Finishing Games

Yeah, I'm thinking about opening a new thread for you guys to give us ideas about a makeover of lair results, after the 1.31 release. So you'd get 1.31 sooner (and we'd get feedback sooner as well).

I think this is an excellent idea! Give us 1.31, hopefully as a Yule present or sooner, and I will be happy to give you all the feedback on the lair results that you might desire.

Just like Morkonan, it has been months since I played RiFE (for the same reasons). I have just read this forum. I also have not even purchased Civ V (why get started on that when RiFE is coming any day, right?) or tried Orbis, Wildmana or any of the other modmods out there.

However, I have been have some fun killing zombies via FPS games and playing a few RTS games to pass the time waiting for RiFE 1.31.

C'mon Santa and send that new version down my chimney. OK?:D

That may be soon (as in, this month. Maybe. Possibly.)

I (and many others, I don't doubt) am going to very easily ignore the last two words in this quote. Official release date for 1.31! There is definitely and certainly never going to be any day that is not this month that 1.31 might not be delayed from being not released late! (I have no idea what I just said.)

There will be no official date. They're the easiest way to disappoint our players.

That may be soon (as in, this month. Maybe. Possibly.); I'm finishing up classes, and Opera is talking about finishing the lairs but leaving renovation of exploration results for a subsequent small patch.

That would be an awesome Christmas present! .. almost as good as when my divorce papers were signed... Almost. ;)

But, this is a hectic time of year, so if it has to wait until January, I'm fine with that. An unstressed developer is a happy developer. The problem is, nobody knows how to accomplish that..least of all a horde of rabid fans.

*Just a general observation:

I've noticed a pre-planned patch history. I think that's a good idea for content patches. But, will all patches be both bug fixes and content patches? Would it be more efficient to separate them out, or would that be problematic with the team's current workflow?

Ha not finishing a game just equates to an infantile attention span. "I'm going to win in 30 turns so I give up." hmm...might be whats keeping RiFE...unless they plan on releasing the patch in modules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger66
Ha not finishing a game just equates to an infantile attention span. "I'm going to win in 30 turns so I give up."

Please refrain from that type of posting within this forum. ;)

He expressed his opinion without using "bad words". I don't think that this should hurt you, Valk, although he is a bit harsh. Don't act Kim-Jong-Il-ish.

He expressed his opinion without using "bad words". I don't think that this should hurt you, Valk, although he is a bit harsh. Don't act Kim-Jong-Il-ish.

One can be insulting and abrasive without using "bad words."

The fact is that playing several hundred turns and then realizing that the final ending acts of a game will not be interesting to play out is an exhibition of informed foresight, not one of "infantile attention span".. whatever that means.

Methinks the choice of verbiage was more for its harsh effect and its subsequent use in flavoring spurious comparisons to perceived patch delays than desiring to express a truly cogent observation concerning the matter at hand.

I'd love for patches to flow like wine, but this is, after all, a completely "Free" mod and its developers do have real lives.. hidden somewhere between lines of lovingly crafted code. "Waiting" is a privilege left for us who do not possess the skill to code the mod for ourselves. Let's all try to do it with tact and be deserving of the gifts fashioned for us by others.

Cheetos? Beer? Cheetos AND Beer!!

Hey everyone! Valkrionn said that they're putting Cheetos and Beer into the next patch! HURRAY!

;)

Actually, no. It would be "ReligionInfoSoundtracks", coded by Snarko. Basically, soundtracks can now be added to the religions themselves, rather than needing to subvert the Era system to allow religious soundtracks. Religious music will always be played preferentially to Era (default) music. The capability was opened up with 3.19, but noone did anything about it at the time. :lol:

This means a few things...
  1. FAR easier to add music for religions.
  2. No religious eras = Far less bloat in several files. Notably, LeaderInfos.
  3. Eras may now be used for the AI again.

Now, why would I ruin the surprise? Simple. The surprise is an effect of this, it's not actually this addition. The average player won't see much of a difference, aside from possible AI benefits; The same music will play, after all. However, it lets us do OTHER things, unrelated to music, far easier. ;)

...Now, why would I ruin the surprise? Simple. The surprise is an effect of this, it's not actually this addition. The average player won't see much of a difference, aside from possible AI benefits; The same music will play, after all. However, it lets us do OTHER things, unrelated to music, far easier. ;)

Wait... Does that mean you're removing Cheetos and Beer in the upcoming patch?

Honestly, though.. You do have a Brewery in the game and you can trade Beer. Where's the Cheetos, man? Can't have Beer without Cheetos. It's... sacrilegeous.

Ahhhh, I see! With the new enhancement to capabilities for religious events, you can now add Cheetos! Excellent!

Cheetos are back in the game, everyone!

(It'll be interesting to see what you do with the new twist. Considering the suspense, it sounds like you'll be adding a new game mechanic or maybe a new event-based system? But, Cheetos are still in, right?)

Wait... Does that mean you're removing Cheetos and Beer in the upcoming patch?

Honestly, though.. You do have a Brewery in the game and you can trade Beer. Where's the Cheetos, man? Can't have Beer without Cheetos. It's... sacrilegeous.

Ahhhh, I see! With the new enhancement to capabilities for religious events, you can now add Cheetos! Excellent!

Cheetos are back in the game, everyone!

(It'll be interesting to see what you do with the new twist. Considering the suspense, it sounds like you'll be adding a new game mechanic or maybe a new event-based system? But, Cheetos are still in, right?)

Sorry, but Cheetos will have to wait until 1.4, when we're adding in a new spell, just for them.

Aha, I know what it's going to be, and, for once, I'm keeping my mouth shut :p

I tend to not finish games much, but when against the AI I only play Marathon. Otherwise it feels like I've just barely sat down and t3 units are in play.

I tend to not finish games because the endgame is really just a bunch of highest-industry-civ-eats-everyone-else thing. My favorite part of a Civ game is the beginning, with the exploration and the expansion, with wars being fought over legit things like land and resources rather than "Hmm, I have all these extra hammers..."

unfortunately i seem to keep getting caught in repeating unfixable ctd's near the end of the game, unrelated to MAF... hopefully goofy spawns fixed in the next patch. cant wait for it :goodjob: check in all the time... RIFE is so much better than civ5

Top Bottom