Is it fair for employers to judge a person by what they say on the Internet?

Gary Childress

Student for and of life
Is it fair for employers to judge a person by what they say on the Internet?

I've heard it said that some employers will look up people's names on the Internet to find out more about them before they hire them. Is this fair? Is this a good way to determine if that person will make a fit in the company?

Obviously this potentially effects me since I use my real name often when I post things on the Internet. HOWERVER I will be the first to admit that my Internet demeanor and my work demeanor are two RADICALLY different personas. At work I try to get along with everyone, I don't talk politics I just do my job and that's about it. I'm sort of the quiet type there. I'm generally the last person to rock the boat when it comes to my place of employment. That doesn't mean I don't have my own opinions which I keep to myself. The Internet is really the only outlet I currently have to express myself.

So is it fair to judge a person based upon what they do when they get home from work? Is it really the business of human resources to evaluate what I do when I get home. Granted if I were an axe murderer and human resources found out I should be terminated and turned into the police. However if I want to experiment with my beliefs and views is that fair? Is that the business of my employer?

Just a reaction to something I heard.

Thanks.

It's not a good way, but in many cases it's the only way apart from your resume. Think about it from the employer's perspective. You are about to spend tens of thousands of dollars on someone you've never met before. Would you not want to learn as much about him as you can? And suppose you see someone who appears to be insensitive or rude, would you want to hire him?

If the candidate has been nice and civil, but happens to have a different political opinion from the boss, it's not right for the employer to discriminate based on that. On the other hand, if the boss does that, he's more than likely a jerk, and you wouldn't want to work for him anyway...

Yes it's fair. These days you should be aware of your online persona. For me, I just look for serious red flags.

Going over someone's facebook isn't much different than a background check.

If the candidate has been nice and civil, but happens to have a different political opinion from the boss, it's not right for the employer to discriminate based on that. On the other hand, if the boss does that, he's more than likely a jerk, and you wouldn't want to work for him anyway...

That's what I'm afraid of, people being able to see what I post, I don't even tell my friends about this account.

I find that it's not fair for employers to judge a person based on what they say on the internets.

Yes it's fair. These days you should be aware of your online persona. For me, I just look for serious red flags.

What is the difference between this view and Orwell's 1984. Is this a good view for us to have? So long as you either stay off the camera or express yourself on the internet in an "acceptable" manner you are fine. But if you express yourself on the internet in an "unacceptable" manner (and I don't mean something like admitting one is an axe murderer, I mean simply believing something that conflicts with the political opinion or tastes of your employer).

As I've stated. I'm a very good employee at work. I get the job done without complaint and I give it my all. That is all I owe my employer. I DO NOT OWE IT TO MY EMPLOYER TO BELIEVE IN WHAT HE WANTS ME TO BELEIVE IN WHEN I AM NOT ON THE JOB.

I guess it is just my opinion but I think it is pretty vile for you to believe that I owe it to my employer to act in a certain way when I am not at work.

What exactly constitutes a "red flag"?

It sounds like you do this yourself. So you are actually combing the Internet picking and choosing who you hire based upon what they say when they are off the job? Is that really your business. Sorry if I feel a little revolted by your response.

Be careful about what you post online. Once it's on the Internet it will follow you the rest of your life. Just about everything is searchable.

What about imposters?

What about imposters?

It happens but people can usually figure out the obvious ones. Like if someone posts as you on facebook while you're in the presence of the people who know you. You can report this to the admins, especially if someone is trying to impersonate you for whatever reason. That and if someone asks if that was you, you can just explain that no, it was someone else. Your personal honesty with the people you interact with will go a long way towards convincing them of the truth.

Be careful about what you post online. Once it's on the Internet it will follow you the rest of your life. Just about everything is searchable.

Truthfully I don't care if people remember what I say on the Internet. I can always apologize if I've said something that merrits an apology. But I don't see where it is any business of an employer what I say when I am not at work. Work is about getting the job done not about what your views are. If you comb the Internet looking for reasons to disqualify candidates from employment then you are a little sick and twisted yourself. WHY? Because what I say on the Internet doesn't have any effect on whether or not I will work hard the next day. If I can do the job and do it well I should be able to say whatever the hell I damn well please when I'm not on the job. :mad:

It's absolutely fair. It's my business and my money that will be spent if I hire you, so I should be able to find out what I'm getting.

Lol, you can actually see the divide between the people who have a job and people who don't on this thread.

On the other hand, I really doubt many employers would crawl out the past of any prospective employee on the internet, I mean a single person can say alot; do you really have time to figure out a person's history of what he or she said on the internet? Probably not. Would it give an accurate picture on how the employee would function? Probably not either.

I have said some stupid things here too, but you'll first have to know that's actually me (I'm talking from the perspective of the employer, who would have my real name) and then you would have to read all my messages to get a glimpse of who I'd might be, and that takes alot.

lol when someone pieces together all my internet personas I'm so screwed.

Well frankly, I think more people think the same way than you could possibly imagine.

On the other hand, I really doubt many employers would crawl out the past of any prospective employee on the internet, I mean a single person can say alot; do you really have time to figure out a person's history of what he or she said on the internet? Probably not. Would it give an accurate picture on how the employee would function? Probably not either.

I have said some stupid things here too, but you'll first have to know that's actually me (I'm talking from the perspective of the employer, who would have my real name) and then you would have to read all my messages to get a glimpse of who I'd might be, and that takes alot.

I think other than social media, things said online would be hard to pin down. No one is going to know my PW:Name and contre are one in the same. Unless I was stupid enough to reveal my name to you all.

Interesting side question: should things said as a minor be able to be used against you later in life? Should there be a statute or limitations on how far back internet searches can crawl for personal information? Say my name is Contre Jones. Should personal details more be searchable from 10 years ago?

If you troll on the webz and are stupid enough to use your real name, I wouldn't hire you because you're stupid.

Top Bottom