What to do with a captured Great Prophet?

Fanny Brice

Prince
I'm new to G&K so I'm a bit lost with religion in general.

I captured a Great Prophet wandering through a combat zone.

I believe I did this in my last game... it might have just been a missionary last game. And I was shocked when I went to use him he spread the religion of my enemy! Did not expect that.

So, this great prophet is identified as being from another religion when the mouse is hovered over him. I assume if I use him to spread the faith he will spread the faith of my enemy. What happens if I use him to make a shrine? Is that also going spread an opposing religion? Or will that simply be faith that I get out of it?

Any basic tips on religion would be appreciated.

thanks

He will spread the religion of the enemy. Missionaries, prophets, and inquisitors will follow the majority religion of the city they are built in. For this reason, if someone prophet-bombs your Holy City, don't buy an inquisitor and then use him on your city. Use one from another city following your religion.

Making a Holy Site works no matter what religion he belongs to, but if he's used at least one of his Spread Religion uses, then you can't do that. If you are Sweden, you can gift him to a city-state. Otherwise, delete him.

Check out what benefits you could reap from the religion the prophet belongs. Imagine capturing a Byzantium prophet that has loads of religious buildings you could build in your cities!! Or perhaps you could benefit in other ways... say for instance you need some extra units quick and the prophet would allow you purchase these with your faith. You could always convert the city back

He will spread the religion of the enemy. Missionaries, prophets, and inquisitors will follow the majority religion of the city they are built in. For this reason, if someone prophet-bombs your Holy City, don't buy an inquisitor and then use him on your city. Use one from another city following your religion.

Making a Holy Site works no matter what religion he belongs to, but if he's used at least one of his Spread Religion uses, then you can't do that. If you are Sweden, you can gift him to a city-state. Otherwise, delete him.

But I believe that holy cities, even if converted to another religion, will still produce prophets, and only prophets, of the original religion.

Check out what benefits you could reap from the religion the prophet belongs. Imagine capturing a Byzantium prophet that has loads of religious buildings you could build in your cities!! Or perhaps you could benefit in other ways... say for instance you need some extra units quick and the prophet would allow you purchase these with your faith. You could always convert the city back

This can make sense, depending on what beliefs the other religion has (particularly if you do not have and do not plan to have your own religion). Go to Religion Overview (click the faith icon at the top of the screen) and then the Beliefs tab (sort by religion) to see what beliefs he has taken.

But I believe that holy cities, even if converted to another religion, will still produce prophets, and only prophets, of the original religion.

Correct.

Think about this , if there is a dominant third party religion use that GP to take down one of his cities preferbaly the holy city . Then continue your quest for reliogous purity lol

Whenever I see an enemy great prophet I have :c5gold: in my eyes...:rolleyes:

Just delete it. If you're next to a Civ that tries to make sure you're following their religion when you have your own you can place Inquisitors in your cities and they can't spread the religion with a missionary or prophet, and can now only spread naturally.

Take him into your rivals' territory and use him as limited-sight scout who doesn't require open borders

In my current game Russia was obsessed with converting my capital. I blocked the first Great Prophet for a while but when the second arrive it was time to DoW. I checked the World Religions screen and their religion only had one city majority. I captured the Prophets and could build two Holy Sites in the same turn. :lol:

just delete them. I've never captured GP with 4 spreads, if I capture a GP with full spread points, I'll build holy site.

I just DOW then use the GP for target practice!

If he used a spread and you ain t sweeden ,just dismiss it.
BTW, I usually keep a roaming inquisitor when Ihave a GP spammer neighbour. Remember that a GP can t affect a city where an inquisitor is sitting.

Depending on few things

1. If it has 4 spreads, then it hasn't been used, meaning you can plop him down for a free Holy Site (if you want)

2. If it has 3 or less spreads, then it has been used and can no longer plop a shrine, then he's more or less usless, unless two things

2.1 - If you're Gustavus, use gift it for a free 90 influence points and an alliance status (most likely)
2.2 - If spreading THEIR religion into SOMEBODY's elses territory does not cause YOU to recieve the negative modifier, use it to weaken 3rd prtie's PRessure.

Making a Holy Site works no matter what religion he belongs to, but if he's used at least one of his Spread Religion uses, then you can't do that. If you are Sweden, you can gift him to a city-state.

This is generally the correct advice. If you can't use him for a Holy Site, you can use him to explore areas and spy on Civs that hate you, since Great Prophets don't need Open Borders, and don't die in foreign territory like missionaries.

Send him to convert the capitol & major cities of another civ. One that is far away, and has a stable religion that is not in local competition with the religion of the prophet. Frequently they will reconvert the city(s) with their own prophets/ inquisitors/ missionarys. This will cost them faith that could have been spend doing something useful.
(Check the prophets beliefs first though, don't give the enemy anything that would actually be useful.)

2.2 - If spreading THEIR religion into SOMEBODY's elses territory does not cause YOU to recieve the negative modifier, use it to weaken 3rd prtie's PRessure.

Unfortunately you do receive the negative diplo modifier in those circumstances.

Holy site if you can. If not, use him to bomb other religion's holy cities or use it to mess with the influence of other religions. Make those civs have to use more faith to turn their cities back to their religion. Be careful not to piss off friendly civs though...

Top Bottom