Olympics in Brave New World

Because there's no inflation in civ, 2 gold in the twenty first century has the same value as in 4000bc... :rolleyes: :mischief:

Well there is some sort if had oc inflation, 100 gold is way more precious on turn 30 than on turn 300... And army maintenance increase with time too., as long with buildings maintenance.

I really don't miss the cIV inflation. Visiting the economy screen was sure to put me in a bad mood back then.

I suspect the World Games will be a rather inactive aspect of the World Congress. You will vote for the host city, which will receive a gold & tourism bonus for a duration, then you will choose whether to attend or boycott. All attendees will receive a positive diplomatic modifier with each other. The boycotters will receive a negative diplo modifier with the host civ. I doubt you will find out who wins, because it is irrelevent.

Does the host city always get diplomatic and happiness bonuses IRL, though? After all, at Germany '36 He-Is-The-Leader-Eternally-Restricted walked out of the stadium in impotent fury when the black athletes humiliated his supposed Aryan elite. That was good for neither their diplomatic standing nor their national happiness.

I disagree, the host country always gets some sort of benefit. What you mention is just one very small part of a much bigger picture. Germany surrendered (not really defeated, they still had a lot of fight left in them and could have bargained for much better peace terms) in WWI and was humiliated. The fact that Germany had the Olympics in 36 was a source of pride. Germany felt like they regained some of their national prestige. Germany also got a chance to show off their capitol to the world, and all the new architecture and infrastructure and everything that was built for the Olympics. The closest thing to the 36 Olympics was probably the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, where China used it as a chance to show off to the world, and show that they are a modern powerful country.

To answer this thread, I can say that Olympics is being switched by WORLD GAMES but is actually really similar :D

Calling it the Olymics in a context like this (far removed from actual coverage) should be fair-use, but since it is not, I'm glad they're not spending a dime on getting the name.

Because there's no inflation in civ, 2 gold in the twenty first century has the same value as in 4000bc... :rolleyes: :mischief:

Things do cost more gold though, and city-states give less influence, and military maintenance increases, so there's that. But yeah, an economic simulator, it ain't.

It would have been great if there were an international football championship (but don't call it the World Cup; FIFA would be upset) along with the World Games.

Brazil will host the FIFA World Cup in 2014 and the Summer Olympics two years after that.

I suspect the World Games will be a rather inactive aspect of the World Congress. You will vote for the host city, which will receive a gold & tourism bonus for a duration, then you will choose whether to attend or boycott. All attendees will receive a positive diplomatic modifier with each other. The boycotters will receive a negative diplo modifier with the host civ. I doubt you will find out who wins, because it is irrelevent.

It's a project just like the International Space Station. However contributes the most hammers becomes the host and gets a large bonus, and civs that contribute more than a certain amount of hammers get a smaller bonus.

Specifically: Gold Medal) Tourism doubled for 20 turns, Free Social Policy; Silver Medal) +3 Happiness, +30 influence with city states; Bronze Medal) +3 happiness (Medals stack, and the contribution levels for Silver and Bronze are 1/n and 1/2n of the total cost of the project, with n probably equal to the number of civs left in the game.).

World Congress Resolution #17, determining the host of the Global Chalice football championship.

Host: Win awesome stuff
Winner: Win awesome stuff
Finalist (as in making it past the qualification rounds): Win some good stuff
Qualification Round (as in not making it to the Finals): Win some mediocre stuff

Qualification Round (as in not making it to the Finals): Win some mediocre stuff

Winner: 100+ culture per turn.

Brazil finishes every game in 1880.

Won the Championship: You won, other nations loose 60 influence with citystates since your teams' bribes prevented them from going against citystates, shifting blame away from your team onto everyone else.
Inspired Riots: Cause resistance in all lower-scoring civs due to lack of success for a number of turns that scales with ranking (lowest scorer deals with its ranking squared number of turns).
Bribed Referees: Due to some successful games, your team has sponsorships lined-up. Get bonus gold for 45 turns that scales with how much production you put in.

I don't like the way the World Games will be implemented... Contributing hammers with an emphasis on hosting the game, please :( Shame...

This sounds exactly like the Olympics.

?? How does this sound exactly like the Olympics/World Games?? I fail to equate production with the essence and spirit of such games! It is bigger than any civilization that may or may not host it.

?? How does this sound exactly like the Olympics/World Games?? I fail to equate production with the essence and spirit of such games! It is bigger than any civilization that may or may not host it.

It's a competition to determine which country will lavish the most money on the IOC and offer the most expensive facilities. Then four years later the facilities stand empty and useless and another one is constructed in a different major city.

Firaxis has captured the spirit of it almost perfectly.

On the World Games producing happiness to host nations even with Berlin Games situation.

There's actually a new ideology in BNW that's going to cause much more happiness that in real life within the US has caused a significant amount of unhappiness.

And there's also from Civ IV the world wonders of Hollywood & Rock and Roll that in game generated happiness (via additional luxaries); but in real life they have both caused unhappiness.

On lack of inflation: That's because is Civ V (and all previous versions), none of the civs ever leave the "gold standard". Precious metals based economies actually have a bias towards deflation. (Same amount of gold spread among more people as population grows, with some bursts of inflation whenever a new source of gold is found.) It's only credit based economies that have a bias towards inflation.

On the games themselves, it appears to be a decent project now that it's clarified that when you get the gold medal you also get the silver & bronze. There were some other projects in which the silver prize looked better than gold.

the game is only represented the significance of the world games as it applies to the relative power between competing civilizations.

the game doesn't represent other aspects of the of the olympics mechanically (with costs and benefits in game rules terms), say the personal effect on those competing or the joy of the general population as spectators, because they don't effect the balance of power.

I wonder if there can be multiple world games or only one for each game. World games and World Fair would make sense to repeat, and they could be useful for the late game struggle for cultural power.

Top Bottom