Your Favourite Map Type

Evie94

Warlord
for me its probably Fractal....purely because not knowing if the map is a Pangaea or a Continents or an Archipelago-like map makes the game that bit deeper for me.

How about you guys?

It makes the match feel like an alternate history of our planet, and when I conquer it, I feel satisfied.

continents usually, unless I'm planning on a conquest victory, in which case I'll go pangea just so I don't have to be assed with having to transport my entire army across the ocean.

if I'm planning on a defensive game, large islands or archipelago. that was my go-to for pre-BNW cultural victories... large island with 3-4 cities, build a large navy for defense, and ignore having to build any other land units or city defenses.

If I play as Sea Civ, usually go Small Continents or similar maps. if I play as Land Civ usually pick Pangea or similar maps.

Continents is boring because it becomes 1vs1 once you grab the first continent and the runaway grabs the second.
Small continents is too easy as nobody runs away so you severely out-tech the AI even on deity.
Pangea makes me yawn, that map just begs you to dominate the whole quickly and win.

I want medium continents :p Like, 5-7 continents so I can have 5-6 developed enemies/friends rather than one big enemy or many little preys.

Is there such a map?

Continents is boring because it becomes 1vs1 once you grab the first continent and the runaway grabs the second.
Small continents is too easy as nobody runs away so you severely out-tech the AI even on deity.
Pangea makes me yawn, that map just begs you to dominate the whole quickly and win.

I want medium continents :p Like, 5-7 continents so I can have 5-6 developed enemies/friends rather than one big enemy or many little preys.

Is there such a map?

large islands, maybe?

Is there such a map?

This. All of this.

I like Continents Plus because it generates some interesting terrain but is less chaotic than Fractal. I edit mine to allow city states on the main continents.

I've really started to like the Earth map. It's got those multiple continents that everyone likes (though Asia seems to dominate, usually), I get to "recreate" history, and, being familiar with the map, I know where to find new lands and suitable terrain.

Oh, and it's always fun trying to see how quickly you can determine where you are in the world.

I like archipelago and set the sea level to low, this gives me some large islands and many 1 or two city size islands.

I like Small Continents.

Sometimes I get a smaller continent and share it with one civ. Sometimes I get a larger one shared with 5 civs.

You gotta keep both your army and navy in check and I love that. Now if only the AI navy still wasn't a pushover...

Inland Sea. There are so many rivers. It's awesome. If you're planning on doing a speed run of a certain VC, take the Dutch on Inland Sea with a disabled Start Bias, because there are a LOT of FLood Plains in the desert.

Without mods, for me it's Small Continents; I don't know precisely why, I just like it.
With mods, TSL Huge Earth with 22 Civs. Now THAT'S fun.

I adore playing on a huge PerfectWorld3 map - but tweaked so that ~60% of the map is land, with a MIN_CITY_RANGE of 5 instead of 3. At that land percentage, you still end-up getting a few large inland or polar oceans, but there's more room for 18 civs and 24 city-states to stretch-out a bit. Fun times, and well worth the wait between late-game turns. :D

Top Bottom