Rise of Empires - A Community Expansion Pack!

How much do you agree with what's in the proposition?

• I fully agree!

Votes: 30 44.1%
  • I mostly agree!

Votes: 26 38.2%
  • Meh.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I don't really agree with much.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • None of this is really for me.

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
On the topic of Natural wonders... yeah, El Dorado, King Solomon's Mines and the Fountain of Youth should be removed. I mean, they're not even real. ArnoldI's new NW proposals sound good to me, though I thin we should include such places as the Grand Canyon, Niagara/Angel Falls, Taal Lake (it's a lake in the Philippines, contains the world's largest lake on an island in a lake on an island)/Crater Lake, Lake Hiller (a naturally pink lake)...

Oh, and this awesome natural flaming pit of death:
Derweze, a.k.a., the "Door to Hell"

Following on from Scurvy, I'm compelled to disclose a bit more information about the Attrition component (one of four components that make up my Exploration Continued Expanded mod).

The second type of attrition is from Jungle. When a unit enters a jungle tile in neutral or enemy territory, there is a chance that that unit will become lost (meaning, for all intents and purposes, they are killed) (so I'm using the word attrition as a catch-all term). This chance decreases with every era, though it never obsoletes. This chance can also be dramatically reduced by following rivers or coasts. Certain unique units are naturally immune to Jungle attrition (Leugi's Tupi Archer and the Aztec Jaguar as two examples).

The third and fourth types of attrition are from Snow and Desert. Units ending their turn in one of these terrains have a chance to take damage (Mechanical units like Tanks are exempt) and are unable to heal; the amount of damage or chance never changes. However, units may be granted the "Immunity to Snow" promotion from cities with a Fur Trader, and units may be reprieved from attrition when stepping onto Oases or Flood Plains in deserts. Like with scurvy and jungle, a variety of units are naturally immune to snow and/or desert.

Additionally, Scouts may be upgraded, through experience, with any of the four immunity promotions (Scurvy, Jungle, Snow, Desert). Otherwise, all units receive these immunities should the player complete the Exploration tree.

Finally, a tentative feature is that units born in cities adjacent to or settled on one of these terrains begin with an immunity to that terrain.

There really are a LOT of natural wonders that aren't in Civ 5. If it's impossible to add new Natural Wonders, though, I know that you can theoretically heavily alter existing ones (it's what the Fictional Natural Wonders mod does), leaving 3 slots for new wonders, presuming we just get rid of the fictional ones. My ideas, in no particular order: Ha Long Bay, Mt. Everest, Victoria Falls, and/or Niagara Falls. Thinking of original yields for these alongside new yields for existing wonders seems like a good idea, before making any final picks.

Also, I've kind of hit a dead end with the Golden Gate Bridge wonder. I really have no clue what sort of effect to use, or where to put it in the tech tree. My WTC wonder comes with Electronics and gives a large gold/trade route bonus, so I don't want it to be too similar. Some sort of Tourism/Production bonus seems fitting, however. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Lol. Anyway, if we do get round to implementing an Economic Victory, then it will be nothing like that.

I'd imagine that if you do implement an economic victory that you would actually want to include accumulating gold as part of it. Not all of it, of course, since that would be too simplistic, but definitely a part of it, since requiring the player to stockpile gold would create an opportunity cost that contrasts with other victory paths. If you are stockpiling gold you are not buying buildings or units, not bribing city states, and not engaging in research agreements, all things that assist in completing the other victory conditions.

A religious victory is something that will be included and accommodated by SovRev, so one day it'll be there if ever you decide you'd like it, by itself, in your expansion.

Just curious, but what is SovRev and what does the religious victory condition you mentioned consist of?

On the topic of Natural wonders... yeah, El Dorado, King Solomon's Mines and the Fountain of Youth should be removed. I mean, they're not even real. ArnoldI's new NW proposals sound good to me, though I thin we should include such places as the Grand Canyon, Niagara/Angel Falls, Taal Lake (it's a lake in the Philippines, contains the world's largest lake on an island in a lake on an island)/Crater Lake, Lake Hiller (a naturally pink lake)...

Oh, and this awesome natural flaming pit of death:
Derweze, a.k.a., the "Door to Hell"

Door to Hell, sure...

In all seriousness, I would advocate more Natural Wonders, provided they're possible.

Following on from Scurvy, I'm compelled to disclose a bit more information about the Attrition component (one of four components that make up my Exploration Continued Expanded mod).

The second type of attrition is from Jungle. When a unit enters a jungle tile in neutral or enemy territory, there is a chance that that unit will become lost (meaning, for all intents and purposes, they are killed) (so I'm using the word attrition as a catch-all term). This chance decreases with every era, though it never obsoletes. This chance can also be dramatically reduced by following rivers or coasts. Certain unique units are naturally immune to Jungle attrition (Leugi's Tupi Archer and the Aztec Jaguar as two examples).

The third and fourth types of attrition are from Snow and Desert. Units ending their turn in one of these terrains have a chance to take damage (Mechanical units like Tanks are exempt) and are unable to heal; the amount of damage or chance never changes. However, units may be granted the "Immunity to Snow" promotion from cities with a Fur Trader, and units may be reprieved from attrition when stepping onto Oases or Flood Plains in deserts. Like with scurvy and jungle, a variety of units are naturally immune to snow and/or desert.

Additionally, Scouts may be upgraded, through experience, with any of the four immunity promotions (Scurvy, Jungle, Snow, Desert). Otherwise, all units receive these immunities should the player complete the Exploration tree.

Finally, a tentative feature is that units born in cities adjacent to or settled on one of these terrains begin with an immunity to that terrain.

At last, he reveals his plans... the system is awesome anyway, so I thank you for making it available to the public. :D

There really are a LOT of natural wonders that aren't in Civ 5. If it's impossible to add new Natural Wonders, though, I know that you can theoretically heavily alter existing ones (it's what the Fictional Natural Wonders mod does), leaving 3 slots for new wonders, presuming we just get rid of the fictional ones. My ideas, in no particular order: Ha Long Bay, Mt. Everest, Victoria Falls, and/or Niagara Falls. Thinking of original yields for these alongside new yields for existing wonders seems like a good idea, before making any final picks.

Also, I've kind of hit a dead end with the Golden Gate Bridge wonder. I really have no clue what sort of effect to use, or where to put it in the tech tree. My WTC wonder comes with Electronics and gives a large gold/trade route bonus, so I don't want it to be too similar. Some sort of Tourism/Production bonus seems fitting, however. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Right, Golden Gate Bridge - I'm compelled to say something like 20% extra tourism in all coastal cities, then maybe +1 Gold on all coast tiles. It sounds somewhat balanced to me, though perhaps a little boring.

I'd imagine that if you do implement an economic victory that you would actually want to include accumulating gold as part of it. Not all of it, of course, since that would be too simplistic, but definitely a part of it, since requiring the player to stockpile gold would create an opportunity cost that contrasts with other victory paths. If you are stockpiling gold you are not buying buildings or units, not bribing city states, and not engaging in research agreements, all things that assist in completing the other victory conditions.

I'd agree with that. Perhaps something to do with funding something else directly, like Public Services? I just kinda want to avoid corporations. :p

Just curious, but what is SovRev and what does the religious victory condition you mentioned consist of?

Sovereignty Revised - JFD's mod-in-progress where he aims to overhaul the policy trees (not sure if that is the aim, but he's certainly done that anyway :p), and make them generally more realistic.

Thanks JFD, now I really undersand one of the news of this expansion. Though WWI is a good scenario, I find it too close to BNW and nothing stops us to add civs from all the world.

Btw, the Attriton system is amazing! I was thinking about damage per turn or something like that. Another thing I had in mind was sinking in the ocean, so your ship dies suddenly and cannot be prevented.

About the NW, isn't really anyway to add more of them?

Aand, as I am a very curious guy :p , how is the colonial system?

Aand, as I am a very curious guy :p , how is the colonial system?

Well, I can't reveal everything just yet ;) However, the Colonial system is not the most compelling and interesting part of this mod; it is but a tool to pursue one of the other components.

Oh no, we can reveal colonialism now. Basically, you - *Hears battering down of door. JFD storms in. "Don't reveal the colonialism system and nobody gets hurt!" says he.*

Well, apparently not. I tried. Anyway, don't forget this is a mod by itself, not just part of the expansion - JFD is just a very kind person, that's all. :p

JFD is a very scary guy. I'd better watch my mouth. O.o

I won't give up until you add more civs.(pure determination).

Will the resistance to Atritton decreases according to the number of tiles near to the city?

I wasn't aware you knew that much of the system I was designing :confused: Scattered details, but certainly not the whole thing.

Nope, I don't think I know much, if any of it, to be honest. All I know from what I have is it's simple, yet awesome.

Edit: Or wait, do I? I honestly don't know now.

I won't give up until you add more civs.(pure determination).

I don't really want to add more civs to the equation due to the Firaxis Standard of nine, which I believe are fairly strong choices for the theme anyway. I'd consider replacing them if there's a ton of opposition to them, but I kinda want to keep the civs as logical as possible (and NOBODY mention Israel).

Was this directed to me or?

If so, I made a suggestion in the old thread, not sure if you remember.
Seems to be similar to what you are doing.

It was dually directed at you and Viregel. I expect most of anyone's suggestions of a colonial system are going to share traits; although I differ in my design than what you proposed a bit: no Colonist and rebels/revolutionary consequences are uncertain for the time being.

Will the resistance to Atritton decreases according to the number of tiles near to the city?

Nope. Doesn't really seem necessary.

I don't really want to add more civs to the equation due to the Firaxis Standard of nine, which I believe are fairly strong choices for the theme anyway. I'd consider replacing them if there's a ton of opposition to them, but I kinda want to keep the civs as logical as possible (and NOBODY mention Israel).

I think Israel is a civ which should already be in Civilization for long time as our monotheistic semitic culture was mostly built by them. I really have no clue about Afeghanistan. It's not I dislike it, I simply don't know, so I think this will be very interesting. Always love to know new things because of the game.

It was dually directed at you and Viregel. I expect most of anyone's suggestions of a colonial system are going to share traits; although I differ in my design than what you proposed a bit: no Colonist and rebels/revolutionary consequences are uncertain for the time being.

Do you think you'll take some of my ideas into consideration?
Either way, I believe that you will make an amazing system, as always.

Of course! I've taken everyone's ideas into consideration when designing my system. I've done my research on what ideas have been thrown around these forums over the years, and certainly they have influenced my design direction; more are totally welcome. until my release, the system is a constant development.

Just one completely unrelated question: will the expansion enter the the mods folder (like any other mod) or in the DLC folder (like EUI)?

Ook, thank Viregel.

Edit: isn't Finland UAE a little bit OP? +1 mov. cost is a permanent Great Wall (imagine this WITH Great Wall).

Top Bottom