ennemies sensitive to ice damage + chance of slow to the stake + chance of "frostbite": -10health/turn) ...Etc :
something to compensate :
-the fact that you don't get any growth at all for none of your cities (even Illians, the civ of immobilism grows better than winter court !).

that's my memory of playing Aos SI too.
maybe Winter court could get a further bonus / incentive ?
(+spell research ? +faith ? increased culture ? can summon frostling/ice-golems/yetis/cyclopes ? / access to GE "freezing" ? / all units have a "frost aura" : give to ennemies sensitive to ice damage + chance of slow to the stake + chance of "frostbite": -10health/turn) ...Etc :
something to compensate :
-the fact that you don't get any growth at all for none of your cities (even Illians, the civ of immobilism grows better than winter court !).

I wrote a big post into the new civs thread, let's continue the discussion there: http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/xtended-new-civs-re-design.599256/

Though I really like the frost aura idea!

Top Bottom