TSG19 Game in Progress

Gave up somewhere mid 1700s. Went for early wonder (Stonehenge) and NC with Tradition/Aristocracy which might not have been the best strategy. Was way behind in all stats for the entire game, although made it into 7th place in score towards the end!

Was friendly with just about everyone and managed to avoid wars, but gave up when Liz declared - she has rocket artillery and I'm still struggling with cavalry!

Struggled to generate enough of anything (cash, culture, production) to give any sort of edge.

Might try again with a more aggressive strategy to get puppets and city-states, can't see many other ways of even having a chance to win this one.

I'm up to turn 114 now. I've captured and annexed Stockholm. I've captured and puppeted Coventry. I took out quite a few of Liz's troops, mostly cats and archers. Here's how my lands look now.
Spoiler :

I'm 15 turns from finishing the Honor tree. Once Coventry finishes that temple it might shave a turn or two off. My plans are to take all of Piety, Liberty, freedom and Commerce for the other 4 trees.

I'm trying to build my forces back up after losing a few to Liz, but had to divert to build markets before my economy crashes. Once I've built back up I'll push to take London and hopefully get her to give me at least a white peace and hopefully some of her stuff instead of the demands of everything but my capital that she's been asking for.

Attachments

• GOTM_19_T114.jpg
    GOTM_19_T114.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 482
I'm trying to build my forces back up after losing a few to Liz, but had to divert to build markets before my economy crashes. Once I've built back up I'll push to take London and hopefully get her to give me at least a white peace and hopefully some of her stuff instead of the demands of everything but my capital that she's been asking for.
Keep up the good work, and good luck! :cheers:

Try my first Deity game.

1) Settled in place,
2) Go first Honor and hunt some barbs. Go for liberty tree.
3) Done Stonehenge in turn 45 with 2 chopped forests and 1 mined hill (2 worked need, 1 from liberty and 1 buyed)
4) Settled Hamburg on pearls (done NC in Berlin, bought library in Hamburg), settled 2 more citys (away from Liz), she is always Neutral or Guarded.
5) Allied Bucharest and Kuala Lumpur (Liz didn´t like this)
6) Take de GE (liberty) and build PT, with GS bulb fast Sistine Chapel tecnology and build very fast Sistine Chapel
7) Use legalism to Opera Houses and build Hermitage in Berlin
8) Use a New GE to The Louvre
9) Liz delcares war in turn 187 with Infantry and come very fast for Berlin. I tried to hold with muskets but i didn´t do

Liz have a DoF with Washington and both starts to kill everyone.
I tried to do RA´s (done 5-6 but i had low cash every time)

I will try a second time.

Sorry about my english.

I will try a second time.

Sorry about my english.
Nice try and good luck the second time around.

Your english is way better than my Portuguese! :goodjob:

Keep up the good work, and good luck! :cheers:

Thanks. I've beaten deity before, but that was several patches back before all the happiness and policy tree changes. So far, I'm liking all the changes over the last several patches. However, I'll probably stick to Emperor after this, except for GOTM games that is. I'll play these no matter what level they're set at.:D

I think I am going to try a campaign of destruction and then backdoor a :c5culture: win in the 20XXs once everyone is basically wiped out. Easier said than done but it might be the only way to win this one by :c5culture:.

First Deity attempt and it sure is different. Going to get my butt kicked. Am on turn 132 and not doing well, but still alive. Completed 8 SPs. Settled Hamburg (t56) to the west by the pearls and wine and later Munich (t81) up north maybe 7 N of Berlin (settled in place). I was avoiding going up there because of England's hostility, but decided to do so after she declared on t71. Got under such pressure I could not build another settler. Did not like the looks of the possible city spot south owing to deserts, maybe a mistake.

Did not take Aristocracy early to go for early Wonder, but maybe that was a mistake. One of the ruins gave me mining so I could chop. If I had built a worker third instead of a granary and taken Aristo, maybe I could have chopped and production-focused my way to get GL, which otherwise went on t37. The only Wonder I got was Hagia Sofia on t122, but then someone else got Sistine Chapel so I planted my GE for a Manufactory near Berlin. There was nothing else to take but a National Epic.

Took Tradition first (as always), then Honor, then focused on Liberty until a CS requested a GG and I took Warrior code. The Tradition SP that gives better city defense would have been useful and would the one in Honor that accelerates promotions.

Knocked off quite a few barbs and I think three came over to me from camps. Allied with KL (they helped a LOT against England) and Bucharest. Wish I had gotten Stockholm. Had trouble keeping the alliances and could not afford others. Only afforded signing one RA (Darius), still pending.

Made all kinds of mistakes, like settling Hamburg a few turns before completing the NC in Berlin (had taken a break and forgot to wait). So I had to buy a Library in Hamburg. Though I am usually good about protecting units in tactical fights, I lost several. I tried twice to take Stockholm and could not (Cat, Archer, several Swords, several Landsnechts). Was getting iron from KL and when I lost the alliance had to scramble to develop the 4 iron in my territory, which required buying several hexes. Just not an efficient plan at all.

My early choices:

Spoiler :

Research: Pottery (9), Mining (ruins, 14), Writing (21), Calendar (31), AH (35), Phil (45), Trap (50), Archery (53), BW (61), IW (69), Sail (71), Wheel (78), C.S. (83) ...

Berlin: Monument (8), Scout (12), Granary (22), Library (32), Worker (42), Warrior (47), Archer (59), N.C. (64), Settler (76), Water Mill (86), Landnecht (89), Temple ( ...

Social Policies: Tradition (13), Honor (18), Liberty (23), Citizenship (37), Collective Rule (52), Warrior Code (73), Representation (91), Republic (108)

Hamburg: buy Library (60), Monument (72), Water Mill (103), Granary (119),

Munich: Monument (108)

Well, I gave it a shot.

My whole gambit was based on staying with one city and not angering anybody. Nevertheless, Elizabeth wanted me dead.

I went straight after iron swords and then longswords. Half the players were finishing rennaisance wonders before I even got the longswords. I beat Liz pretty bad for a while, but when her cannons showed up I said forget it...

Sad part is, even with one city, I only had seven social policies finished in 150 turns. I went with honor and got a lot of culture from killing barbs, but no world wonders whatsoever. Great Library went on turn 35... what an absolute joke :crazyeye:

I went for Stonehenge and missed it by four turns. Most of the mideivel and ren wonders were gone before I ever had the tech.

I am no match for Diety. :blush:

This one is really tough due to threefold reasons. First Germany, 2nd Cultural Victory and third Deity !! Doing all 3 for the first time (I have defeated AI at immortal).

I went for tradition instead of liberty as obviously I won't be building a lot of settlers/workers. Next I went for Peity. DWonders: couldn't get any !! not even one. Even though I am signing RAs all the time still I am behind in Tech by Darius by at least 14%. I think I needed to get Patronage/Rationalism instead of Peity. But it just seems odd to not get Peity on a cultural VC.

Everyone is friendly besides LIz, with whom I am at war since the start. Have managed to keep LIz from destroying me by a Citadel, and making Darius attack Liz every time they sign a peace treaty. My army is weak as I cannot afford to build units and sacrifice gold there. I am turn 244..

Good news: I still have my 3 good cities. Everybody is fighting each other, so no clear runaways. I am keeping Darius busy in wars (with not just LIz because if I do he will clear Liz in a jiffy) so that it doesn't go for scientific. Diplomatic is out of the question as most CS are dead.
I am aiming for Panzer and then try to destroy as much as I can.

Something weird happened at turn 241. I was allied to stockholm (which I liberated from Liz). Now I am at war with Liz, which means it is also at war with Stockholm. Now suddenly Stockholm is allied to Liz and declares war on me. How could it ally with LIZ when they were at war ? Some bug ?

Okies so that was what happened till turn 244. America had most cities, Persia leader in Science, India leader in Policies (completed 4 trees), Askia leading in Military and England had all the CS with whom Persia and Me are fighting.

Rest of the world: Askia declares on America. I didn't care as both were almost same size (the largest two) and didn't seem anyone would be able to destroy the other. BIG Mistake. Askia just rampaged America and was now in control of half the map. Good thing Askia was not leading in science so would have some time before ti goes for scientific victory.

Wars going on: Askia + India v/s pers.. Pers+Me v/s Liz. America/ Ottomans/Iroquos didn't count much.
Everyone is friendly with me besides England.

My side: Fighting with Liz. Got Panzers and now it was time for Liz to pay for all the aggression. Captured 5 of her cities (including capital) and signed of peace by extorting 15k gold + 300gpt. Persia was inching close to scientific. Had no option but to go after Pers.
Used up Liz gold to make all CS allies and rushed 10 panzers. Askia and India were already at war with Pers so hitting fast with Panzers worked. Askia was taking pers cities on west and me on east. We both reached till Delhi at almost same time. I liberated all the CS as happiness was already low.

Now it was India's turn as I couldn't let go off Delhi with 10+ wonders inside it. More importantly Eiffel tower / taj Mahal / ND would solve all my happiness issues. I reached Stealth Bombers by rushing 2 GS. Signed Peace with Pers and extorted 7k Gold. Rushed 6 Stealth Bombers and attacked Delhi (which I couldn't without ranged bombings as it was at 160 def. points). Captured Delhi and signed peace with Gandhi (couldn't afford to capture more of his insanely high pop cities) by extorting another 6k Gold.

Now the toughest part of taking on Askia began. Askia had 1/2 of the map, and all the puppets were in front. So I couldn't hurt his production right away. Anyways Askia was already at war with Pers (which still had good military). Also bribed Iroquois (small but not bad) to declare war on Askia. I had like 15 MA + Panzers and 8 Stealth Bombers. Captured 4 of Askia cities and then it struck me with Nuclear missilies :((..
All my stealth bombers died. I had gold to create another 5 bombers. Did that and it hit me again with Nuclear missile. I tried playing the same turn again and relocate my bombers, but it was intelligent enough to bomb that specific city.

I might give it one more try but seems a lost cause with Askia being so huge. I can easily win scientifc / diplomatic (even domination) but cultural is a very long shot. It is turn 317 and I have still not completed 4 trees. Finally I am happy with my game as this was the first Deity attempt and I could win it if not for Cultural VC.

If I play again:
1) Get Liz before she gets longbows but without iron it seems difficult. I was able to hold her first time all because of a Citadel.
2) To win a cultural victory it will take at least 325+ turns. In that much time if any AI civ is left at a good position it will win by scientific. So, basically has to play very aggressive keeping everyone else happy (to trade).

2) To win a cultural victory it will take at least 325+ turns. In that much time if any AI civ is left at a good position it will win by scientific. So, basically has to play very aggressive keeping everyone else happy (to trade).
You are doing very well to get this far.

From the Game Announcement page:
In this game, the designated VC is Culture. You may win by any VC you wish (emphasis added), as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Culture victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time. Good Luck!
At Deity, I say the heck with the designated VC, win in whatever way you can. :thumbsup:

Good Luck. :cheers:

Damn I wish I had known that, this is my 2nd GOTM only. Will post a victory snapshot soon :)

doing quite OK here:
as posted in my 1. progress post - I did gl start boosted by aristrocracy.
Went for more wonders after - got henge hagia oracle missed gardens (built them for only 1 t before some1 else finished) and chitzen.
GE rushed PT and later Louvre and now Sydney Opera.

Built 2 more Cities (d now like to have 4-5) - 1 kinda close to england - incoming war was obvious so I built Landsknechts there - After swords and LS become avaiable (After Astro I went lower path before Lovre) I upgraded 3 LS and started attacking England and took 3 Cities.
Was in war with Persia nearly all game but it didnt attack really a lot - so no defense was needed.

What kinda helped was that I m having 4-5 CS about all game - was really lucky with some early barbs missions (had to hard buy only 2 of em) and afterwards again lucky with their demands (stuff like oracle, GE, GA, roads and so on)

well but now it seems deity is kicking in:

now its turn 160 about - RA brought me into modern era and I used 2 scientists and Rationalsim finsiher to get the techs for opera house and Radio tower - right the next turn 4 ais DOWd me (all with running RAs) - looks like my military actions which have been mostly offensive untill now will now switch into a struggle to survive (got like 12 sp to come with one each 6-10 turns thats approx 100t to survive - I m pretty positive I can do that (as I m ahead in tech atm) but really have to watch not to loose my Veteran units

about turn 50 now, got Gl with a "all out going" for it, then settled 2nd city and milked ais for gold to buy CS, not sure yet were to settle a 3rd city, my capital is really strong think I can get some more wonders. But ais dont like me too much - guess england will attack at some point - I be better rdy for it.

Interesting. Did you settle in place? What was your initial build order? What turn did the GL come in? Thanks.

With no experience of either Bismarck or Deity, I looked over all the Deity threads I could muster and played a couple of test games before jumping in here. On that basis, I went for a rapid 3-city start with barb-hunting (Honour starter then Liberty) before NC and HS. At turn 82 my plan has not yet failed BUT I have had disastrous luck with the “Furor”. In my test game, I managed to build a 5-brute army for free fairly quickly, but in the game proper I have destroyed FIVE barb camps without a single recruit.
Spoiler :
This is immensely frustrating as I really need a fighting force to deter the monstrous armies of England and Persia. Still, I have completed NC and started HS. I have a puny 6-unit archer / warrior army but have DOF with both Persia and USA. I also bribed England to DOW on Persia and the two giants are now locked in battle. Civil Service is due in 5 turns, then I need to research IW before Education (hoping for some iron!!). Settled in place, city 2 to E on river plains next to mountain (wine, horses etc) and city 3 on marsh to N (2 ivory, spices horse etc). If I can survive to Ren era I may have a remote chance of victory, but culture is by far the least preferred option on an already difficult set-up. If I managed to get 2xGE from HS and Liberty, the initial plan was to use one for ND and the other either for PT (using the GS to bulb Acoustics) or hold back for Sistine Chapel. Given that the map looks like Continents (although I haven’t yet fully explored beyond Persia), I may need to prioritise Astronomy above Acoustics and forget any remote thoughts of a culture win. There are 2 very nice city sites to the S (ivory/sheep) and SW (pearls) and a tight 5-city core might just keep me competitive.
The mere fact that I am not yet contemplating imminent defeat is a victory in itself!

turn 240 now - after I was away like 5 sp from win I got Dowed from all world (it was obvious so I did milk a bit before).

Well last session been like 20 turns costing me all free day (2-3 hours).

Got like 8 German Panzers and 2 elite mechs (+my starting scout now being a überxbowman killing even tanks) and well they cut through ais units like machettes cut butter. Hit and run hit and run every turn.

I m at +500 gold +600 science and + 800 cult (8 settles artists + all cult wonders and still this seems slim) per turn but sp take now each 10t.

Really looks like they made winning via cult really harder now - even when I didnt go piety tree- sp aquistion d have been way faster pre patch.

Well dont think I can loose this now - even when now India spitting now tanks aswell - they use em so dumb ...

What a REALLY hate that I have to watch every turn my ais fighting - espacially this shooting -1 each turn against some ship - takes way too long ...

Will end this in another session (like my 10th or more then in proly around turn 280)

edit: maybe i ll just use my 7000 spare cash for some more tanks and kill india aswell so I can have peace and turns end faster

About 10 turns after my prior post England attacked my northern city with 6 longbows, 1 archer, 1 pike, 1 knight. I killed 4, immediately replaced by longbows, so the city fell and I gave up. Now trying a second time with a goal to survive to t200. Playing more aggressively taking barbs, took Coventry and Stockholm, hanging in there around t180. This is a tough one, but enjoyable to learn a lot.

I'm trying something different: saw the cultural VC and decided to try for OCC with Hanging Gardens. Went for that all out, beelining math, two workers chopping four forests, and production maxed, and got it...from memory around turn 57? Not sure about that.

Purposefully kept units around home, and since getting to civil service I've pumped about 5-6 landsknechts, but have yet to use them for anything but a quest. It's turn 113 and I've only finished the tradition tree, with my next policy to choose when I start the next session. No wars yet. Everyone's friendly except Elizabeth, who is neutral and has cities in a line from London southwest to the pearls on the coast west of Berlin (settled in place). Have three RAs in place. Way behind in most everything...but alive.

My 'strategy' is probably deeply flawed, but shrug, it's a bit of a lark, I tend to just give it a whirl and see what happens. So far...still alive. Hopefully I can start some puppeting soon.

Top Bottom