Brave New World's 9 new Civs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like that works fine for Rome and Italy as well. Except in this case it's the same population, in the same place, but under two different political entities. Rome was orginally a republic, and modern Italy was originally a monarchy. I wouldn't be opposed to an italian civ, but I think Rome covers it.

Italians and Romans aren't exactly the same people though. Modern Italians are descendants of the intermixing of the original Roman population of Italy and the Germanic peoples(Goth, Lombards etc) that settled there after the 5th century A.D.
They're more like half-Romans, but living in the same place. :dunno:

Italians and Romans aren't exactly the same people though. Modern Italians are descendants of the intermixing of the original Roman population of Italy and the Germanic peoples(Goth, Lombards etc) that settled there after the 5th century A.D.
They're more like half-Romans, but living in the same place. :dunno:

'Roman' was a social distinction that designated citizenship rather than ethnicity by the end of the empire. There was no homogeneous Roman identity due to the original Latin ethnicity being overwhelmed by Rome's incorporation of foreign populations en masse during the Republic. The Italians are no more Roman than the Greeks, French, Spanish, et cetera.

I'm calling it:

6. Morocco
7. Indonesia
8. The Sioux
9. Italy

Morocco will soon be confirmed, since the cat has been let out of the bag.

Indonesia are very likely. I can't believe they would overlook a nation with a history of naval trade and tourism in this expansion, especially given how underrepresented South East Asia is in CiV. Even if they are not given a focus on expansion mechanics, they're a good candidate for the last remaining 'fan favourite' slot.

We're all pretty certain that we will get another Native American Civ. The Sioux are the most well-known (and therefore most likely) possibility, but we can't rule out others such as the Navajo or Comanche.

I think Italy will be revealed last. Out of the above options, it's the one that I'm least sure about (the other probable options for this slot are, in decreasing order of likelihood, Venice, Hungary and Vietnam). ETA that I don't rate Belgium's chances at all, although I do think that if we don't get Italy, it'll be another European Civ.

if you add Italy you might as well add Mali, Great Britain, Holy Roman Empire, Kievan Rus, Franks, Castille and Eragon, Thailand, Manchus, Prussia, Lithuania, Mexico, Peru, Mughals, Belgium, Hungary, etc.

Morocco
Sioux
Vietnam
Indonesia

count on it.

I don't see Indonesia and Vietnam both being added.

I'm not a particularly strong supporter of Italy, or indeed any other European Civ being added beyond Portugal and Poland, but frankly I would be surprised not to see one more, and Italy seem quite plausible right now.

I think Italy will be revealed last. Out of the above options, it's the one that I'm least sure about (the other probable options for this slot are, in decreasing order of likelihood, Venice, Hungary and Vietnam). ETA that I don't rate Belgium's chances at all, although I do think that if we don't get Italy, it'll be another European Civ.

I would be extremely perplexed to see Venice as part of Hungary.

What i love to see in new civilisations is something new brought to the table, a new feel to the civ. An easy way to do this is to add more cultures from around the globe, and i love it. If they add Italy or Venice then i really hope they make it a really unique civ, something different enough in flavour to make me want to play it.

I'd still rather see a fair few civs before it, but i have no problem with it if they can make it feel different from the vast hordes of Europeans we have already.

I don't think you read that right.

With Venice having been replaced, it means someone is getting Venice in their city list. As such, if Hungary was in rather than Italy or Venice, then it would mean it would most likely be Hungary with Venice in it's city list, which again, would be rather confusing.

I feel like that works fine for Rome and Italy as well. Except in this case it's the same population, in the same place, but under two different political entities. Rome was orginally a republic, and modern Italy was originally a monarchy. I wouldn't be opposed to an italian civ, but I think Rome covers it.

It's not the same. I won't exhume this discussion again, but let's just say that the danes and the normans were exactly the same people, in the same time frame, with possibly the same traditions and culture. In game they would be represented almost in the same way.

Sorry, right now I have no time to elaborate more :(

Can you give the source for that?

Various threads analysing the city states. The most recent was this one.

Long story short though, no city state has ever taken a known colour-type combination without it being a replacement for a city state that has been removed, and Riga has Venice's colour-type combination.

Now we're down to the pointy end I think the last ones will be

1) Morocco (or the Moors or Berbers however they like to phrase it) pretty much already confirmed
2) Native American Civ (most likely Sioux, but also Cherokee, Mississippians or one of the other worthy contenders
3) South East Asian Civ (my guys says Indonesia or some variant but Vietnam or Khmer could also go here)
4) Complete Unknown (I think possibly another African Civ or another SEA civ, maybe even another ancient middle east civ, or something completely out of the left field like Australia, Italy et al)

Now we're down to the pointy end I think the last ones will be

1) Morocco (or the Moors or Berbers however they like to phrase it) pretty much already confirmed
2) Native American Civ (most likely Sioux, but also Cherokee, Mississippians or one of the other worthy contenders
3) South East Asian Civ (my guys says Indonesia or some variant but Vietnam or Khmer could also go here)
4) Complete Unknown (I think possibly another African Civ or another SEA civ, maybe even another ancient middle east civ, or something completely out of the left field like Australia, Italy et al)

Italy or Venice are at pretty short odds with Venice being removed as a city state, hardly left of field now.

until something is confirmed from Firaxis, I don't feel we can confirm that Venice has been removed, we can assume, we can use past evidence to make an educated guess, but that is not any where near confirmed, but that being said it is not outside the realm of possibility hence my inclusion

Venice has been replaced, so it's going on someone's city list. If not Italy's, then...

Ah yes. Of course.

Look, I don't think it's a bad theory, and as you have so convincingly demonstrated elsewhere, there is nothing to dispute that it's true so far. I even think you're right - hence why I put Italy on what I think will be my final speculative list. But the removal of Venice as a CS won't be confirmed for me until I see that Italy or Venice are in as Civs.

All I am saying is if - IF - Venice hasn't been replaced, but has simply been, say, changed from Maritime to Mercantile - which is something that we have no precedent for, but there is nothing to suggest that it simply cannot happen - then my tip for the ninth Civ would be Hungary or Vietnam. I'm talking about a pretty slim chance here. I'm pretty confident that Italy or Venice will be in. But as bite says, it's not close to being confirmed.

At this stage, the only thing that definitively rules out the presence of any Civ is one of its major (or capital) cities turning up as a City-State (or, in the case of Lithuania, in someone else's city list). Everything else is speculation. It might be very good, well-grounded speculation, but it's speculation nonetheless.

Ah yes. Of course.

Look, I don't think it's a bad theory, and as you have so convincingly demonstrated elsewhere, there is nothing to dispute that it's true so far. I even think you're right - hence why I put Italy on what I think will be my final speculative list. But the removal of Venice as a CS won't be confirmed for me until I see that Italy or Venice are in as Civs.

All I am saying is if - IF - Venice hasn't been replaced, but has simply been, say, changed from Maritime to Mercantile - which is something that we have no precedent for, but there is nothing to suggest that it simply cannot happen - then my tip for the ninth Civ would be Hungary or Vietnam. I'm talking about a pretty slim chance here. I'm pretty confident that Italy or Venice will be in. But as bite says, it's not close to being confirmed.

At this stage, the only thing that definitively rules out the presence of any Civ is one of its major (or capital) cities turning up as a City-State (or, in the case of Lithuania, in someone else's city list). Everything else is speculation. It might be very good, well-grounded speculation, but it's speculation nonetheless.

May I repeat this:

In all cases where a city state has taken a known colour-type combination, it has been a replacement.

Even if Venice had been changed from maritime to mercantile, that says nothing about why Riga has it's Gods & Kings colour-type combination. We have seen city states have their colour-type combination changed before, but their colour-type combination was not given to another city state and the only cases where this was done was to add numbers to the two new types of city states (or to replace removed city states, ie Lhasa and Budapest replacing Vienna and Edinburgh).

As things stand, in all cases having a city state show up with a used colour-type combination has meant a replacement. Who knows, maybe they've just done something completely bizarre. There is absolutely no reason to speculate on this basis though, and basing what we know on their previous confirmable behaviour is far more solid than any other type of speculation. Considering that Venice not being replaced with be something entirely new and unprecedented (and statistically would be bizarre), at this point point it is important to remember what we know in this case, as the chances of Venice not being removed should be seen as very slim.

At the end of the day though, it is something that we have observed without exception, and as you correction reference, if there were to be a hierarchy of sources for what is in and out it should be ordered something like:

1. Announced information
2. City States with names ruling out civs
3. City State colour-type observations
4. Off hand comments by the developers
5. Everything else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom