[Xtended] Mapscripts discussion

Vital Brasil

Chieftain
So, i am opening this thread because i think this topic really needs more attention, since most of mapscripts (if not all of them) seems to be broken in some way or another, and this subject had always been overlooked in all the threads someone brought it up.

Also, i think this is essential for an immersive and balanced gameplay. No one likes seeing a desert covered with lush forests or realizing your rivals are weak because the lanun started far from a ocean/lake and the calabim started in a frozen wasteland.

Not all the gamescripts have the same problems, like, for example, if you choose any "climate" mapscript the starting position of the civilizations will be pretty accurate. But, on the other hand, you still won't be able to found cities in tiles that do not produce at least 1 food.

Personally, i like to play on MoM_Erebus_and on MoM_Lakes(all the others are either a complete mess or just don't look good imo). The MoM_Planes mapscript is one with great potential, but it just look unfinished. So, ill begin focusing on these mapscripts i usually play.

MoM_Erebus and MoM_Erebus_Climate

I just love those mapscripts because the way the mountain ranges are placed, dividing different regions and giving opportunity for really strategic placed forts and cities. In those maps you won't really see a desert bordering a tundra, there will be a mountain range placed between them and defending from barbarians is more strategic and less annoying after you manage to set up your defensive positions. These maps make the fort improvement useful, because you will want to defend the few regions between the mountains that allow the invasion of your enemies.

But, unfortunately, they have a few problems:

- You can have deserts covered with jungles and forests (Image 1);
- Hell terrains are not covered with those hellish features (like flames, mushrooms and thorns of anguish), they are covered by forests instead (image 2);
- Jungles can thrive on tundras (image 3);
- If you play on "climate" version to have better starting positions, you won't be able to found cities on tiles that don't produce food (image 4);
- You won't find sandstorms on deserts, like happens on some other MoM mapscripts (image 5 - from MoM_lakes mapscript).

MoM_Lakes and MoM_Lakes_Climate

They are not as great as the previous ones, but i like those mapscripts because they really have MoM features on the terrains, like sandstorms in deserts (image 5 again) and hell terrains really look like hell, as can be seen on images 6 and 7. Also the regions are well placed, so your map will not look like a chess table.

On the other hand, the MoM_Lakes has a really bad starting settler positioning and the MoM_Lakes_Climate (which has a really good starting settler positioning) has the no city fouding on tiles with no food bug/feature (??). Also i noticed that on this last mapscript some mountains get "flattened" and become hill/peak terrains (image 8).

So, those are the things i think it it would be great to have fixed in the next versions. Since i don't play much the other mapscripts i can't really say much about them, but i would like to see some discussions about this subject here :D:D:D.

Attachments

• Erebus_Climate_Lush_Desert.png
    Erebus_Climate_Lush_Desert.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 273
  • Erebus_Climate_Paradise_Hell.png
    Erebus_Climate_Paradise_Hell.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 266
  • Erebus_Climate_Tundra_Jungle.png
    Erebus_Climate_Tundra_Jungle.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 218
  • Erebus_Climate_No_City_Founding.png
    Erebus_Climate_No_City_Founding.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 252
  • Lakes_Climate_Sandstorms.png
    Lakes_Climate_Sandstorms.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 236
  • Lakes_Climate_True_Hell1.png
    Lakes_Climate_True_Hell1.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 256
  • Lakes_Climate_True_Hell2.png
    Lakes_Climate_True_Hell2.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 268
  • Lakes_Climate_Mountain_peak.png
    Lakes_Climate_Mountain_peak.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 271
Last edited:
My greatest question is: how do modders mod mapscripts?

My second greatest question: anyone can and is willing to mod the mapscripts?

:D

Ohh,well, i hope someone who can mod mapscripts and play MoM Extended see this on day...lol

Until then, i am stuck with opening the world builder every time a start a new game :(

Top Bottom