Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

I have some ideas for future:

- city can produce food (like gold and science)
not via hammers, but in proportion to the number of cells field
that-be had a point to share - the city-village and city-makers

- food move to one general ambar and then distributed to individual in each city

- maybe good idea make for first free civics citylimit (3-6-9)...

- please make menu option that do not hanters to subdue animals - only kills
in vs 13 I manual kill 4-5 sabdued animal every turn,
and have two generals only by defense against animals in 3000 BC

I have some ideas for future:

- city can produce food (like gold and science)
not via hammers, but in proportion to the number of cells field
that-be had a point to share - the city-village and city-makers

- food move to one general ambar and then distributed to individual in each city

- maybe good idea make for first free civics city-limit (3-6-9)...

- please make menu option that do not hunters to subdue animals - only kills
in vs 13 I manual kill 4-5 subdued animal every turn,
and have two generals only by defense against animals in 3000 BC

I'll let the guys that handle the rest answer for themselves, but as far as the General is concerned, do you have a Check-Mark in the "BUG" options for Dynamic XP by any chance, if you do that takes away about 1/2 the Generals you can get.

@Koshling, one thing i cant remember about SVN is what do i have to do to get a working copy of C2C, ie, one with NO svn files inside?

I'll let the guys that handle the rest answer for themselves, but as far as the General is concerned, do you have a Check-Mark in the "BUG" options for Dynamic XP by any chance, if you do that takes away about 1/2 the Generals you can get.

@Koshling, one thing i cant remember about SVN is what do i have to do to get a working copy of C2C, ie, one with NO svn files inside?

It's not the svn files that stop it working. That's a red herring. Must be some other issue with the changes that have been made to the files, not svn per se. I'll try to run it and diagnose it a bit later. I presume that to run it you are just copying your working folder into a copy inside program files etc.?

i'll let the guys that handle the rest answer for themselves, but as far as the general is concerned, do you have a check-mark in the "bug" options for dynamic xp by any chance, if you do that takes away about 1/2 the generals you can get.

dynamic xp options is enabled, but compared with the previous version number of animals has increased significantly

dynamic xp options is enabled, but compared with the previous version number of animals has increased significantly

OK if you want more Generals then un-check Dynamic XP, and yes there are more animals in newer versions.

It's not the svn files that stop it working. That's a red herring. Must be some other issue with the changes that have been made to the files, not svn per se. I'll try to run it and diagnose it a bit later. I presume that to run it you are just copying your working folder into a copy inside program files etc.?

Thats NOT what i am asking, the SVN is OK. I just want a copy that has NO marked svn files inside, because it take up over 2 GB of space and messes with turn times. ALOT.

Otherwise i'd have to go thru each and EVERY folder and take out the svn marked folders, and that took me over an hour just to do that already.

Thats NOT what i am asking, the SVN is OK. I just want a copy that has NO marked svn files inside, because it take up over 2 GB of space and messes with turn times. ALOT.

Otherwise i'd have to go thru each and EVERY folder and take out the svn marked folders, and that took me over an hour just to do that already.

Ah ok. See http://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-dug-export.html

I just tried this using the right-click-and-drag method (and selecting to export versioned files only) and it seems to do the right thing. One small wrinkle for me (and likely most of us, but it'll depend on what version of Windows you are on and if you have UAC turned on I guess) is that Windows is funny about operations inside 'program files' and exportign directly there gave an error, so I created an empty folder outside the program files area to hold the image without the .svn stuff, and did the right-click and drag to there, then just moved it into 'program files/firaxis/...' once it was done.

So, in summary:

1) Create an empty folder somewhere not inside 'program files'
2) Rigth click and drag the root folder of your working copy to this new folder
3) Select the 'export without versioned files' option
4) Move the result into your mods folder (and rename it from C2C to Caveman2Cosmos)

The result works fine for me.

On another matter, but still relating to SVN, you (SO) modified a lot of files I wouldn't have expected to be modified (private maps, movie for Nagai religion, and so on) in rev 21, which was seveal hundred Mbytes - what was going on there? (the result works fine, just was surprised there had been such a volume of change)

I have just pushed the AI changes (Phase 1) to SVN.

This includes the sources, a few asset changes (techs and subdued animal buildings), and the built DLL itself in /assets.

A few words about this version:

1) It will need shakedown testing, so probably just for modders for now. Let me know if the AI changes (which were largelyl targeting early game improvements) produce any noticeable undesirable side effects (especially later in the game)

2) It adds extra serialised information to the save game files. This means that older DLLs will not be able to read saves from this new DLL. However, the new DLL is backward compatible with previous (max compatbility mode) saves, so will be able to read your existing save games. You just won't be able to go backwards once you start using this version is all.

3) The AI is working a bit harder now, and I have not done another performance tuning pass yet, so it's possible that this version might be slightly slower. If you see significant slowdowns (which I do NOT expect) however, then let me know.

Should people who want to test or stay up to date with all the new stuff download SVN? I'd love to help test new stuff, despite not exactly being a mod coder

Ah ok. See http://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-dug-export.html

I just tried this using the right-click-and-drag method (and selecting to export versioned files only) and it seems to do the right thing. One small wrinkle for me (and likely most of us, but it'll depend on what version of Windows you are on and if you have UAC turned on I guess) is that Windows is funny about operations inside 'program files' and exportign directly there gave an error, so I created an empty folder outside the program files area to hold the image without the .svn stuff, and did the right-click and drag to there, then just moved it into 'program files/firaxis/...' once it was done.

So, in summary:

1) Create an empty folder somewhere not inside 'program files'
2) Rigth click and drag the root folder of your working copy to this new folder
3) Select the 'export without versioned files' option
4) Move the result into your mods folder (and rename it from C2C to Caveman2Cosmos)

The result works fine for me.

On another matter, but still relating to SVN, you (SO) modified a lot of files I wouldn't have expected to be modified (private maps, movie for Nagai religion, and so on) in rev 21, which was seveal hundred Mbytes - what was going on there? (the result works fine, just was surprised there had been such a volume of change)

So is it safe to update again? And you just have to do the "export" thing if you want to have a usable version to play?

So is it safe to update again? And you just have to do the "export" thing if you want to have a usable version to play?

Everything as far as i can tell, NOW works fine. So go the regular way first, ok as explained in the beginning. Both do work now.:)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10640319&postcount=2887

It just took me alittle time to remember what the heck i was doing, its been since 2007 since i last worked with SVN.

It was all my mistake before, i kept using HEAD revision, when it should have been just a Revision copy, DUH.

Should people who want to test or stay up to date with all the new stuff download SVN? I'd love to help test new stuff, despite not exactly being a mod coder

I to would like to know. Basically, are we going to expect people to go to svn to get the latest or are we going to post 'weekly" updates or some such? Can we publish, just the bits that have changed?

I found and fixed a bug in the Topkapi Palace wonder. My latest full update attached, also fixes kelp and Ngai movie which as not showing.

I am fairly confident I have figured out what needs to be done to the Neanderthal spawn rate for game speed. Similar changes will need to be made for capture of slaves and the subduing of animals. That is that as difficulty level increases or speed gets slower the probability of successful capture should decrease.

I have not yet looked at the svn stuff. Would it be possible to move discussion on that to a new tread with the first post containing instructions so they are easier to find?

I to would like to know. Basically, are we going to expect people to go to svn to get the latest or are we going to post 'weekly" updates or some such? Can we publish, just the bits that have changed?

I found and fixed a bug in the Topkapi Palace wonder. My latest full update attached, also fixes kelp and Ngai movie which as not showing.

I am fairly confident I have figured out what needs to be done to the Neanderthal spawn rate for game speed. Similar changes will need to be made for capture of slaves and the subduing of animals. That is that as difficulty level increases or speed gets slower the probability of successful capture should decrease.

I have not yet looked at the svn stuff. Would it be possible to move discussion on that to a new tread with the first post containing instructions so they are easier to find?

Look at the thread above from me to Hydro, it does explain what to do, but first did you get a registration working to Koshling for entry into the SVN network?

Only those authorized can make changes, and the rest can do what ever they want if they keep up, yes they can get a working copy just as fast as you post them with SVN, thats whats nice about it. Plus everything you do should be listed in the message area, exactly what you are doing so people can see what is going on, and you wont have to repeat yourself anymore, you can in SVN go back to any copy you want and go from there also.

Below is attached how big the SVN is right now.

So pls get this working ok, if you cant or you dont want to, its up to you, i can put in the changes for you, no biggy to me.

EDIT:

Do you want me to hold off on this update from you, till you get going, or your choice??

On my PC it took me 45 minutes to get the SVN working correctly. But i believe Koshling said something like 8 hours for him?? I have d/l speed up to 3 Meg it says 5 but i have never seen over 3?

I know the DARN ADMIN's are holding us back from a real Development Section, as we should get!!!!!!!!!

Look at the thread above from me to Hydro, it does explain what to do, but first did you get a registration working to Koshling for entry into the SVN network?

Only those authorized can make changes, and the rest can do what ever they want if they keep up, yes they can get a working copy just as fast as you post them with SVN, thats whats nice about it. Plus everything you do should be listed in the message area, exactly what you are doing so people can see what is going on, and you wont have to repeat yourself anymore, you can in SVN go back to any copy you want and go from there also.

Below is attached how big the SVN is right now.

So pls get this working ok, if you cant or you dont want to, its up to you, i can put in the changes for you, no biggy to me.

EDIT:

Do you want me to hold off on this update from you, till you get going, or your choice??

On my PC it took me 45 minutes to get the SVN working correctly. But i believe Koshling said something like 8 hours for him?? I have d/l speed up to 3 Meg it says 5 but i have never seen over 3?

I know the DARN ADMIN's are holding us back from a real Development Section, as we should get!!!!!!!!!

I a having a bit of "fear of whats gone before" at the moment. Many years ago I had a very bad experience with a version control system and its taking me a bit long to embrace this even though I feel we need it.

I have tried out the game font utility be Asaf and I am checking it in game now. If it works do you want to manage them or should I?

I suggest that modders just make updates to SVN whenever they wish. Testers are welcome to get the latest from the SVN also, and it's appreciated for those that wish to, but obviously this risks hitting unstable builds if you get unlucky.

I also suggest SO makes point releases on the main release thread regularly (say every 2 weeks, or whenever there are particularly signifcant changes to consume) for those that don't wish to trouble themselves with SVN.

I'm about to go out for tonight, but I'll be pushing more DLL changes tomorrow, including a bunch of CTD fixes that occured when new city states were formed from barbarians.

PS - getting my ass kicked in my latest game. New AI is harder to keep up with :)

Argh! adding in seals to the game fonts worked fine but when i did the walrus I seem to be getting the random font/graphic problem. I will need to go back check that I have done everything correctly. :sigh:

Also I found that founding Sikhism caused a crash. I thought I had fixed that! Attached (expanded) file goes in Modules/DancingHoskuld/Custom_Religions/Sikh

For some reason i can't build ships in cities which are at inland sea (marked with red circles; That "lake" on screenshot has salt water).
Ships just don't appear in build list.

Other coastal cities make ships fine.

Top Bottom