Olympics in Brave New World

It's a competition to determine which country will lavish the most money on the IOC and offer the most expensive facilities. Then four years later the facilities stand empty and useless and another one is constructed in a different major city.

Firaxis has captured the spirit of it almost perfectly.

I live down the road from our main Olympic venues and use them every couple of weeks min, Our Stadiums and facilities are in constant use (we qualified for the World cup last night at the ex Olympic Stadium) I have friends who live in places that used to house the German Rowing squad, a few months ago they held the junior games events and I went along to lots for nothing. Basically I get a benefit from those games every week of my life. Your cynical post shows a massive lack of understanding of the benefits from the games if they are well run and the venues well designed.

Because of the Olympics in UK, the UK actually made a profit in their economy (sorry, I know there's a better term) but they actually got out of the recession, probably because of all the money coming in from tourism. (real.. tourism, btw, is Tourism in this project or the other World Projects?)

Because of the Olympics in UK, the UK actually made a profit in their economy (sorry, I know there's a better term) but they actually got out of the recession, probably because of all the money coming in from tourism. (real.. tourism, btw, is Tourism in this project or the other World Projects?)

I think it turns out that the UK is still in recession, but I'm not sure how much better the Olympics made it. Good idea to include it though. Also, I think that the term that you are looking for is "economic growth", although that may be a bit optimistic. :(

I think it turns out that the UK is still in recession, but I'm not sure how much better the Olympics made it. Good idea to include it though. Also, I think that the term that you are looking for is "economic growth", although that may be a bit optimistic. :(

I remember in early September/October they MADE an economic growth, but it's only the economy, today I made 188, tomorrow I'll make 150. just the way it is, the point is the Olympics I believe were used as the reason for the growth (and now that they are over obviously the money is gonna go poof).

No doubt the Olympics create some economic revival. They are a major source of employment while increasing the demand for souvenirs, transportation, lodgings, food. The people employed for the games receive money to spend on local businesses etc.

Too bad(*) it's only temporary though. Once the games are over many people have to find jobs somewhere else again, and the boon wanes.

(* actually good because having a perpetual Olympics style spending spree would be very, very wasteful)

Which... actually I forgot my initial point, but I did check and the World's Games provide a double Tourism output for few turns if you are the major contributor, which would suggest being the Host of the games.

I wonder if there can be multiple world games or only one for each game. World games and World Fair would make sense to repeat, and they could be useful for the late game struggle for cultural power.

Second. At least make each available once per era.

Also, I agree production should be the primary measure of contribution, but you should also be able to contribute gold. So say you set 3 cities to add hammers and 50GPT. Because honestly, money does buy everything :D

Top Bottom