You have 4 deer in your capital. Do you take fertility rites or goddess of the hunt?

Artifex1

Warlord
Everywhere I see ratings it is fertility rites 5 stars and goddess of hunt 2 or 3 stars..a big meh.

What of you had 4 deer?

Where did you see a 5 star Fertility Rites? AFAIK, Fertility Rites is +10% to growth ie. excess food, not +10% to base food. If you're producing 20 food in an 8 population city, Fertility Rites gives you +0.2 food (10% of the 2 excess food), not +2 food.
As a result, Goddess of Hunt and Sun God are almost always better for growth than Fertility Rites.

Fertility Rites is basically awful. Direct food bonuses are 1.) faster-acting and 2.) more valuable. If it were a food bonus, then it would be like building ToA in every city, minus the production increase. Sadly, it isn't even half that good.

Well, it`s a no brainer. Goddess of the hunt is much better. But I personally always go for that extra faith from terrain or resources if possible. Can`t compare with food, science, culture or anything else.

If you really need food, there is always a way to send caravans to your captiol or any city of your choice.

IMO if you have that many deer, Goddess of the hunt is what you should choose. If you have many of the same resource which you generally do, that's a go-to choice. Unless you don't and you are Spain...

Where did you see a 5 star Fertility Rites? AFAIK, Fertility Rites is +10% to growth ie. excess food, not +10% to base food. If you're producing 20 food in an 8 population city, Fertility Rites gives you +0.2 food (10% of the 2 excess food), not +2 food.
As a result, Goddess of Hunt and Sun God are almost always better for growth than Fertility Rites.

After few years of playing G&K and BNW, I just know that. How much have I missed...

SolutionFinder, I know you are just here. But try to answer without insult, Thank you.

Goddess of hunt particularly if you have a lot of workers. If there's a limited amount of workers then I would get fertility rites.

After few years of playing G&K and BNW, I just know that. How much have I missed...

The only % food boosts that apply to base food, not excess food, are Temple of Artemis and Aztec's UB. All other policies, beliefs, buildings, and wonders that mention +% growth (eg. Landed Elite, Swords to Plowshares) apply to excess food only. In fact, the +% food boost from Floating Gardens is the main reason people like playing as Aztecs in multiplayer; their UU and UA are nice, but pale in comparison to the immense growth boost Floating Gardens give.

Definitely goddess of the hunt on this one. That is almost a free hospital at the start of a game.

You are missing out on faith based pantheon but you can build the Stonehenge (providing your difficulty is immortal or lower) or beeline to Theology and build Hagia Sophia.
If you don't get a religion you'll probably lose your pantheon at some point.

Goddess..its my favorite one to go to when I have a 6+ ivory resources in my area...but the sucky part of Goddess, is that if you don't get a religion, it will probably be wiped out by the missionary spamming that happens in the middle ages and early middle game

Goddess..its my favorite one to go to when I have a 6+ ivory resources in my area...but the sucky part of Goddess, is that if you don't get a religion, it will probably be wiped out by the missionary spamming that happens in the middle ages and early middle game

Somewhat annoying yes, however I found that when combined with the Tradition start and I planned for it, I greatly benefited from the food bonuses before they were taken away.

You can also engage in unit blocking to slow down AI missionary going to the city or two of yours that has the most of this type of resource. Combine with keeping the borders closed and he'll have to use Great Prophets just to survive long enough to spread it to your capital.

Fertility Rites is basically awful. Direct food bonuses are 1.) faster-acting and 2.) more valuable. If it were a food bonus, then it would be like building ToA in every city, minus the production increase. Sadly, it isn't even half that good.

Does Temple of Artemis work on base food rather than excess growth, unlike Fertility Rites?

Isn't that gonna happen regardless of which Pantheon you choose?

Isn't that gonna happen regardless of which Pantheon you choose?

In the event you don't found a religion, yes. But there are several faith based pantheons which when chosen in the right situation virtually assure you of founding a religion.

Or if there's some way you can make more faith, I'll go for that better such as taking stone circles with nearby stone or taking earth mother with nearby iron, etc.

Top Bottom