Single Player MP: "Leader Passing"

Floating Pants

Drunk on Life
Well, sorta MP.

So a vision came to me the other day. You know how in history different leaders rule over a single country? When one dies the other takes over? Civ doesn't have that! We got one guy that has it all planned out his whole game knowing exactly what he'll do and when. What if that guy died? Who would he pass it to? What if?! That's the question!!
:run:

Alright, back to reality. The idea of this special MP game is sprung from that little line of thought I had above. A game of Civ starts out as one guy, let's say he plays the first 100 turns. After those 100 turns he "passes" the game to another guy for the next 100 turns. This continues until the game ends, which would be the normal 500 turns in this case. Not only will this give a really confusing odd end result, but think about how the player will feel if he enters into a massive war, either planned to win or lose by the last guy. :eek: We'll just attach the new save to the post.

But here's the catch. I want to see communication kept to a minimum for this little game that I have. Just for the hell of it. I want the new guy that takes over to not have a clue what happened before.

So guys, let me go over the rules again:

1. One player plays a set interval of a civ game, post it after he's done (like after 100 turns).
  2. Another player downloads that game, and plays another interval themselves.
  3. End player will post end result and see who was the best and worst players.
  4. NO COMMUNICATION BETWEEN PLAYERS, and if you have to post about the game, please wrap it in a spoiler and notify that it's about the current game!
  5. First player decides leader and civ, and does not tell the other players who they are.

Alright, everything clear? I think I've explained it thoroughly enough. :goodjob:

By the way, quick question, when one game is downloaded by another player, will the events that happened before he downloaded it appear on the graphs, event log, and replay?

Now, I can't post a starter game here right now, because I want to have us decide who is playing each interval beforehand. Also how long the intervals should be, and time speed and difficulty. If anyone want to start a game with me, heads up is that I prefer epic games on prince. ;)

Think the first thing that needs to be decided is the difficulty of the map. I mean if its Deity it would be unfair to others if non-Deity players played not to mention if its an easier game the deity players would ruin it by being too good.

Never played Succession Games, but from what I can tell, pretty different. Can you kind of explain to me what they really are...? I'm having a tough time finding out, but I'm guessing that they are something along the lines of quick scenario based playing, with the starter telling players what you can and cannot do.

If that's the case, no, this is nothing like that. When I said "no communication", I meant from the other players that are downloading the game halfway through. So... yeah, not like that.

They play so many turns and then the next play plays so many turns like your suggesting in succession games, players usually talk to each other but not always. The special rules aren't needed for a succession game but they usual have them to make them more interesting

I am in. You can sign me up. I prefer normal speed but will play epic if i must. Definitely not Marathon though.

And standard map size please.

I used to be an emperor level player but had'nt played for about a year until recently and seemed to have lost touch a bit, more of a monarch player now. So i guess prince is not too much below my level, and i would like to play if you will have me on board.

By the way, quick question, when one game is downloaded by another player, will the events that happened before he downloaded it appear on the graphs, event log, and replay?
Please no huts or events.

I'll play but I'm normally a emperor/immortal player so prince could be easy

No communication or coordination. Abnormally long turnsets. Each player only plays one turnset before spectating the rest. That's how it's different from the typical games run there, but I 'd agree with you that it does seem to be just a weird variant on a succession game. Perhaps you'd do better looking for players in that forum?

Yep, this is basically a succession game with its own unique variant

Alright, I'll post future games of this nature in that SG forum. ;)

But for now, the show must go on. I've never been able to get used to normal speed on any Civ games, so my performance will be worse on that. I'm gonna have to stay on epic or marathon, but people here don't like marathon, so epic it is. Monarch difficulty I can handle, on emperor I'd have a hard time. But like I said, I prefer to stick to prince.

So! As of right now, we have:

1. Floating Pants (me)
2. Shafi-is-back
3. Turin Turumarth

So guys, I'll be looking for about 5 or 6 or 7 people for this game. Then we'll divide the turns into how long each player will be playing for (fraction of the total turns). Then we'll start it off, anyone want to go first? Or last?

@floatingpants.I,l play,could create a pretty :crazyeye: result with different players playstyles,tech paths,wonder preferences etc.It,ll make you put your stamp on the empire more methinks.

This sounds like fun. I'm primarily an emperor player though, so a mismatch in difficulty levels might be a concern..? Or maybe I could join another group if this proves popular?

Ok guys, with the new members, we've got a total of:

1. Floating Pants (me)
2. Shafi-is-back
3. Turin Turumarth
4. XRW175P6MQ4 (seriously dude, how'd you come up with that name?)
5. FlyingSwan
6. MarigoldRan (sorry, Immortal is no can do :shifty:)

That's six, so it's a run if no one else wants to join. Don't wanna top more than 7 players because player's will end up with less than 100 turns.

So the game is probably gonna happen in that order listed. That means from the 750 turns in epic, each of the 6 players get 125 turns apiece. With 7 players, it gets a bit awkward, with about 107 turns apiece. Our preferences have become prince, epic, no huts or events, and no archipelago.

So, since a lot of guys here are a bit better than me, and we're still probably going prince, these results might be a little ridiculous. But hey, this is a new idea, and we've gotta start somewhere. Any objections? I might be able to go for emperor at the highest, only if we want my session, and maybe a few others, to end up pretty bad. If not, I should have this set up by tomorrow afternoon.

Also, for the current players, now is the time to decide if when you want your session to be in relation to the rest.

Set a few more rules:

For example, how much time does each person have to complete their round? What happens if they don't?

Also, there's a good chance the last two players may not get to play at all.

This, btw, seems like a very good idea.

EDIT: Also, I assume everyone is on their honor code to try their best?

Top Bottom