[Tip] Top 5 Best Civilization for Military-based Domination victory

I think spain is up there because the conquistador is a really good unit, though worse than the NE and kheshik of course. The tercio is useful as well, definitely better than russia or even germany for war monging.

I think I'll make a Top 10 list because this one I made was quite difficult to make because it was cramped. Top 10 would be flat out better, and if it would help others, I'll do that.

i prefer war elephants to muslim cavalry for general use

Until I realized you were talking about Siam's elephants and not India's, I almost lost all my respect for you :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Siam's elephants are nice, but can't take cities easily, which makes them relatively stronger on deity where you have lots of units to kill. Camel archers seem quite versatile, though. You get some of the move-shoot-retreat tactics of keshiks coming into play.

I'm new to the forums so take this with a grain of salt but one of my favourite warmongers is still Babylon. I know their unit isn't really that outstanding for war. It's good and I know it can be used but it's not as offensive as some. However Babylon can pretty much grab any tech it wants before any other civ so if you grab a war tech you become a warring nation.

A Let's Play (LP) video by w a i n y makes a pretty compelling argument that Bowmen are one of the stronger UUs in the game now that Archers are cheap.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=432741

I still tend to think that Monty is the better warmonger now because upgraded Jaguars are good throughout the game and are so difficult to kill. It's very close, though.

The reverse was true pre-patch because of the ease with which Babylon could reach Steel. Babylon was arguably even a better warmonger than Mongolia due to the Steel rush and the potential for super-early Rifles.

I still tend to think that Monty is the better warmonger now because upgraded Jaguars are good throughout the game and are so difficult to kill. It's very close, though.

Upgraded jags avoid one of the primary pitfalls of melee units by not taking nearly as much damage when attacking. I almost feel that jags have more in common with bowmen than with other melee units for this reason.

Jags are powerful but somehow I can't get into playing as montezuma. I like the feel of other civs a lot better. I have watched that LP and played that way as well on my own. It's quite fun.

Jags are powerful but somehow I can't get into playing as montezuma. I like the feel of other civs a lot better. I have watched that LP and played that way as well on my own. It's quite fun.

Monty seems alright. But I haven't gotten around to playing with him like I should.

Monty seems alright. But I haven't gotten around to playing with him like I should.

I'm kind of a role-playing civver. I don't like sacrificing people (I never used that in Civ4 either) so that's kind of my main reason for not liking him.

I'm kind of a role-playing civver. I don't like sacrificing people (I never used that in Civ4 either) so that's kind of my main reason for not liking him.

Role playing civver...
Last time I checked civ was a turn based strategy game.
At least its better than senslessly complaining.:crazyeye:

I'm curious how people rate Hiawatha's ability to make swordsmen (UU equivalent thereof) without iron. This seems like a pretty big plus to me, but my general strategy is based in getting an early sword rush in and I have been really hamstrung by lack of iron in some games.

LoL. Think that it is for their own good (sacrificed people). That might help ;)
(joking ofcourse)

I'm curious how people rate Hiawatha's ability to make swordsmen (UU equivalent thereof) without iron. This seems like a pretty big plus to me, but my general strategy is based in getting an early sword rush in and I have been really hamstrung by lack of iron in some games.

It's environment-defining in multiplayer and helpful in single player. A proper Iron rush otherwise involves settling Iron, which can be time-consuming or impossible depending upon circumstances. Hiawatha's ability guarantees the ability to attack and spares the bother of having a Settler ready to go when Iron is revealed, which translates to several more units.

Mine are;

1. Attila (you can kill Mongolia well before they get Keshiks)
2. Mongolia
3. England
4. China
5. Songhai

They are in a weird place in the tech tree if you go that route prior to Universities you need to get significant damage done.

1. Huns: Battering rams crush early and HAs are amazing with staying power and mobility.
2. Arabia: Camel archers will carry you and the civ has great bonuses.
3. Mongolia: Replace "camel archers" with Keshiks.
4. China: CKNs get a lot of play and XP.
5. Zulu: Impi and cheap armies snowball, and no civ game is complete without Shaka.

#1 Huns: Horse Archer Spam = Win. Battering ram from a ruin = dead capital turn 10. Plus extra hammers UA.
#2 Arabia: Camels = win + mass luxuries to trade for happiness, Desert folklore, Petra bias
#3 Mongolia: Keshiek = win Khan are pretty awesome as well.
#4 China: Chukonu are amazing, Libraries that pay you plus stronger GG. holy molly.
#5 England: Longbows, enough said
#6 Russia: Mass production, tons of horses for chariot/horse spam. Mass resources for special late units such as nukes, rocket artillery, bombers, battleships etc..
#7 Zulu: Impis + low maintenance Units & crazy upgrades

#1 Huns: Horse Archer Spam = Win. Battering ram from a ruin = dead capital turn 10. Plus extra hammers UA.
#2 Arabia: Camels = win + mass luxuries to trade for happiness, Desert folklore, Petra bias
#3 Mongolia: Keshiek = win Khan are pretty awesome as well.
#4 China: Chukonu are amazing, Libraries that pay you plus stronger GG. holy molly.
#5 England: Longbows, enough said
#7 Russia: Mass production, tons of horses for chariot/horse spam. Mass resources for special late units such as nukes, rocket artillery, bombers, battleships etc..
#8 Zulu: Impis + low maintenance Units & crazy upgrades

since you forgot #6......England: Ships of the Line...see Longbow explanation but on water :lol:

since you forgot #6......England: Ships of the Line...see Longbow explanation but on water :lol:

Whoops! I typed that up pretty quick. I didn't include ships of the line because domination victories are usually achieved on land maps. Although ships of the line are massively OP in their own right. Especially since Frigates are already way OP for their time period.

Any list that doesn't put Babylon near the top cannot possibly be correct, I'm thinking. Unless you don't want your key military unit(s) 10 turns earlier?

Back
Top Bottom