Octafish

I'm ok with any settings. GMT, usually play first thing in the morning or in the evening after work.

Not keen on tech trading, had experiences of team-play in the past.

I'd like Egypt or Persia if possible

Not having done this in years, how & when do we start?

Will we be notified via PBEM Tracker or via this thread or our regular email?

FYI: my name/handle is same in game as here.

PS: Seems we may have a "warrior" type from that beautiful island nation downunder. Hope i don't start next to the Kiwi Samurai. ;)

Now I updated the first post with player choices for you to confirm,
and the second post with game options for you to debate.

Count, MisterCooper, Kenwyn - please let me know your final choice of leader / tribe.
(and the fact that Gpcii has Persia, does not stop others from having the same)
Also, anyone can change their mind on their leader/tribes up to the last minute.
In the absence of a choice, you will get random.

Game options:

(This is just me summarising so far - this is not meant to stop further discussion and changes )

There has not been much disagreement on this, except for teching, where probably there is a good reason for not allowing it.

I disabled Diplo victory as too arbitrary.
Playing on Monarch with aggressive ai seeems reasonably balanced in some other games. (anyone want to argue for higher difficulty ?)
I put Raging Barbs on as a punt - not bothered either way.

I like Kenwyn's suggestion of big/small / islands mixed etc and there were no others, except fractal.
(When I chose fractal in the past, I always got pangaia, which I'm fed up with - also big / small is a kind of fractal - except you know you're not getting pangaia :) )

I thought advanced start, where we get some cash and can start with a few towns and units. ( Takes the slowness of the first few dozen or so turns )

Ancient start - yes - blundering around in the darkness is part of the fun.

(I don't have any means to generate a map and inspect it in advance for balance - not since civ 3 anyway)

Balanced resources I'm not that fond of, as I hear that means no marble anywhere.

Random events / huts - yes, not real if you can't simulate life elbowing you in those favorite tender places.

Now - play order

Follow the sun is a given, but with 8 players it is pushing it to expect round the world in one day, although then again we have no more than 2 players in each time zone.

What I tried in another game was to split us into 2 sets of four, and instead try round the world twice in two days. This makes it almost impossible to go a complete turn in one day, but makes it more likely to get a complete turn in two days.

Not sure about this - the presence of so many flexible antipodean retirees makes it means perhaps we could go for the aggressive option - but perhaps those of you who have not yet given me your playing hours could do so, and I will think further.

pbemtracker.

A wonderful device that gives me a single web page that shows me all 9 of my current games with - at a glance - who currently has each turn.

At the second turn, after I have edited in all the leader names, you simply go to the game page, and choose 'upload turn' then follow the upload dialogue.

The page will then give you a 'successfully uploaded' message, and two things happen:
- the save is emailed to the next player
- the save is stored with a download link

If the email to the next player goes astray, no matter - because the next player can simply go to the game page, see that he is supposed to have the save, navigate to the 'view turns' link, and then click on the save to download it.
- so , no need to ping the previous player for a resend, and no need for all those 'who has it' posts in the thread.

So the thread can be reserved for banter and ritual abuse.

pbemtracker Drawback
- you get the 'successfully uploaded' message even if it did not. The only way to be sure the save uploaded successfully is to click on the 'view turns' link AFTER you have uploaded it, and try to download the same save you thought you just uploaded.
If you get a download dialogue, you are fine, otherwise you get an html error page, and the site admin need to be informed, but they are usually quite quick.

Of course, no-one bothers to check after the first time, so you may need to be pinged for a resend by the next player when they realise, but this does not happen all that often.

Key point is, if you haven't seen the turn for a day or so, check the game page to see who has it.

I like all of your settings Ozy, except the cylindrical map. I hate being wedged against a side of the map, and it seems a bit unfair, when in reality one could cross the pole, albeit in not quite the same way toroidal offers.

I like all of your settings Ozy, except the cylindrical map. I hate being wedged against a side of the map, and it seems a bit unfair, when in reality one could cross the pole, albeit in not quite the same way toroidal offers.

Mmmm - I thought I had just copied the default settings from somewhere else, but I don't remember there being a 'side' to the map before, so perhaps I have the wrong term.

In the maps I played, you can go round the world several times by continuing east or west, but you can't go above the top or under the bottom of the map. That sounds like a cylinder ?

By side - do you mean wedged against the top, or bottom, of the map ?

edit - just been researching this
flat map - you cannot cross any edge
cylindrical - you can cross east/west but not north/south
toroidal - you can cross edge of map anywhere

As for "balance", it's been my experience that good resources are balanced by dud huts & lack of food.

As for Civ, undecided since i don't know who has picked what. Is there a thread or email or...?

As a fallback i'll do Mali.

hanks for all your hard work in getting this off. :goodjob:

KenWyn

Mmmm - I thought I had just copied the default settings from somewhere else, but I don't remember there being a 'side' to the map before, so perhaps I have the wrong term.

In the maps I played, you can go round the world several times by continuing east or west, but you can't go above the top or under the bottom of the map. That sounds like a cylinder ?

By side - do you mean wedged against the top, or bottom, of the map ?

edit - just been researching this
flat map - you cannot cross any edge
cylindrical - you can cross east/west but not north/south
toroidal - you can cross edge of map anywhere

Yes exactly. Wedgies are bad. Toroids avoid this.

As for Civ, undecided since i don't know who has picked what. Is there a thread or email or...?

Yes,
the first post in the thread are the current players and choices, http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12215335&postcount=1
the second post in the thread are latest games options for discussion http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12215337&postcount=2

Both are subject to change if people/consensus agrees

OK, let's look at two things:

What do people think about:
Monarch vs Emperor level ?
Raging Barbs on ?

Raging Barbs is good for experience building after a time.
Monarch would be my preference.

Also Islands would be good.

Monarch + raging AI = good for me. :)

What size map? Seems by # of AI civ's you're setting up for "huge"?
Never played on Huge. Is that a bit big since several us are newbies to Civ4 PBEM.
Would it be faster & easier to control if we went with "Large" world?
Also re map... what was conclusion of "cylinder vs .... vs..." discussion?
I didn't even know there was altern's to "cylinder"(total east-west travel but no travel over the polar area). :confused:

Thanks again for all your effort on our collective behalves. :king:

Just noticed "Snaky Continents" ; can we have "Normal Continents". Snaky begets some weird & un-fun to manage layouts. Normal allows for some "pangaia-like" areas that provides a nice mix.

What say theee?

Monarch + raging AI = good for me. :)

What size map? Seems by # of AI civ's you're setting up for "huge"?
Never played on Huge. Is that a bit big since several us are newbies to Civ4 PBEM.
Would it be faster & easier to control if we went with "Large" world?
Also re map... what was conclusion of "cylinder vs .... vs..." discussion?
I didn't even know there was altern's to "cylinder"(total east-west travel but no travel over the polar area). :confused:

Thanks again for all your effort on our collective behalves. :king:

I took Rickeyclik's point and changed the current option to toroidal - on the grounds it seems a bit arbitrary to only allow E/W movement, and flat maps seem to hem in those at the edges - although those in the centre might get ganged up on from all sides.

Yes, I put huge in the options. If we have ai, then you want at least 1 ai tribe for each of us to conquer, so that takes us to 16 anyway. If we are having advanced start - where each of us can buy 2 or 3 towns from the off - then you immediately run out of room - a bit claustrophobic - with large. Huge basically gives everyone some time for building, before deciding how to approach the lebensraum issue.

Chi has been running since June 2011 with similar settings and number of players.
It is now up to 1730ad, 250+ moves at slightly over one complete turn every two days (ignoring holidays). There are now 6 humans left, and a similar number of ai.
The 'newby' thing might be self-correcting, inasmuch as you do not get that much territory to have to control unless you remain in the game - and if you remain in the game you will no longer be a newby.

I guess one option if you are concerned about that would be to join another, smaller, faster game just for a few newcomers. As that would move more quickly, you could gain experience there, in time to be able to use it in this one. I can set up another smaller one for some of you, if you wish to kick off at the same time.

I still consider myself as a newbie, but I like the challenge.

I have played a total of 3 pbems (2 of which are still running). The first one I was about to be destroyed when all of the sudden the game just died. In the second one (chi) I made some very early mistakes and therefore I am low on the roster, but not last. The third, (Angular Momentum) is too early to tell.

I always have trouble managing my gold/science. I have never beat civ on anything higher than noble :blush: But I have fun. :hammer2:

Sounds convincing to me... Huge world here we come.:goodjob:

Switch me to Maya rather than Mali please.

Let's rock & roll! This oughta be fun. :D

Top Bottom