Tech Tree Discussion

Removed, I'll put it in my modmod later.

Software (x76, y11)
Requires : 3D Modeling and Computer Networks

Required for: Fiber Optics , Communication Networks.
What did you mean by that? Software exists almost from the beginnings of computers and certainly do not need any of 3D Modeling and Computer Networks. Maybe a little better would be Software Engineering, but still it does not essentially need any of those.

What did you mean by that? Software exists almost from the beginnings of computers and certainly do not need any of 3D Modeling and Computer Networks. Maybe a little better would be Software Engineering, but still it does not essentially need any of those.

I don't think we need to add it anymore. How do you feel about the other ideas.

It can be argued that software predates computing as "punched cards" made of wood and linked with rope were used to control weaving and carpet making looms. When you wanted a different pattern you replaced the "card deck". Same goes for music making devices.

@Dancing Hoskuld, you are going too far. I believe, that some Turing's works are generally acknowledged as a beginning of the software. And I can one hundred percent ensure you, there is no need of 3D or computer networks to develop a high level computer application.

@Dancing Hoskuld, you are going too far. <snip>

And after all that ginger cookie love too! :mischief: :lol:

(yeah, it's spam. But today I don't care if it is, it struck me as being funny)

JosEPh ;)

I am thinking of moving Jovian Exploration from x88 to x93 because it is right next to Asteroid Probes (x87). I don't know what tech Jovian Exploration originally was, but it is way to early, in its current place.

Also I want the Tech Jovian Exploration to have access to Fusion, Cloning, Megacoporations, Mass Driver, Droids, Holographics, Solar Propulsion, Media Hivemind, and Gene Jurisprudence buildings and technology influences.

The only building is Holographic Solar System, but Holographics is at x91 (or 4 places away, which is an error.)

Jovian Exploration
Requires: Lunar Manufacturing AND Megacorporations AND Mass Driver AND Fusion

Required For: Orbital Flight, Antigrav.

I will move it to x93, Y5.

Path
Planetary Exploration x81
Asteroid Probes x87
Jovian Exploration x93
Oort Cloud Probes is at x100.

Thoughts?

There are three major ideas which we don't have in our tech tree which I think we should have. They are

- specilisation - the idea that you do what you are good at and trade with others for those things you are not good at. Many of the early huts eg sage's hut should require this. It is a development on the Cooperation tech we already have and both should improve worker speed.

- standardisation - the idea that a bushel of wheat always weighs the same.

- cadence - the working together as a unit rather than as individuals eg phalanx and legion. With out this drill you just have a bunch spear men and swords men running around the battle field.

@MrAzure

Based on your ideas I am requesting you add the following techs.

Highway Systems
Req Tech: Applied Economics AND Logistics
Cost: Same As Globalization

Franchises
Req Tech: Globalization AND Highway Systems
Cost: Same As Microwaves

Gastronomy
Req Tech: Extreme Sports (For Sports Foods) AND Genetics (For Health Foods) AND Astronautics (For Space Food)
Cost: Same As 3D Printing

Also change ...

Conglomerates
Req Tech: Manufacturing AND Mass Media AND Franchises

Media Psychology
Req Tech: Knowledge Management AND Virtual Reality AND Gastronomy

Thanks! :goodjob:

Done.
Highway should upgrade to Freeways @ Highway Systems.

I think 10 Freeways should be required for National Interstate Network.

Hmm, do we have Autobahn as World Wonder?

Highway Systems is also about 1940s - 1960s culture, like Drive Ins, Biker Gangs, RV Camping, Hot Rods.

Done.
Highway should upgrade to Freeways @ Highway Systems.

I think 10 Freeways should be required for National Interstate Network.

Hmm, do we have Autobahn as World Wonder?

Highway Systems is also about 1940s - 1960s culture, like Drive Ins, Biker Gangs, RV Camping, Hot Rods.

1. Thanks! :goodjob:

2. Yeah I will move the Highway and Expressways to this new tech.

3. Not made but it was discussed in the Wonder topic. However we do have a Route 66 wonder.

4. Oh Biker Gangs is a good idea for a new crime.

Moved

@MrAzure

Link to video.

Due to the fact Solar Sails have already been invented and tested I think it needs to be moved on the tree. So here are the chnages I want you to make.

Solar Propulsion
Req Tech: Planetary Exploration AND Nanotechnology
Era: Modern

Magnetic Sails
Req Tech: Solar Propulsion AND Asteroid Mining AND Internal Shockwave Engine AND Lunar Tourism
Era: Transhuman

Note this seems more like your idea MrAzure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_sail

Thanks! :goodjob:

How much years each X axis represents in each era?
Well The Transhuman Era starts at x83 and ends at x105, and each X axis is about 15 years.
Since it starts at Year 2000 that means it ends at around Year 2330 which is what I was aiming for. Galactic Era should start around 2400 at x107.
Thats for Transhuman era.

(post was much longer, but it was erased by side mouse button, downloading program to disable them EDIT: Installed program and disabled side mouse buttons. Now I can accidentally click them without bad consequences LOL)

if you look earlier in the thread Vokarya gives some dates for specific techs. From that he moved them around and got it to fit a little bit better. Since techs need to both fit with requirements and be around the right era.

Here are some I plotted out recently based on Vokarya's dates ...

X42 - Printing Press - 1455 AD
X43 - Matchlock - 1475 AD
X45 - Flintlock - 1610 AD
X50 - Rifling - 1756 AD
X57 - Steel - 1855 AD
X57 - Combustion - 1862 AD
X59 - Electricity - 1873 AD
X61 - Radio - 1897 AD
X64 - Zeppelins - 1900 AD

if you look earlier in the thread Vokarya gives some dates for specific techs. From that he moved them around and got it to fit a little bit better. Since techs need to both fit with requirements and be around the right era.

Here are some I plotted out recently based on Vokarya's dates ...

X42 - Printing Press - 1455 AD
X43 - Matchlock - 1475 AD
X45 - Flintlock - 1610 AD
X50 - Rifling - 1756 AD
X57 - Steel - 1855 AD
X57 - Combustion - 1862 AD
X59 - Electricity - 1873 AD
X61 - Radio - 1897 AD
X64 - Zeppelins - 1900 AD

Hmm... Theory of Relativity (I think its referring to Special one) is at X63 and it was discovered in 1905 year. I think X64 would be better, if one X axis for Industrial represents ~10 years.
Its in your tech tree.

Is there any formality on what year new era begins?
Like Prehistoric starts on 50000 BC and X1
Ancient on ??? BC and X19 with Sedimentary Lifestyle
Classical on ??? BC and X27
And so on?

Hmm... Theory of Relativity (I think its referring to Special one) is at X63 and it was discovered in 1905 year. I think X64 would be better, if one X axis for Industrial represents ~10 years.
Its in your tech tree.

Is there any formality on what year new era begins?
Like Prehistoric starts on 50000 BC and X1
Ancient on ??? BC and X19 with Sedimentary Lifestyle
Classical on ??? BC and X27
And so on?

The problem with setting specific dates to the tech tree is the tech tree is not a historic timeline. Its a guide to HOW (not when) different techs were invented. A player can beeline to different techs and get some earlier than others. Thus slowing and neglecting when other techs are invented.

Likewise in real life some techs are discovered at different rates depending upon the civ. For instance in the East was much more advanced than the West during the European Dark Ages. Likewise the Americas were very far behind on the tech tree compared to the Europeans that came.

In short setting X to mean a specific date is impossible to do. The best we can do is say these groups of techs are invented during this era and even then we fudge things if a tech straddles 2 different eras.

Top Bottom