BNW: is it still possible to win the science victory?

jimbbq

Chieftain
here is the thing, to win the science victory, you have to pretty much research every single thing...but once you have entered the information age, the freaking united nation will elect a world leader, and before you know it, you have won the diplomatic victory!!!

how can I stop the UN??? :cry:

[edit: btw, I absolutely love BNW!!]

...that said, I agree dip victory is way to easy (broken) atm. I hope they fix it too.

if you don't vote for yourself, wouldn't another Civ (with the most votes) win the diplomatic victory?

Not as long as you control lots of votes.

In order to win, you need some number (say 40 for the sake of argument) votes. If you control 50, and don't vote, there is nowhere near enough votes left for anyone else to get 40.

You can't. I got a science victory on emperor, would have been a diplo victory in a few more turns but I felt good that I launched BEFORE the WC vote. To be honest, the only reason I did it is because it's more satisfying to see the rocket blast off than to click a bunch of delegates. I hope in the patch they require more in the "diplo" victory than achieving economic domination of city states. I, too, agree that there should be a prohibition on voting for one's own civ, and perhaps not have the city states vote at all. That way only the truly best diplo player will win. As another post stated, you can be a terrible diplomat and just buy city states and get the diplomatic victory. The thing is when you're TRYING for the diplo victory, obviously the world leader vote can't come soon enough. I think going back to the previous version, make someone build a wonder instead of it automatically being triggered, would improve it. I have to say, the graphics for the victory screen have GOT to improve. The wonder videos are nice. Shouldn't it look "cooler" to win the game than to complete a wonder?

You can't. I got a science victory on emperor, would have been a diplo victory in a few more turns but I felt good that I launched BEFORE the WC vote. To be honest, the only reason I did it is because it's more satisfying to see the rocket blast off than to click a bunch of delegates. I hope in the patch they require more in the "diplo" victory than achieving economic domination of city states. I, too, agree that there should be a prohibition on voting for one's own civ, and perhaps not have the city states vote at all. That way only the truly best diplo player will win. As another post stated, you can be a terrible diplomat and just buy city states and get the diplomatic victory. The thing is when you're TRYING for the diplo victory, obviously the world leader vote can't come soon enough. I think going back to the previous version, make someone build a wonder instead of it automatically being triggered, would improve it. I have to say, the graphics for the victory screen have GOT to improve. The wonder videos are nice. Shouldn't it look "cooler" to win the game than to complete a wonder?

no idea how you managed this (at emperor level!!!!) but i agreed with you 100% . I love cultural victory now, but diplomatic victory is LAME!

Not just is it possible, it's what I've found myself falling back on when i moved up to Immortal. You need to tech, and tech hard, I'll build the guilds next turn, can't spare the two citizens... next turn... next turn... oh wait, it's the Modern Era already.

Also, if you don't get a coastal start so are stuck with caravans all game, diplomatic is out of the window IMO.

It's definitely possible, although I agree that the method of winning Diplo is a bit messed up. Nevertheless, provided there isn't an uber-runaway with the CS's, you shouldn't have a problem winning Science (heck, even Culture is possible on Emperor/Immortal, though not nearly as much so on Deity).

The only way I can win a science victory is if cultural and diplomatic victories are disabled.

It's still possible, but you have to work and strategize to win a conquest and science victory much more than you do a diplomatic victory, which can occur on accident simply from playing a good game in the modern era.

The culture victory is a coin flip, sometimes people say it's too easy or too hard, but it really depends on what other civs are in the game and how much culture they've produced during the game. It can be extremely easy in some games, or it can be extremely difficult in some games if a civ or two has turtled and produced culture all game.

Save your GScientists, and you don't even have to wait for the WC for diplomacy. At least, that was what happened in the two times I went for science with Spain.

They should really change Great Scientists to behave the same as Great Musicians in terms of tourism bombing.

I agree the diplo victory is dumb. I am often tempted to disable it myself but never do.

With Freedom you can buy spaceship parts with gold. But then you may as well win a diplo if yo are going to gold focus. The Devs messed this up in a serious way. I hope they change it in a patch eventually.

banking a lot of GS till the end game to fly through the techs is pretty key to winning before the diplo vote, IMO. There shouldn't be much time at all between entering info era and launching.

banking a lot of GS till the end game to fly through the techs is pretty key to winning before the diplo vote, IMO. There shouldn't be much time at all between entering info era and launching.

It's a shame because it's kind of cheesy.

"This 2,000 year old man is going to help us develop SS boosters..."

"Good thing they invented cryogenesis around the same time as Bronze Working..."

It would be interesting if the impact of the GP is less the longer you wait.

Obviously could be game-breaking, but it sort of makes logical sense.

LOL or everyone is cyborgs, since you still talk to the same person 4k years later :lol:

How about that spearman that was given a horse when he was 2600 years-old, then was back on its feet behind an anti-tank gun, then learned to ride an helicopter.

Top Bottom