Going back... Civ IV or V??

windh

Chieftain
Hi folks,

Been away a while from the Civ-scene (actually played Col the most in the series).

But I'm longing for some good Civ...

Just wondering if I should go IV or V. When it first came out, I read a lot of negative things about V, so I guess my real question is: Has it been approved?

If it still has its big main issues I guess IV is the way to go.

I would not call myself a hard-core player at the moment, and don't expect to become one anytime soon.

What do you guys think?

All the best,

I think they are both great games now; I was sorely disappointed with Civ V at release but picked it up again about a year ago after it had had its two expansions and found it was a much better game. I go a bit back and forth between them now since they are different enough to both be worth playing for different reasons. (Civ IV has an advantage in a large number of very well-done and quite radical mods.)

For reference: I have sunk a ridiculous number of hours into Civ games ever since 1991.

I think they are both great games now; I was sorely disappointed with Civ V at release but picked it up again about a year ago after it had had its two expansions and found it was a much better game. I go a bit back and forth between them now since they are different enough to both be worth playing for different reasons. (Civ IV has an advantage in a large number of very well-done and quite radical mods.)

For reference: I have sunk a ridiculous number of hours into Civ games ever since 1991.

Interesting. Thanks. I do like the look of Civ V, it would be neat to give it a try.. But looks aren't everything..

Civ 5 vanilla out the box was pretty, but really not worth more than a game or two. Don't bother.

If you can pick up complete (BNW) inexpensively, it well worth it.

Gold V (GnK) is also very good and has a lot of replay value. I am not sure how much more I would pay for BNW over GnK, but I waited for a Steam sale and it has very much been worth the extra $7.50!

Civ 5 vanilla out the box was pretty, but really not worth more than a game or two. Don't bother.

If you can pick up complete (BNW) inexpensively, it well worth it.

Gold V (GnK) is also very good and has a lot of replay value. I am not sure how much more I would pay for BNW over GnK, but I waited for a Steam sale and it has very much been worth the extra $7.50!

Interesting. Thanks.

I can get a physical copy of Civ V -Complete Edition for around $45 here in Sweden... Decent price?

Interesting. Thanks.

I can get a physical copy of Civ V -Complete Edition for around $45 here in Sweden... Decent price?

Nope.

Wait for a Steam sale, one is probably imminent. The whole collection, all DLC's included, should cost 20 US$ or less in a sale.

Steam is your friend when it comes to oldies sale-offs... ;)

What Aristos said.
Civ V complete is a worthwhile game, but so is Civ IV. They really are different takes on Civ, tho. Civ IV is much more unit-intensive IMO.

Windh, within the Civ V forum, you'll see majority support for Civ V. Within the Civ IV forum, you'd see majority support for Civ IV for similar questions.

If your question is "Has CivV improved since release ?" then yes. The game is much much better with BNW than when it was released in 2010.

There are still fundamental differences with Civ4 and it's too hard to really say which one you would prefer. For example some people dislike 1 unit per tile in Civ5 and that is obviously still the case and on the other hand some people welcome this change. Both games have pros and cons.

Ok thanks for the info guys.. Yes, I had a hard time deciding on which forum to put this in, but since I've played IV but not V, I chose this one.

I'll look out for a Steam sale.. What's the difference between Gold and Complete, then? Is it Complete I should be looking for?

Ok thanks for the info guys.. Yes, I had a hard time deciding on which forum to put this in, but since I've played IV but not V, I chose this one.

I'll look out for a Steam sale.. What's the difference between Gold and Complete, then? Is it Complete I should be looking for?

Yes! That version has it all.

Civ V is guaranteed to be on sale at the end of November and/or in December on Steam, likely 75% off, so don't pick it up until then. Each day through the sale it will probably be on a 33% sale... wait for the day it is 66-75% and get the complete version.

I wouldn't consider it a hard and fast rule, but generally speaking, I'd say the less hardcore of a Civ IV player you are (which seems to be the case for you), the more likely you will enjoy Civ V. Vanilla Civ V was not very fun... with all its expansions, I've now had just as much fun with V as I did with IV.

I wish Civ IV was available in a 1920x1080 16:9 native version.

Hey, Firaxis? Work on that, ok?

Civ V is guaranteed to be on sale at the end of November and/or in December on Steam, likely 75% off, so don't pick it up until then. Each day through the sale it will probably be on a 33% sale... wait for the day it is 66-75% and get the complete version.

I wouldn't consider it a hard and fast rule, but generally speaking, I'd say the less hardcore of a Civ IV player you are (which seems to be the case for you), the more likely you will enjoy Civ V. Vanilla Civ V was not very fun... with all its expansions, I've now had just as much fun with V as I did with IV.

Cool. I've never bought anything on a Steam sale before... Is it always like that? First a few days at 33%, then up to 75% at the end? Is there a way to get a notification? It's not even possible to add Civ V Complete Ed. on the Steam wish list.. :mad:

I wish Civ IV was available in a 1920x1080 16:9 native version.

Hey, Firaxis? Work on that, ok?

Say what??? I play @1080p all the time, all settings maxed, using Blue Marble, and it really shines...

Cool. I've never bought anything on a Steam sale before... Is it always like that? First a few days at 33%, then up to 75% at the end? Is there a way to get a notification? It's not even possible to add Civ V Complete Ed. on the Steam wish list.. :mad:

Typically they have a week of sales in which games are at a reduced price, and then one of those days it will be one of their deals of the day (actually 48 hours) at the lowest price available... could be Monday, could be Friday so you have to check each day. Someone always mentions it on the forums here too so keep on the lookout once the sales roll around.

Civ V (with BNW and all associated DLCs and expansion packs) if you like a pretty game right out the box (quite immersible and tolerable in terms of depth and gameplay mechanics).

Civ IV if you enjoy a little more depth/micromanagement and better AI (especially with the use of one of the AI mods that you can download and slap on from the Civ4 C&C forums). Install blue marble for graphics that aren't much of a step down from Civ 5.

1-UPT/Carpet-of-doom vs Stack-of-doom. (Btw, the AI is laughably pathetic at handling one of these.... )

As for steam sale, you might not even have to wait that long - it tends to go on sale somewhat randomly/sporadically and fairly frequently, so all you'd really need to do is check once a day and pick it up as soon as you see that lovely discount :).

As for steam sale, you might not even have to wait that long - it tends to go on sale somewhat randomly/sporadically and fairly frequently, so all you'd really need to do is check once a day and pick it up as soon as you see that lovely discount :).

An even easier bet is that the Steam "Christmas" sale should be rolling around soon (has started as early as the week of Thanksgiving before).

Top Bottom