The World Fair, ATM, is simply incredible.

Baron2

Warlord
I have been playing with CiV games since CiV 2.

I have seen countless must-have wonders. I usually devise my whole game into securing them.

Well, I never seen something as glorious and powerful as the World Fair.

On a game with England, the world fair granted me the equivalent of THREE bonus policies.

Ya, that culture bonus is intense. You just got to hope you win it (last time I did it I won by less than 100 production).

This is one instance where Venice is at a disadvantage because of its limit to only one city with a relatively low production coastal bias. Simply put, production from a single city cannot compete with an AI setting all of its cities to focus production with the aim of getting first place. The gold-focused CS puppets rarely focus production on the World Fair or International Games in my last playthrough. Venice definitely has the production for second and third place awards, but first place seems to be a bridge too far for them production-wise.

You're not the first to mention this. I guess World Fair could be a subject for an early balance patch.

All 3 projects actually are absolutely ridiculous.

World Fair for the reasons mentioned here.

International Games for the fact that 100% bonus Tourism for 20 turns is a huge, huge boost for the new cultural victory.

ISS for the reason that scientists giving production and engineers giving science is amazing in-and-of-itself regardless of going for a science victory.

This is one instance where Venice is at a disadvantage because of its limit to only one city with a relatively low production coastal bias. Simply put, production from a single city cannot compete with an AI setting all of its cities to focus production with the aim of getting first place. The gold-focused CS puppets rarely focus production on the World Fair or International Games in my last playthrough. Venice definitely has the production for second and third place awards, but first place seems to be a bridge too far for them production-wise.

i guess they should put their superior financial resources and delegates in action to repeal proposals for international projects then. if you cant win, why should others get the bonus?

In my experience, my puppets prioritized world's fair until I got silver awards, and some puppets chose to continue after silver award mark.
I didn't expected this and just ignored the project on Venice, but later I assigned Venice to world's fair, ended up in 2nd place with small margin.

In previous discussions about other late game wonders it was stated, that those wonders should have a big impact, as there is not much time left for them to be worth the investment.

The 'world congress projects' come pretty late in the game. And, in addition to that, you have to concentrate the production of ALL of your cities to them to gain a price, not only the usual one city you build a "conventional" world wonder in.

As an European, I can obviously not speak out of personal experience, so the wonders might very well be too powerful. But then, I think they should be very strong!

All 3 projects actually are absolutely ridiculous.

International Games for the fact that 100% bonus Tourism for 20 turns is a huge, huge boost for the new cultural victory.

No joke. I was aiming for a science victory as the Shoshone last night, had a decent (275) amount of tourism, but was influential over only 1 civ, and popular with just 2 more (6 remaining opposing civs). Won the Games bonuses, 20 turns of 550+ tourism (modified to OVER 800 tourism on most of my opponents) got me to influential over all but one remaining civ, dominant over two civs, and under a thousand tourism away from influential over that last civ.

3 turns later, won the culture victory - with no Visitors Center or Internet. I was still about 20-25 turns away from a science victory.

Also if you can time it right and spawn some Great Musicians during that period, they come double-strength. I pulled it off accidentally last night. I wasn't actually focused on a culture win so I didn't have full Aesthetics, but saving up faith to rush-buy a huge pile of double Musicians could be absolutely crushing.

Is there anyway to gauge how well you are doing in the race? I just received a message that the project is 45% complete, but I don't know how I'm doing. I've devoted all of the production of one city (approximately 25 hammers a turn) plus 1 trade rout to that city (5 hammers) to the effort. I want to win, but not at the expense of the rest of my game.

Yeah, it's OP. My tourism went up to 500.

In my experience, the puppeted cities did indeed prioritize on World Fair, and it was awesome to have all those bonuses. I didn't even need Venice (which wasn't building much anyway, trust me the ability to buy buildings and having the money to do so is worth it)

I trumped them pretty well.

Spoiler :

Puppets prioritize world projects. I won first place in all of them and I only used Venice to nudge our place to the first place while the puppets did most of the work.

I personally think the culture ones are more powerful as they come a lot earlier, you have to wait until the late game to propose that resolution and it's essentially converting production to tourism. It's not free.

I think it makes sense. Late wonders have to be like that. The way Civ was, the game was settled by the Renaissance - it was a game of accumulated/exponential gains.

Is there anyway to gauge how well you are doing in the race? I just received a message that the project is 45% complete, but I don't know how I'm doing. I've devoted all of the production of one city (approximately 25 hammers a turn) plus 1 trade rout to that city (5 hammers) to the effort. I want to win, but not at the expense of the rest of my game.
Go into a city, go to change production, and hover over the project - it should tell you the % total completion and your own total hammers contributed. You won't be told what each other civ has done until it's complete.

I'm going for the Worlds Fair and have brought my spend from zero (at 19% complete) to 647 (at 59% complete). I don't want to overspend on the World's Fair -- how do I assess how well I'm doing vis a vis everyone else?

WF is 350 times # of civilizations = total hammers required to complete project. I usually win with a 30% of the total.

So with 10 civs 3500 is the total needed, and I win with 1100. No way to know if you are in the lead until it completes that I know of

Thanks -- the 350 figure helps a lot. I can at least guesstimate whether I need to throw another city at the task or not.

Top Bottom