New DLC: Polynesia

I'm going to make some mods, can I charge you $5 each for them.

If you can make modded civs half as appealing, I'll consider it.;) I was skeptical at the $5 pricetag at first as well, but after seeing the amount of detail for the artwork (unique city art, unique emarkation art, the Moai's unique terrain improvement art, etc.) as well as the positive reports in this thread about how fun they are to play I decided to bite the bullet. I haven't been disappointed yet.:)

If you can make modded civs half as appealing, I'll consider it.;) I was skeptical at the $5 pricetag at first as well, but after seeing the amount of detail for the artwork (unique city art, unique emarkation art, the Moai's unique terrain improvement art, etc.) as well as the positive reports in this thread about how fun they are to play I decided to bite the bullet. I haven't been disappointed yet.:)

Well yea at least you recognize you're only paying for the art; everything else could be done by the modding community. The problem is that it feels like you're paying less when you pay in installments, and this is a hook for them. If there are 10 mods that will add up to $50, the same price of the original game. That would be the same value as a real add-on pack like BTS or Warlords. Now you could argue its fair since we get patches with new features for free. But so far the new features have just been to fix issues people had with the original game.

I don't know what type of considerations they're taking in when pricing the mods, it could be that their budgeting department decided they needed it to be at $5, but from a buyer's perspective, I think its not completely fair -- the DLCs for other games aside.

On my way home from work yesterday I stopped by Subway, as usual. My sandwich lasted about 30 minutes while reading a magazine.

Then I downloaded Polynesia for the exact same price, which has lasted ~12 hours so far and counting.

Games are super inexpensive! :crazyeye:

Well yea at least you recognize you're only paying for the art;

And the scenario, which is quite good.

everything else could be done by the modding community.
Not true. There are new xml fields created specifically for the Polynesians that were impossible beforehand: Coastal req for improvements, negative combat modifier for adjacent units and improvements gaining culture for similar improvements nearby. These would not exist if it weren't for the DLC.

The problem is that it feels like you're paying less when you pay in installments, and this is a hook for them. If there are 10 mods that will add up to $50, the same price of the original game. That would be the same value as a real add-on pack like BTS or Warlords. Now you could argue its fair since we get patches with new features for free. But so far the new features have just been to fix issues people had with the original game.
Well I got lucky in a way because I got the D2D preorder deal, so I haven't payed a cent for any of the prior DLC. But I could sympathize if I hadn't.

I don't know what type of considerations they're taking in when pricing the mods, it could be that their budgeting department decided they needed it to be at $5, but from a buyer's perspective, I think its not completely fair -- the DLCs for other games aside.
As noted, for other games such as Dragon Age you're really only getting an hour or two from each DLC; I got pretty disgusted with that pricing model before long. A civ you can play forever.:)

Oh great. It saves images in tga and has music in ogg. :rolleyes:

Are they trying to make the files unusable?
You should have a quick look in FPKs (multiple resources) with DragonUnpacker, RADTools' gr2 formats are a mess of complexity. DDS indexed, Biped animations are "somehow" compatible with free Blender.
I can't afford AutoDesk 3D studio max, so i use reasonable solutions.
Gimp & Inkscape & PSPro X3 are a must, to me.

Features on Nexus - promised, but not yet delivered.

WinAmp (and plenty more) plays any ogg files, IIRC.

Easily converted to mp3 or wav using Audacity. .ogg files sound better than .mp3s at the same bit rate. yay audiophiles! :)

I use AVS products, they haven't failed me in all the miscellaneous Video/Audio/Utilities they handle for a rational cost.
So does IrfanView, btw.

*Not spamming, okay!?! Moderators.

And the scenario, which is quite good.

Not true. There are new xml fields created specifically for the Polynesians that were impossible beforehand: Coastal req for improvements, negative combat modifier for adjacent units and improvements gaining culture for similar improvements nearby. These would not exist if it weren't for the DLC.

There's a problem with that in itself though. Modders have been waiting for more DLL info to get started on making their own civs.. it feels like they're holding off on it just so they can have a monopoly on it for a while and release special traits in DLCs.

People complaining about DLC's need to step back and take a deep breath.

$5 is like renting a movie or 1/2 the price of a movie ticket.

Last night I played it probably 2 hours and I plan to play it a lot more. Good value.

Plus it supports Civ and gives them money to fix... er... make a new Civilization some day.

DLC's are the way of the future and patch notes are pretty much free expansions.. We already got "engineering" for free in a patch and that could have been an expansion pack characteristic.

People complaining about DLC's need to step back and take a deep breath.

I'm just commenting, I'm not having a panic attack or something.

One movie = $10
Civilization + DLCs = $50 + $5 + $5 + $5 + 5 + ...

The Polynesia mod isn't going to make me play the game any more than I already am, its a cool add-on, nice art, nice music, but Civ has the same replay value as it always did.

If other people are willing to pay for all the DLCs then thats settles that, though. Something is worth the price people are willing to pay. I'm just giving the perspective of a someone who might not be willing to pay.

Wasn't there a free Atolls and some other map that was going to come along with the DLC? I thought we could DL them separately. So I could DL the maps and not buy the Civ.

On my way home from work yesterday I stopped by Subway, as usual. My sandwich lasted about 30 minutes while reading a magazine.

Then I downloaded Polynesia for the exact same price, which has lasted ~12 hours so far and counting.

Games are super inexpensive! :crazyeye:

You can get a pound of meat like for $2.50, a loaf of bread for $1.50, lettuce for $1.00, a couple of tomatoes, onions, etc, for $1.00, that adds up to $6.00 , and if you ate the same portions you eat at Subway, that would last you close to two weeks, so close to 40 cents for a sandwich a day. You don't even need to cook, since the meat is pre-cooked for you.

Subway is a ripoff. :)

I can even get the same sandwiches pre-prepared for me from my supermarket's deli counter, if I wanted, for less money than I'd buy it for at Subway but at better quality.

Someone in another thread suggested getting savings to buy the game by eating Ramen noodles. Does everyone on this forum eat out every day or something?

Moai are better than I initially gave them credit for in terms of reshaping how you play the game (my priority with new civs).

Basically, because of the adjacency thing, they're an improvement which can matter even when you're not working them. This creates a strong incentive to spam them along coasts and then work the best locations, and spend the rest of your citizens working water tiles. A Polynesian civ's priorities are quite different from normal as a result.

Actually, Deli meat is getting expensive these days. So are hoagie rolls (and they don't last very long). So, in that regard, Subway isn't quite as unreasonable as it would seem. But it's not something you want to buy every day, that's for sure (then again, I wouldn't want to buy a new Civ every day either).

I like the style of the polys, and in my opinion it make feel the game much deeper.Also the gamestyle looks good. And for the money 5 euro are 5 days to eat for a family in afrika, money is always subversiv.

Top Bottom