Which UU's abilities carry over when upgraded?

One buggy feature is that Korean Hwacha keeps 200% city attack bonus when is upgraded from Catapult. Since they are designed to deal with the units (not cities), they have twice much higher power then its replacement and don't have city 200% promotion originally. A Hwacha with 200% city attack bonus is truly overpowered.

Due to this, Korea has a unit that is stronger than Great War Infantry (against cities) before the Renaissance era.

Korea is no longer a defensive civ. LoL

I know it's not a UU, but has anyone else noticed that the Caravel's "Withdraw Before Melee" carries over with upgrades (giving you Ironclads with it)? This is directly related to it carrying over from Slingers as they use the exact same promo.

Also the Ironclad's "Bonus vs Cities (33)" carries over to Destroyer... although I haven't found a single UU that uses that value.

Pictish Warriors lose the ability to gain faith from kills, but they do retain the Foreign Lands bonus and No Movement Cost to Pillage. Can you imagine an attack helicopter that can burn down a city's surroundings in one turn?

I can imagine that, that's what I used Sipahi for, back in vanilla ;) upgrading them to helicopters made them really nice.

I've had Pictish Warriors upgraded to Lancers. They were really useful.

Find the name of the promotion and look it up in the Unit_Promotions.xml and see if it has LostWithUpgrade set to true (default is false if that line isn't present).

I'm not positive on this, but I wonder if the way of determining is whether or not the promotion in question is listed in the civilopedia? A lot of unique promotions are documented there, but I'm not sure whether it's all of them or not.

I'm not positive on this, but I wonder if the way of determining is whether or not the promotion in question is listed in the civilopedia? A lot of unique promotions are documented there, but I'm not sure whether it's all of them or not.

Some of them are, like the Maori, but I know for a fact that some aren't, like the Jaguars.

Mandekalu Cavalry - Nothing to carry over, the specials is from the civ, not the unit.
Also makes it a lot less fun to get it from a military CS.

Mandekalu Cavalry gifted from a CS should come without the penalty vs cities, making them still be significantly better than an ordinary knight, no?

Now, getting Landsknecht as the UU from a CS really would be disappointing -- their only advantage over a pikeman is being cheaper to build which doesn't help you at all, and also means they'll be more expensive to promote - d'oh!

Mandekalu Cavalry - Nothing to carry over, the specials is from the civ, not the unit.
Also makes it a lot less fun to get it from a military CS.

Not true. The Mandekalu Cavalry don't have the -33% combat strength against cities that Knights do. Since this isn't a promotion, but a lack of penalty, it does return when they are upgraded to cavalry.

Edit:Ninja'd by ideolect! The bonus against cities isn't really useful, since siege units do most of the work on cities. Atlatlists are also simply cheaper versions of archers (that can be built earlier as well).

Not true. The Mandekalu Cavalry don't have the -33% combat strength against cities that Knights do. Since this isn't a promotion, but a lack of penalty, it does return when they are upgraded to cavalry.

Edit:Ninja'd by ideolect! The bonus against cities isn't really useful, since siege units do most of the work on cities. Atlatlists are also simply cheaper versions of archers (that can be built earlier as well).

I think that if you're still using siege units as the Songhai, you're simply not leveraging their Mandekalu Cavalry especially well. An army consisting of largely Mandekalu Cavalry will work well as mobile city-takers because they move fast and can move after attacking, kind of like a later era Companion Cavalry. Plus, they ought to have War Canoe and Amphibious now, so they're really good fighting past rivers and from the ocean.

Of course, it'll still depend on the relative tech level. MandeCav perform best as rapid city-takers with a slight tech advantage from aggressively beelining Chivalry. Presumably, you'll be upgrading them from Horsemen for maximum impact wen you declare war.

I think that if you're still using siege units as the Songhai, you're simply not leveraging their Mandekalu Cavalry especially well. An army consisting of largely Mandekalu Cavalry will work well as mobile city-takers because they move fast and can move after attacking, kind of like a later era Companion Cavalry. Plus, they ought to have War Canoe and Amphibious now, so they're really good fighting past rivers and from the ocean.

Of course, it'll still depend on the relative tech level. MandeCav perform best as rapid city-takers with a slight tech advantage from aggressively beelining Chivalry. Presumably, you'll be upgrading them from Horsemen for maximum impact wen you declare war.

They may still be useful, just not nearly as much as before. The Shanghai have gotten pretty nerfed it seems. Back on topic, do the Berserker promotions carry over when they are upgraded?

Carthagian African Forest Elephant.

Losses fear, retains Greater General production buff.

African Forest Elephant looses its terror ability when upgraded to knight, but retains its great general spawning power.

Although you keep the same ability for Maoris if I recall correctly.

Upgraded Caroleans are awesome!!

Top Bottom