I am at my wit's end with this game, and the series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizons

Needing fed again!
I have managed to win a number of games on Monarch on randomly-generated archipelagos and been finding this quite fun.

However whenever I get a start on an pangaea or an island with other civs I get slaughtered. I understand the basic strategy in BNW is 'grow a large population or lose' and that ancient warfare has been relegated to barb-hunting, so the strategy is to expand and grow and forget about warfare until at least the Renaissance right?

Well the 'small' bonuses the AI gets on this difficulty seem to me to be utterly enormous. The entire game is made up of choices, i.e. you can either have a building or a unit, and technology in general progresses much more quickly than production so you will always be late to build some buildings and you'll never get to have many units until the late game.

The AI however doesn't have to make choices. It can spam out cities, grow them all without worrying about happiness, get city state allies, and even build units all at the same time.

You can't outgrow the AI because it gets happiness boosts. You can't outproduce. You can't attack with an army because it will be several techs ahead of you (owing to large population growth), and because tech shoots past so quickly by the time you've built a few swords and catapults it will have walled cities, composite bowmen and pikes running around.

I mean ... it's horrible. How is this fun? What's the missing secret that I don't get even after all these years? (Civ4 was equally horrible at the higher difficulties.) How do you win against an AI that is stacked up with such huge boosts even if it is stupid?

I literally don't see any opportunity for war until at least the mid game ... is that intentional? Is warfare supposed to be disastrous and unviable for most of the game? (Why did they bother making so many different units when you can't get any use out of them? Why bother having longswordsmen why by the time you can build two of them the AI has moved on to musketmen?)

So in short, the human at higher difficulties is faced with severe opportunity costs while the AI can do everything ... culture, production, growth, enough units to defend itself.

What am I missing? Is it time to uninstall and forget about this franchise? Or stick to playing in the Prince sandbox with a punchbag AI?

Drop down to King. That's the last fun difficulty level on the game.

Emperor and up is loopy.

I guess I would like it if the AI bonuses increased gradually over the course of the game, instead of the AI having a huge head start at higher difficulties.

But the current higher difficulties do exactly what they're supposed to, which is making the game more difficult. Prince should be more or less neutral when it comes to bonuses, right?

I guess I would like it if the AI bonuses increased gradually over the course of the game, instead of the AI having a huge head start at higher difficulties.

But the current difficulties do exactly what they're supposed to, which is making the game more difficult. Prince should be more or less neutral when it comes to bonuses, right?

It isn't. The AI still gets the chieftain happiness boost because Firaxis can't design an AI that can make use of half the game's core mechanics, which is incredible given CivIV modders can.

Try the settler difficulty. You don't get any extra score for the higher difficulty anyways. Besides, you can take the largest score in this difficulty so that your victories won't be so personal.

He's trying to have fun, not find a sleep aid.

I've read some of the posts the OP has made and it seems to me that civ isn't really the game for you. You seem to complain about the cookie cutter way you'd have to play to be successful but don't seem to want to even give it a go. If you did then you wouldn't lose on king level... Ever. So how could it be cookie cutter if you never try it?

Beelining scientific techs isn't cookie cutter it's simply intelligent. I don't know where you get bogged down because none of your complain posts ever have a screenshot or save file attached. Play a game for 100 turns or so and post screenshots and a save file and somebody would be glad to give you advice on all sorts of different things you must be missing.

I've read some of the posts the OP has made and it seems to me that civ isn't really the game for you.

That's unfair.

I've read all of the posts the OP has made and it seems that Civilization was never really the game for him.

Perhaps you just need to get better at the game, or give it up because it's not your type of game?

I'm playing on the higher difficulties, and managing to out-tech/out-produce etc the enemies and still play around with different strategies and it's great fun.

I vaguely remember that guy Sonereal saying something to me in the past that I did not like as he is the only person here on my ignore list.

Posting saves does jack because nobody can be bothered to look at them.

And yeah, I am sure Firaxis turn every version of Civ into the same crap because of 'fan' feedback. Same old, same old. Lots of choices nominally, but effectively few because if you don't do certain things - you lose. Yawn.

Civ4: Colonization was the absolute worst for this.

I vaguely remember that guy Sonereal saying something to me in the past that I did not like as he is the only person here on my ignore list.

I feel special, and slightly awful, since I haven't been as faithful.

Spoiler :

(Some of you are on there because I'm too lazy to remove you. Love you guys. <3 )

And yeah, I am sure Firaxis turn every version of Civ into the same crap because of 'fan' feedback. Same old, same old. Lots of choices nominally, but effectively few because if you don't do certain things - you lose. Yawn.

Yes?

You guys are right. No need to get that one victory with many points. Failing for the best is better than not trying for the best at all.

It's just a video game. Find you're right difficult level and enjoy.

I totally agree with this. And it doesn't have to be the highest you can win on either. I play on Warlord because I like to expand and grow and have a massive amount of cities, and take over the World. For me, this is only possible on Warlord because of all the massive penalties for going so wide at higher difficulties. Could I win on Prince, and probably King? Most likely, but not playing the way I like to play.

I totally agree with this. And it doesn't have to be the highest you can win on either. I play on Warlord because I like to expand and grow and have a massive amount of cities, and take over the World. For me, this is only possible on Warlord because of all the massive penalties for going so wide at higher difficulties. Could I win on Prince, and probably King? Most likely, but not playing the way I like to play.

This will make you get out of the personal and into the friends or global top ranking easier. You know that already, but just saying.

Does...does anybody who plays Civilization care about ranking? Civilization always felt intrinsically solo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom