Do you honestly think there is going to be an expansion?

Do you honestly think there will be an expansion pack?

• Total voters

blac

Warlord
I'm waiting for them to announce an expansion before I go and buy any of the DLC in hopes it will be included. I think they will have to have one if they want to put any new features in the game like religion, or whatever. Do you honestly think they will make a genuine expansion for Civ V?

They are being incredibly quiet and secretive for the sole reason that they want people to continue buying the DLC for as long as possible. I doubt that they'll include DLC in an expansion pack.

I only played civ5 on the mac before going back to civ4, so I can't comment on the windows versions, but honestly, it was the worst game I've tried to play in probably 20 years. It was worse than Master of Orion 3. I hope they give up the ghost and just move to civ6.

I only played civ5 on the mac before going back to civ4, so I can't comment on the windows versions, but honestly, it was the worst game I've tried to play in probably 20 years. It was worse than Master of Orion 3. I hope they give up the ghost and just move to civ6.

I don't think you've played Rouge warrior.

I wanted to answer, "No, I dishonestly think there is going to be an expansion.", but that obvious option wasn't there.

Actually, I want a "Yes, but I have no idea about the content." option. Because that is my actual situation.

Are they though? How long after release were expansions announced for prior titles?

IIRC, Warlords came out just a few months after Civ4 vanilla? Also, with Civ4, they were more open about the fact that they were working on expansions because they weren't trying to milk the cash out of any DLCs.

IIRC, Warlords came out just a few months after Civ4 vanilla? Also, with Civ4, they were more open about the fact that they were working on expansions because they weren't trying to milk the cash out of any DLCs.

According to Wikipedia, Civ 4 was released on October 25, 2005. According to this, Warlords was announced March 16, 2006, almost 5 months later. Civ 5 has been out just over 3 months.

Sure they weren't trying to sell DLC with IV, but I don't think we have any evidence that they are being secretive about an expansion for V. I think it's simply too early. If an expansion had been announced already, I'd imagine there would be a lot of backlash of the "if the expansion is coming out so soon, this could have been included in vanilla" variety.

I'm pretty certain there will be at least one expansion. Apart from fan reacions on cfc, the game has done very well on most measures, so not releasing an expansion would be a big missed opportunity.

As for whether the expansion will include the DLC, my guess is no, but it's really hard to tell. As I understand it there were technical reasons for including the warlords civs in BtS, but those same conditions are not there for civ5. Let there be no doubt however that if an expansion is released for civ5 the marketing push will include some discounts on the base game and the DLC.

I expect that if there is an expansion or two, then eventually (maybe a year after the last expansion) there will be a complete edition with all content included.

EDIT...
According to Wikipedia, Civ 4 was released on October 25, 2005. According to this, Warlords was announced March 16, 2006, almost 5 months later. Civ 5 has been out just over 3 months.
What the? Civ5 was released 21/24 September. That makes it over 6 months.

Of course there will be an expansion, there are enough people who will buy it. It would take at least two consecutive awful games for sales to start decreasing markedly. The brand name Civ is still powerful, even after the abortion of a game that was Civ 5.

I voted no only because I hope there won't be an expansion, but the realistic side of me knows there will be.

Civ5 is selling well not because of the name only, it is selling well because they did manage to expand their customer base as they were hoping to do, even if they angered their hardcore fans. They've gained more customers than they've lost. So yes, there will sadly be another expansion. I'd rather see them give up on this 1 UPT mess and move onto something better like Civ6.

Civ5 is selling well not because of the name only, it is selling well because they did manage to expand their customer base as they were hoping to do, even if they angered their hardcore fans. They've gained more customers than they've lost. So yes, there will sadly be another expansion. I'd rather see them give up on this 1 UPT mess and move onto something better like Civ6.

If the game you don't like brought in more customers than before, what makes you think the next edition of it will go back to the model that brought in fewer customers? Is 2K a business? Yes.

In other words, what makes you think Civ6 will be better?

It's important to support the current product line. If there are no expansions for Civ5, I doubt there will be a Civ6. Folks will go, "Oh yeah, Sid Meier, he used to be great until he hung us out to dry with Civ5."

So yes, I think there will be an expansion with new (or returning) mechanics and gameplay changes. I don't know about bundling the DLC in. It would kind of suck for those of us who bought DLC to have to pay for it twice. With Steam it's easy enough to just go a la carte.

i'nm sure there will be a civ 5 complete if there are expansions, which is pretty likely. so i doubt they'd have the dlc in there, at least the ones that have been released so far.

I would be surprised if there was no expansion. DLC isn't a reasonable vehicle for the kinds of new systems that Civ expansions have ordinarily brought to the table - too many versioning concerns for multiplayer.

With DLC Civs this isn't a problem - get the assets on everyone's computer and make sure the new Civs aren't overpowered and the problem is pretty much non-existent. With DLC features? If you bought the Espionage, the Global Trade but not the Religions DLC, who can you play with in MP? Finding games would be a nightmare.

I can't think of any recent game that had an expansion pack released for it, certainly not any FPS where everything is DLC.

I can't think of any recent game that had an expansion pack released for it, certainly not any FPS where everything is DLC.
That because there weren't expansion packs for FPS in the last 5 years? Sports and Rancing games usually don't get expansions either.

I know many RPG and strategy games that did (or will) get an expansion (e.g. Dragon Age, StarCraft 2).

Of course there will be an expansion, there are enough people who will buy it. It would take at least two consecutive awful games for sales to start decreasing markedly. The brand name Civ is still powerful, even after the abortion of a game that was Civ 5.

Civ 5 was buggy at release, like just about every single other PC (And every Civ game to date) game in the history of PC games. I'll conceed it was probably even leaning towards the bad end of the spectrum as far as bugs go. That being said, it was released in a finished state and to call it an "abortion" is just ridiculous. Whether or not you like the game is just your personal preference.

I honestly hate comments like that.

Of course there will be. DLC is always about adding new optional content... Depending on the game: new scenarios, new civilizations, new weapons/items, new units, new characters, new maps et cetera...

I doubt they will add "non-optional content" in any other way than expansions or free patches, because that, if nothing else, would mix up MP completely.

Top Bottom