Lost on turn 0, beat this.

Realyn

Warlord
EDIT: Sorry, this was supposed to go into the "General Discussion" forums. Could a moderator move the thread please?

Hi there,

Just wanted to start a new game ... fractal, random civ and got Korea. Allready thought about what kind of game I want to go for ... until this happened:

Allright. Nothing to see here, move on. Next game :D.

Is this a common bug? Never happened to me before.

Wow...at least you didn't lose much time at playing this game :D

Somehow you build a giant marble statue of a woman without discovering masonry, bronze, or iron. That's impressive!

The entire starting area is ice?

Well that settles it. Babylon is better than Korea.

I had something like at turn 0, the Lhasa and Kathmandu Civilizations conquered! WTF did Genghis just do? :lol:

I had something like at turn 0, the Lhasa and Kathmandu Civilizations conquered! WTF did Genghis just do? :lol:

This could be because the CS's had nowhere to settle, so they just went deleting the settlers en masse. ;)

Back to the game: I have no idea what could be the cause, but look on the bright side, that saved you from at least one night of no sleep. :p

well given that the whole mini map is ice, im betting the settings at cooked more than the op lets on.

if you choose crazy settings youll get crazy results.

well given that the whole mini map is ice, im betting the settings at cooked more than the op lets on.

random civ, fractal, deity, epic.

Soooo crazy. You do know you can't choose anything with fractal, right?

Moderator Action: Moved to General Discussions. :)

In future, please report a thread if you want it moved, to alert us to it.

You occasionally get this - a loss screen straight at the start, as no viable start position could be found.
With 'Fractal' there aren't even settings to choose from. This map type uses the basic fractal generator with the least amount of modifications.

I hope the civ community isn't worried about getting a placement problem like this once in a few hundred starts. The game has still many real issues, and I rather see the developers looking at those. A little hickup like this... pff (no disrespect towards the opening poster, but I hope you understand my perspective).

Had the same, playing the Arabs...

I used to use fractal a lot, without any problems. These days I almost always choose random...

I, too, have had the OP situation (and started a thread on it)... probably your settler was defeated on turn 0.

It just happened to me..twice. Korea, fractal, emperor with VEM mod.

Three times now, continents map...

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/540672366532154645/F9C57B93F8DFD9AAE6A183DC3B1C340B7FA730E7/

OK, now Im worried, I cant start the game. Everytime I lose on turn 0. I tried 4 civs, without mods, 4 maps types...all games lost turn 0. Ill try to verify cache integrity..

Yep, It seems I cant play CiV anymore. Or I lose on turn 0 or I have a fatal error before starting.

Donwloading everything again...

You occasionally get this - a loss screen straight at the start, as no viable start position could be found.
With 'Fractal' there aren't even settings to choose from. This map type uses the basic fractal generator with the least amount of modifications.

This is the right answer. It is not the settler being captured, none of the other AI opponents have moved yet (go into FireTuner to see). The mini-map showed your randomly generated starting location and it was in an area that your settler cannot be placed (i.e., ice).

A lot of players use fractal maps for the unpredictability they are meant to provide, which tbh they don't really provide much of. There's nothing crazy about fractal maps that would lead to something like this happening.

In Civ 4, if you ever picked the maximum number of civs, highest sea levels and largest ice poles (cold map), several civs would end up starting in ice regions. However the map generator would convert a small patch of land around such start areas to normal terrain, so you would get several patches among the ice regions with civs starting in serious isolation and very difficult to capture, or for them to expand.

Top Bottom