Civilization VI : in the making ?

Genghis is in what passes for a city in ancient Mongolia, Gandhi is on the beach, Alexander is at the foot of a mountain, Napoleon is on a farm, and Hiawatha is in a forest.

Napoleon is in a Marshy land, possibly near a Chateau.. hunting.. gameing.. I don't kn ow.. haha..

Napoleon's and Mada's leaderscreens are actually VERY similar in appearance.

And well, Oda is on Windows XP's default wallpaper.. so.. :lol:

Genghis is in what passes for a city in ancient Mongolia, Gandhi is on the beach, Alexander is at the foot of a mountain, Napoleon is on a farm, and Hiawatha is in a forest.

Yeah, and that city is a few tiny huts in the far back right corner of the background.
On a beach, at a mountain, in some forest, on a farm... WHY THE HELL IS NAPOLEON DOING DIPLOMACY ON SOME RANDOM FARM?! If you can even call it a farm, really, I don't see any farming stuff. The point still stands, all of those leaders are just in random fields, with minimal details in the background (Seriously, what kind of world leader does diplomacy on horseback in the middle of a random foggy farm?

I think Napoleon is supposed to be on a battlefield - after Marengo obviously because he is on the famous horse. Its not supposed to be a farm I don't think...

Seriously, what kind of world leader does diplomacy on horseback in the middle of a random foggy farm?

Tywin Lannister, but inside a Throne Room.

Now let's go back TO TOPIC, shall we? (said from atop a Clydesdale's back...)

I played a few hundred hours of Brave New World alone, yet I feel like I could play hundreds more. I'd rather look forward to playing an Alpha Centauri 2 than a Civ 6.

IMO Civ 5 is a great game. Also I think the graphics are good.

I respect you opinion, but I dont agree.

Civ 6 , like the poster said, will come when there's no more sales from civ5. It just the reality of PC games these days.

Well when it wont be soon. Cause civ V is very very popular right now. Steam online numbers proves it. Talking about me i dont really need new civ 6, im enjoying civ5 very much right now they just could upgrade or patch AI so they could be smarter. Cause deity should be impossible difficulty or atleast near it, now its seems like emperor...

I'm hoping for one more big expansion to Civ 5 to be honest, but I doubt we'll see that. When Civ 6 does come out I hope they concentrate on making the game more complex, reduce penalties for big empires, give us even bigger maps, and if that means toning down the graphics a little then that'd be fine by me!

Basically a strategy game should focus on complex systems of economics, development, science, international relations, and warfare (among other things!), not fancy graphics and being "accessible"...

What I'd like to see (apart from better AI) is more fine tuning control for game settings... instead of default handicaps/gamespeeds give us sliders to alter aspects we want.... like increasing research and not everything else, making barbarians tougher instead of just more numerous without also giving AI huge bonuses, etc.

I hope it doesn't end up like Civ4 and Civ5, where the vanilla is quite poor in general but introduces one or two interesting new features, and all the features from previous games get added back in via expansions ... maybe I'm just getting old and cynical but I am tiring from it, especially since the winning strategies haven't really changed much.

Imo they should:

1) Make an AI that is actually even semi-competent. If Civ IV BtS could do it with Blake's AI mod, the same should be more than possible for professional, full-time developers. I would pay 200 € for a DLC that upgraded Civ V's AI performance 10x. The stupid AI almost ruins the game for me; I refuse to play domination type of games since it isn't fair to pick on the handicapped.

2) Go back to Civ II graphics, or at least make them an option. I only play in Strategic View in Civ V, but it's ugly as hell; imo Civ II achieved the perfect graphical balance between aesthetics and informativeness. There's no need for birds to sing or tanks to jiggle when they're idle on the ground... Spend the time that is used on this fluff on the AI instead.

3) Finally balance the 'sprawling' and 'compact' playstyles. Sometimes I feel like founding a huge empire with 200 cities, sometimes 5 is enough. Maybe make it so that buildings can be built multiple times, to add onto their bonuses? Anything to make it work. Civ V came close but right now Tall >> Wide in most situations.

4) If they keep 1upt, then make it easier to move large amounts of units around! 'nuff said...

5) Make it so that science !>>> everything else. This may be impossible but they should at least try it... It's a major flaw in every Civ game to date.

I hope it doesn't end up like Civ4 and Civ5, where the vanilla is quite poor in general but introduces one or two interesting new features, and all the features from previous games get added back in via expansions ... maybe I'm just getting old and cynical but I am tiring from it, especially since the winning strategies haven't really changed much.

This in onther words called money making.

1) Make an AI that is actually even semi-competent. If Civ IV BtS could do it with Blake's AI mod, the same should be more than possible for professional, full-time developers. I would pay 200 € for a DLC that upgraded Civ V's AI performance 10x. The stupid AI almost ruins the game for me; I refuse to play domination type of games since it isn't fair to pick on the handicapped.

I'm actually happy when i see the AI retreat its troops when it could have killed 2-3 of mines easily and that I don't have much more. :lol:

2) Go back to Civ II graphics, or at least make them an option. I only play in Strategic View in Civ V, but it's ugly as hell; imo Civ II achieved the perfect graphical balance between aesthetics and informativeness. There's no need for birds to sing or tanks to jiggle when they're idle on the ground... Spend the time that is used on this fluff on the AI instead.

Oh, no ! I don't especially like tanks jiggling when they are iddle on the ground because I hardly even notice it, but birds singings are essential ! :D

3) Finally balance the 'sprawling' and 'compact' playstyles. Sometimes I feel like founding a huge empire with 200 cities, sometimes 5 is enough. Maybe make it so that buildings can be built multiple times, to add onto their bonuses? Anything to make it work. Civ V came close but right now Tall >> Wide in most situations.

I'm still playing vanilla and actually Tall can make the deal early, while for science, it is better to maximize out your number of cities. :)

4) If they keep 1upt, then make it easier to move large amounts of units around! 'nuff said...

Absolutely agree. Such a pain in the ass to move your bunch of units from a conquest to the next, especially oversees. That's IMO the biggest cons of 1UPT.

5) Make it so that science !>>> everything else. This may be impossible but they should at least try it... It's a major flaw in every Civ game to date.

It have been like that since Civ1... and that's a little the principle of the series. But I understand that with your Tall > Wide BNW strategies and the science being linked to population, you can feel you lack science lately, with neverending tech research. Well, this is a personnal opinion, but it's not to put onto the game design of Civ. Science is so much important because it allows for better units and finally unlocking winning conditions... it's just that if you don't have enough, other people will kick your ass or reach the end of the game before you... it's only a matter of strategy. Also, maybe victory could be achieved a little differently, with Victory Points, because when you win strongly in lower difficulty levels (~King), the game lasts forever without much interest.

We can pretend that civ6 will be mostly released further than they ''could''(i.e. from a market view) from civ5.

First, they almost killed themselves with a bugged and poor coded game in 2010. Thanks' to Steam they solved a lot of bugs and exploits in real time and made this game still alive today. I doubt they will make the same decision with civ6, especially that they probably already made a lot of profits from civ5(according from steam's popularity games, just my observation) and will continue to do in the near future. They have the time to develop a greater game.

They made a great game in civ4 and mostly built their reputation from that game. People can forgive for civ5 but i doubt they will forgive again.

I suspect a civ6 game for 2016-2017 :)

BNW proved that there's still interest in CiV, and also that the devs are not afraid to completely redesign nonsensical and boring mechanics left from vanilla.

Taking that into account I think there's still place for a third expac for CiV, one that finally fixes diplomacy and ads casus belli to the franchise, there's place for enlightment era and colonization, ravamping the combat system and completing the unit upgrade path to actually make sense. Heck you could even work corporations into the currect mechanics starting form the renaissance.

And thats without mentioning 9 new civs, those are after all, the shiny they showcase with every expansion.

They could have scrapped CiV after vainilla and maybe gave us some spinoff with the same engine while they worked on CiVI. However they choose to fix the disaster that was vanilla, and here we are two expansions later with a game that is very fun, nothing like what we got at launch, I only hope they stick to that vision and redo the stuff that still doesnt work before moving to CiVI

Update the graphics? Those are probably the LAST thing that needs updating. Civ isnt a game about mouth-watering explosion spectacle graphics. They only bog down a game and ensure lower end PC's cannot play it - Civ V initially fell prey to this, right now it's at a good point.
A better AI, on the other hand...

Civ IV Vanilla had a lot more of that problem on initial release than Civ V. Many desktop machines sold only three months before release of Civ IV did not meet the minimum graphic settings. Laptops were worse; those sold the same day of Civ IV release often did not have dedicated memory on their video cards at all, and instead were designed around using the memory on the chip's main motherboard. It took a full year after release (around time of Warlords expansion) for new laptops to catch up.

Civ V's main problem was the game was released nine months before it was ready. Hopefully, they learned from that and will wait until its ready to release Civ VI. In fact, if they are currently working on it now it would be a good idea to hold off any announcements until they are ready for beta testers.

The main thing for firaxis when they develop Civ VI in regards to requirement is that the days of replacing both desktops & laptops appear to be over; and so while it need not run on a machine bought when Vista was the latest version of windows; it will needs to run on machines that were bought even early during Windows 7 life cycle.
In addition, there is a growing market for tablets and so they might be able to make money having a version that can also run on those. (And people with both desktop & a tablet may want to be able to start a game on their desktop but be able to play a few turns of it on their tablet when away from home.)

Imo they should:

#1 Mostly agreed.

#2 Disagree with going all the way back to Civ II computer graphics requirements; a recently bought tablet should be able to handle Civ IV's graphics now.

#3 The global happiness model from Civ V might have been able to work if they hadn't tied it to Golden Ages and national wonders to build 100% of all cities. Also, Civ IV's model was very effective at this until BTS introduced Corporations which made even useless cities useful.

#4 This is mostly a problem with civilian units; to fix this they mainly need to allow civilian units to pass thru other players military units you are at peace with; especially within your own borders.

#5 Science is always going to be important; but if Civ VI restrains from making a whole social policy tree devoted to increasing science it would be a huge step in the right direction. In addition, the 100% rule of national wonders resulted in super early NC. If that national wonder is still in existence in Civ VI, a requirement to have built 5 libraries first would greatly help.

#4 This is mostly a problem with civilian units; to fix this they mainly need to allow civilian units to pass thru other players military units you are at peace with; especially within your own borders..

Don't need a whole new game to do this... Lets talk about triangular tiles!

Update the graphics? Those are probably the LAST thing that needs updating. Civ isnt a game about mouth-watering explosion spectacle graphics. They only bog down a game and ensure lower end PC's cannot play it - Civ V initially fell prey to this, right now it's at a good point.
A better AI, on the other hand...

Graphics don't effect how bad or good the game is despite popular belief.

If Firaxis has one person working on graphics and the other on gameplay it does not have to be balanced.

Well when it wont be soon. Cause civ V is very very popular right now. Steam online numbers proves it. Talking about me i dont really need new civ 6, im enjoying civ5 very much right now they just could upgrade or patch AI so they could be smarter. Cause deity should be impossible difficulty or atleast near it, now its seems like emperor...

I don't think they waited for Civ IV sales to dry up before releasing Civ V - that's not the way these things work. They capitalise on the existing interest in the games while they're still fresh enough to attract an audience.

They got the balance closer in G&K - BNW was a step too far in the wrong direction, and in part because of the decision to link some of the game's most powerful Wonders to policy trees that already favour going tall (Hanging Gardens can change the course of a game; Pyramids ... can't).

This isn't realistically fixable because it's not just a "flaw" in the series, it's at the core of how it was deliberately designed to begin with. On that basis it's questionable whether it can be considered a flaw - it's like arguing Total War's flaw is that fighting > everything else. The board game Sid Meier based Civ had as its goal advancing through the game's tech tree, and the computer iteration was faithful to it to that extent. If it's not a game style you enjoy, probably the Civ series isn't an ideal match.

Features such as Wonders are by their nature fundamentally linked to the tech leader, because only one can be built and the tech leader has the advantage in getting it. Every structure in the game is unlocked by technology: Civ V has made steps towards offering alternative game structures, such as removing government systems and religion from the tech tree and giving them their own mechanics, but ultimately you're not going to get away from the fact that the resources needed to generate policies and religion are themselves produced by buildings and Wonders that you need technology to unlock.

Another move in this direction is the restriction of Wonders to policy trees, so that you can be tech leader but not able to build certain Wonders - as mentioned, this is skewed in practice by the terrible balancing of both the policy trees and the Wonders associated with those trees (only Aesthetics - a strong tree with a somewhat poor Wonder - and Exploration - a weaker tree with a stronger Wonder - break the pattern that already-strong trees have better Wonders than weak trees), but in principle it has promise. It will invariably be a limited approach, however.

#3 The global happiness model from Civ V might have been able to work if they hadn't tied it to Golden Ages and national wonders to build 100% of all cities.

Tying to Golden Ages is fine - it's nice to have a reward for management rather than the traditional Civ happiness system which is nothing but an arbitrary limit which the game forces you to manage to avoid penalties without doing anything to reward good management beyond not having those penalties. Moreover a wide empire will ultimately out-generate a tall one in happiness.

The national wonder system is in need of revision - National College's power level is a problem in any case, but the 'build X of Y' condition - while making them distinctive - hurts wide empires too much while NWs are as powerful as they are. It's fine making them something preferable for tall empires (they only affect the city where they're built, after all), but in that case it's tall empires that need to incur the cost of that benefit, not wide empires. Instead we have a system where NWs are both more awkward to time and build in wide empires, and more expensive in them. Remove the extra production cost of a NW for extra cities at the very least. A trade-off whereby NWs are actually cheaper production-wise the more buildings of a certain type you have might work. You wouldn't need to force players to build X in every city - instead you give them an incentive to build more X if they have more cities, and NW cost scales more appropriately with empire size as a result.

Also, Civ IV's model was very effective at this until BTS introduced Corporations which made even useless cities useful.

Civ IV attempted something slightly different; culture and OCC aside you never played tall in Civ IV, you just expanded more slowly past a certain distance from the capital. ICS was gone, but wide was better than tall. Every civic but Representation and Bureaucracy rewarded more cities over less, as did the religion system with its gold-generating holy buildings, and nothing in the system penalised playing wide. Actively attempting to promote alternative strategies, with supporting policies etc. for each, is a Civ V novelty; no other Civ game tried to encourage playing tall (as in, up to about 4 cities).

And in retrospect, while I long supported Civ V's approach in this regard, it has indirectly validated the older model by demonstrating that playing tall is generally rather boring...

#5 Science is always going to be important; but if Civ VI restrains from making a whole social policy tree devoted to increasing science it would be a huge step in the right direction.

Yes, that would help. Rethinking population = food is another area to look at; Tradition is the strongest early tree because, as the growth/food/happiness tree, it indirectly increases science output more than the other trees. Of course food = science was true in all past Civ games less directly (perhaps especially in Civ IV, where since so many buildings added +% modifiers to particular resources, you needed to have as many people working the land as possible), because more pop = more workers, but at least there commerce production was traded off against production of other resources rather than accumulated for free.

Top Bottom