The Enlightenment Era

I have to agree that Humanism doesn't fit. Martin Luther was a humanist, as was Thomas Moore, though I dunno about Machiavelli. I would say Liberalism works as a good alternative - appropriate for both the Academy and the Salon.
Liberalism is by far the best candidate, given that politically the enlightenment was very much defined by the struggle between Conservatism and Liberalism (and the place of the monarch, regardless) with Nationalism thrown into the mix in the later stages of the era. This is of course more than a little bit Eurocentric, but hey, so is the entire basis of this mod :p

What's more, I'm not 100% sold on the World Congress coming into play when it does, on Sovereignty. I've always seen the pre-UN world congress as a sort of Metternich / Concert of Europe affair (hence the word 'congress'), so to come into play during the Renaissance, rather than in the Industrial era or at least the late Enlightenment, is a bit jarring. That might be because I don't know what this mod actually means by 'Sovereignty' though.

I know these are all historical / thematic issues, which are normally really not a problem when compared to gameplay, but given that this mod is entirely based around recreating a historical period I thought I'd bring them up anyway.

Unfortunately, there seem to be some errors. First and foremost, the Wat Phra Kaew doesn't do all it's supposed to do. Although the science bonus is there, the city-state base influence boost isn't there.
Apparently they decided to change the effects of Wat Phra Kaew because there's no code anywhere I can see to implement the city-state resting-point change -- but the faith-purchased buildings generating extra science is coded for the Wat Phra Kaew. So either they decided to change the effect and forgot to update descriptions, or they forgot to implement the city-state resting-point effect. I also didn't see anything in the in-game tooltips re the extra science from religious (faith-bought) buildings.

Pouakai & etc.:
I did find a bug here:

Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------
-- Crystal Palace effect (5% GP Generation for each GW)
-- Author: JFD
--------------------------------------------------------------
local buildingCrystalPalaceID = GameInfoTypes["BUILDING_EE_CRYSTAL_PALACE"]
local buildingCrystalPalaceGPPID = GameInfoTypes["BUILDING_EE_CRYSTAL_PALACE_GPPG"]
function JFD_GPGenerationFromGWs(playerID)
	local player = Players[playerID]
	if (player:IsAlive() and player:CountNumBuildings(buildingCrystalPalaceID) == 1) then
		for city in player:Cities() do
			if city:IsHasBuilding([color="red"][B]?[/B][/color]) then
				city:SetNumRealBuilding(buildingCrystalPalaceGPPID, city:GetNumGreatWorks())
			end
		end
	end	
end
GameEvents.PlayerDoTurn.Add(JFD_GPGenerationFromGWs)
Nothing is specified in the code where the red question-mark appears.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason I'm looking through all the code of the mod is I am working out what I can do for compatibility in my Era Buildings mod, and what changes/adjustments I'll have to make to make Era Buildings a little less desynchronized if a player is using both Era Buildings and Enlightenment Era.

Also I think this might streamline the processing of GameEvents.CityCanConstruct.Add(JFD_Building_ClassesNeededInCityOR) since it will not do as much processing for buildings that have no entry in the new game-table Building_ClassesNeededInCityOR.

I don't believe so. The function directly queries the database, and so will only process buildings being passed by the game event. In this case, it'll only ever process one building - the Museum.

1. That's community patch.
2. There are no cavalry units in the modern era, as well. Besides, what time is the Cuirassier from, exactly?

Out of curiosity, I was about to download JFD's Exploration Continued Expanded mod - does anybody know if ExCE's Explorer/Adventurer play nicely with EE's Explorer/Surveyor? Or do they conflict with one another?

I don't believe so. The function directly queries the database, and so will only process buildings being passed by the game event. In this case, it'll only ever process one building - the Museum.
Actually the code as you have it will process through multiple lines of code before ever getting to the decision point where it determines whether the building is one of the ones (or the one, in this specific case) you are interested in. It will do this for every building within the game's database.

The code as I suggested will only process anything within the conditional block when the building in question is listed in the table I called tBuildingClassInCityORS.

So given the current structure of the SQL database table Building_ClassesNeededInCityOR (it only holds info for the Museum) only in the case of the Museum building will anything be done except to immediately return "true".

See Data driven code technique

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The construction of the lua table called tBuildingClassInCityORS is done on game-loading, and therefore does not create apparent lag to the player in real-time.

The function HasBuildingClass is only called to run when the building being checked for CityCanConstruct is within the table tBuildingClassInCityORS. While scanning through all pairs of data related to the building that are listed in SQL table Building_ClassesNeededInCityOR the function will return "true" for CityCanConstruct upon the first encounter of finding one of the prerequisite building-class buildings within the city.

This mod will not work fully with the Ayyubid UA - there is no mounted unit assigned for the Enlightenment Era, therefore Amir Al'munin is pointless during the Enlightenment.
Noted, the Ayyubids are in need of an update anyway so I'll just add that to the list.

1. That's community patch.
2. There are no cavalry units in the modern era, as well. Besides, what time is the Cuirassier from, exactly?
I mean, there aren't exactly any cavalry units it can be assigned to in the modern era. Unless we follow the update path and move to the armour units (Landship / Tank / Modern Armour)

Out of curiosity, I was about to download JFD's Exploration Continued Expanded mod - does anybody know if ExCE's Explorer/Adventurer play nicely with EE's Explorer/Surveyor? Or do they conflict with one another?

I believe JFD just removes all of EE's changes and does his own thing

What a mod! Sorry for saying it, but I was surprised how good it was. Which doesn't sound like a compliment, I know, but it's.

Noticed the Wonder CS resting state thing though. And the Salon is perhaps missing some description. You have to enter the pedia-page to learn it has a culture modifier.

Also! Could you make a link to this thread in your signature. I like navigating between your stuff using that.

Wat Phra Kaew's effect is going to be changed to +1 Science for Religious Buildings, which is what it was originally and what we have code for. Next update will bump tech costs up a bit, as well as fixing the bugs people have reported and adding in zwei's Cuirassier - just need to work out whether we're just going with one of the models or whether we're going to try include both, Tercio style

Actually the code as you have it will process through multiple lines of code before ever getting to the decision point where it determines whether the building is one of the ones (or the one, in this specific case) you are interested in. It will do this for every building within the game's database.

Wouldn't the processing saved be negigliable?

ExCE hasn't been updated yet. They'll conflict for now.

Liberalism is by far the best candidate, given that politically the enlightenment was very much defined by the struggle between Conservatism and Liberalism (and the place of the monarch, regardless) with Nationalism thrown into the mix in the later stages of the era. This is of course more than a little bit Eurocentric, but hey, so is the entire basis of this mod :p

What's more, I'm not 100% sold on the World Congress coming into play when it does, on Sovereignty. I've always seen the pre-UN world congress as a sort of Metternich / Concert of Europe affair (hence the word 'congress'), so to come into play during the Renaissance, rather than in the Industrial era or at least the late Enlightenment, is a bit jarring. That might be because I don't know what this mod actually means by 'Sovereignty' though.

I know these are all historical / thematic issues, which are normally really not a problem when compared to gameplay, but given that this mod is entirely based around recreating a historical period I thought I'd bring them up anyway.
By the way Pouakai:
Any thoughts on what do you think on my romanticism era ideal.
.P.S. I agree the world congress should be moved to The Enlightenment Era.:)

Romanticism is hardly an era. It fits nicely as a tech and in the dichotomy between the Academy and the Salon. World Congress at Renaissance I consider to be fine - it represents the Peace of Westphalia and the emergance of, well, Westphalian sovereignty (i.e. the concept that civ is based on from the start :lol:). Plus, having the WC for longer never hurts.

Another thing I noticed. Building the Smithsonian doesn't give you an Academy if the city has a Salon. Which might be intended for balance, but I'll just say it. It doesn't follow the "rule" that Free buildings are added by wonder even when prerequisites isn't met (i.e. garden without fresh water from the Hanging Gardens and Castle without walls, Alhambra).

Another thing I noticed. Building the Smithsonian doesn't give you an Academy if the city has a Salon. Which might be intended for balance, but I'll just say it. It doesn't follow the "rule" that Free buildings are added by wonder even when prerequisites isn't met (i.e. garden without fresh water from the Hanging Gardens and Castle without walls, Alhambra).
I think you will find if you try it in a city without a Salon the result will be the same. IE, they forgot to add the <FreeBuildingThisCity> designation to the EE Smithsonian.

Romanticism is hardly an era. It fits nicely as a tech and in the dichotomy between the Academy and the Salon. World Congress at Renaissance I consider to be fine - it represents the Peace of Westphalia and the emergance of, well, Westphalian sovereignty (i.e. the concept that civ is based on from the start :lol:). Plus, having the WC for longer never hurts.

It would be interesting to "split" the Enlightenment Era into the "Enlightenment Era" proper (roughly the 18th century) and something like a "Romantic Era", roughly from Napoleon to the Revolutions of 1848 ("the end of Romanticism"). While the first is aristocratic, with wigs, culottes and tricornes, the second is more popular, nationalistic, with trousers, top hats, bicornes and shakos (for what I saw, the aesthetic of the EE units are more of the later than the former). But I don't know if we have significant differences between these two enough to make two distinct Eras in Civ5 (for example, the units, the warfare, etc. except for aesthetic details like I mentioned, seem to be quite the same).

It would be interesting to "split" the Enlightenment Era into the "Enlightenment Era" proper (roughly the 18th century) and something like a "Romantic Era", roughly from Napoleon to the Revolutions of 1848 ("the end of Romanticism"). While the first is aristocratic, with wigs, culottes and tricornes, the second is more popular, nationalistic, with trousers, top hats, bicornes and shakos (for what I saw, the aesthetic of the EE units are more of the later than the former). But I don't know if we have significant differences between these two enough to make two distinct Eras in Civ5 (for example, the units, the warfare, etc. except for aesthetic details like I mentioned, seem to be quite the same).

Romanticism was more of an 'Aesthetic movement' than an 'Era', and the romantic movement was a Reaction to the rise of Industrialism in Europe. It affected a lot of art and (in Civ terms) 'happiness' features, but not, strictly speaking, technology, warfare, religion or any of the other primary Civ concerns. You can make a case that Romanticism is a Social Policy that gives a temporary boost to production of Great Artists, Writers, or Musicians, and possibly makes Zoos and Parks in cities a little cheaper to build (see the Romantic Landscapes that painters cranked out in the early 19th century - everybody wanted a little 'wilderness' in the city!).

Top Bottom