C2C - Subdued Barbarians

Hydromancerx

C2C Modder
The concept is a hybrid of subdued animals and wonder civs. Rather than having your city location determine if you can build a barbarian unit would determine it. Each culture would have their own "wild" unit that would be their unique unit. Once subdued they would be able to build their civ's culture building. This in turn would allow you to produce their units like normal.

The question is should we go this route? Should we change them all or only some? Which ones? How should we deal with units who only come about in later eras if there are no "wild" areas to get them? Should we stick to only "barbarian" civs like Huns or Mongols?

Please give feedback on what you think of this.

The concept is a hybrid of subdued animals and wonder civs. Rather than having your city location determine if you can build a barbarian unit would determine it. Each culture would have their own "wild" unit that would be their unique unit. Once subdued they would be able to build their civ's culture building. This in turn would allow you to produce their units like normal.

The question is should we go this route? Should we change them all or only some? Which ones? How should we deal with units who only come about in later eras if there are no "wild" areas to get them? Should we stick to only "barbarian" civs like Huns or Mongols?

Seems to me that this would be better done as part of the whole slavery system. Freed slaves (and to a much lesser extent non-freed ones) should bring elemnts of their original culture with them.

I think the Culture Civ system now as it relates to founding based on resources/terrain/features is actually pretty good. So I wouldn't want to see it COMPLETELY revamped. (Although I AM in favor of making them World Wonders since I think it's silly for Greek Civilization to "spring up" in separate parts of the world.) :mischief:

BUT... if you're talking about a Culture UNIQUE to the barbarian units (a small handful) that require capture/slavery/taming, then that WOULD be pretty cool. :) Keep the culture stuff we have now, but add those few new ones (or maybe convert 1 or 2).

As a way of introducing SOME remote barb cultures, that might be an interesting concept to have some slaves at random provide that ability (but then we'd have a finite # of slaves that could do this so that might make for some difficulties once the game has assigned them all and has resulted in another one spawning...)

I'm still working out details on the previous culture concept too... that's not been dropped and is on the immediate radar.

Top Bottom