[Religion and Revolution]: Mod Development

Status
Not open for further replies.
It didn't work anyways. I had treasures constantly revealing map without even intending to.

Actually I found out, that it was never activated in XML. :lol:
(The XML value that would have been read for that feature was 0 at the Unit.)

@team:
A new revision is available in SVN. :)

I have made several code improvements.
(Fixed causes of Asserts and actually found 2 small bugs.)

I am not yet done finding / analysing Asserts and improving the code.

However, the game is running without CTDs for me.
(Many, many hundreds of turns in Autoplay.)

@team:
Again a new revision is available in SVN. :)

I have improved AI to not chop features (Forrest, Taiga, Jungle) if it thus makes a valuable Bonus Resource useless.
(I had done something similar for AI considering Improvements already.)

Before this change:
AI would sometimes chop forrest below a Bonus Deer for example.
Thus the Bonus Deer was useless.

Now:
Well, it is obvious.
It does not do things like this anymore.

I apologize if this has already been discussed...I'm new to this forum and haven't run across discussion of rivers aside from the "Large Rivers" thread.

Is there any consideration of making rivers navigable by boat for this mod? Rivers were critically important for transportation, communication, trade, military, etc. during this time period. It's always bugged me that this hasn't been implemented in Civ games as far as I know. I ran across a recent post of a Civ 4 "Strategic Rivers" mod. Maybe this can be incorporated into R&R?

See: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=468148

I ran across a recent post of a Civ 4 "Strategic Rivers" mod.

We know about the Modcomp.
As mentioned in the early discussions, it was part of the inspiration for "Large Rivers".
(The feature "Large Rivers" was first discussed in other threads, before it got its separate thread.)

Maybe this can be incorporated into R&R?

No it can not be included into R&R as it is.

Since it transforms Rivers from Terrain Borders into a Terrain Type it would totally destroy many important aspects / concepts of CivCol and this Mod.

E.g. the balancing of different Yield on the different Terrains.
(And many other aspects.)

This is the reason, why the concept "Large Rivers" was created:
It would reuse some interesting aspects of "Strategic Rivers" (a modcomp that would break our mod)
to create a feature that could actually be interesting for our mod.

Yes, see the Large Rivers thread in the forum for more details about what's been proposed re these. I wouldn't want to replace everything with Strategic Rivers. Keep in mind that the large naval vessels represented as Units in the game (Galleon, Frigate, etc etc) would not realistically navigate most rivers. Existing rivers do give a bonus to local yields which realistically represents that they do have a significant role in local economic infrastructure.

@team and partners:

New revision available in SVN. :)
Please get it. :thumbsup:

I fixed an issue about 3 missing effects.

This could have caused:

1. Performance problems due to unnecessary long search without success.
2. Maybe even CTDs in some rare cases.

@frontiersman:

It would be great, if you could continue checking our mod for Asserts from time to time.
(It is a kind of quality check.)

Thanks for your support. :thumbsup:

@Robert:

When you are done fixing the issue you are currently working at, could you eventually play with Debug-DLL but without Autoplay ?
Maybe for about 100 to 200 rounds.

Reason is, that with Autoplay we do not really use the Interface.
Thus we might miss some Asserts and Bugs.

If you get an Assert, please try to analyze its cause by using debugging functionality.

Sometimes it is just a useful warning that does not indicate a problem.
Sometimes it really indicates a problem in the logic.

@Robert:

When you are done fixing the issue you are currently working at, could you eventually play with Debug-DLL but without Autoplay ?
Maybe for about 100 to 200 rounds.

Reason is, that with Autoplay we do not really use the Interface.
Thus we might miss some Asserts and Bugs.

If you get an Assert, please try to analyze its cause by using debugging functionality.

Sometimes it is just a useful warning that does not indicate a problem.
Sometimes it really indicates a problem in the logic.

Of course I can do that, and will happily do that (I will learn how to fix dll bugs and understand debugging).
However I might need some time. This means I might not be able to finish debugging before a new version is posted. Is that ok?

Of course I can do that, and will happily do that (I will learn how to fix dll bugs and understand debugging).
However I might need some time. This means I might not be able to finish debugging before a new version is posted. Is that ok?

No problem. :)
Improving your knowledge of debugging is a good investion for the future.

If you have any questions, let me know. :thumbsup:

Today I was also pretty busy with some further quality checks and communication with Partners and some befriended modders.
(I have not finished the "Improvement of Native Raids" yet.)

Are you interested in someone proofreading the Mod and bringing some of the bad english ( not even colonial english as I thought you were going for ) into line?

I have uploaded the atlas for resources:

path: Religion_and_Revolution\Assets\Art\interface\buttons\resources\colonization_atlas_resources.dds

But the file is really big - bigger than the single files/buttons.

Does someone know how we can lower the size of this file without loosing its quality?

path: Religion_and_Revolution\Assets\Art\interface\buttons\resources\colonization_atlas_resources.dds

Great. :goodjob:

Did you already take care of the XML-references, or should I do that ?
(Thus you can focus on the graphical part.)

Does someone know how we can lower the size of this file without loosing its quality?

I think Isabelxxx does know these things. :)
Fankman or melcher will probably know as well.

Maybe you could ask one of them ? :thumbsup:

No, I did not take care of the XML-reference.

I focussed on the graphical part. Maybe you could have a look at the XML-reference and give me a feedback if the atlas contains all necessary pictures?

I will also take care for atlasses of the units and professions in the next days.

I will ask one of them what we could do.

Maybe you could have a look at the XML-reference and give me a feedback if the atlas contains all necessary pictures ?

Ok, I will. :thumbsup:

It is probably best, we do worksharing here.
(To have work progress a bit faster.)

You do the graphical part (atlasses).

I do the XML-references and also delete the separate buttons after I have checked the XML-reference ingame.

I will also take care for atlasses of the units and professions in the next days.

I will ask one of them what we could do.

Great. :thumbsup:

Edit:

I will postpone other things like "Improving Native Raids" until we have cleaned up the graphics.

@team and partners:
New revision in SVN.
I have adapted the fix of Willi Tell for the UnitArtStyles of the Great General.

@Willi:
:thumbsup:

By the way, there was no change necessary for Great Warrior,
since the UnitArtStyles of Natives do not use this:

Code:
 <UnitType>NONE</UnitType>

I do the XML-references and also delete the separate buttons after I have checked the XML-reference ingame.

Great! Please tell me, if I forgot a graphic. I will then update the atlas. I may also have implemented different and usefull versions (cocoa, coffee, gold, luxury goods from Europe) of graphics we currently do not use. I intended to do that maybe for a later change.

@Schmiddie:

Could you please remove the parts I have marked in the Screenshot ? :thumbsup:
(It makes the atlas unnecessarily big.)

Attachments

• Atlas_Image.JPG
    Atlas_Image.JPG
    288.4 KB · Views: 81
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom